I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

I can advice...

I have nothing but the best to say of your island, and the people that live there. We stopped in Funchal in 2005, rented a car, and had a most enjoyable day driving around, up over and through your island.

The island of Maderia is one of the few places I've been to where I immediately looked into how much it costs to live there.

• 3 months later...
I can advice...

I found 3 tours of the Island described below:

1. WEST Island

2. EAST Island

3. NUNS VALLEY

Which tour do you recommend, and why?

WEST of the Island

From sea-level in Funchal, we cross the mountain pass (from where both sides of the island are visible) down to the rugged beauty of the north coast, where Atlantic rollers describe a line of white surf below heroic cliffs. After lunch we traverse Madeira's highest plateau with all its spectacular panoramas before heading for home again.......

Departing from the heart of the Lido we pass through the first traditional fishing village, situated five kilometers from Funchal lies Câmara de Lobos which inspired the late Sir. Winston Churchill to paint it's lovely surroundings. The village was given its name by the explorers João Gonçalves Zarco and Tristão Vaz Teixeira because of the shape of its bay and the many sea lions living there at the time. Our drive continues to Cabo Girão, the second highest sea cliff in the world and the highest sea cliff in Europe.

Next we make our way to Ribeira Brava and head north, up through the deep and narrow valleys of Serra D'Água. You will then reach Encumeada a special place at the top of the valley where you will be met with an incredible view of both the south and the north coast of our beautiful island.

We make our way to São Vicente, one of the most predominant villages of the northen coast of Madeira; there you will be able to visit the main Church, built in the 17th century. Our next stop is at the beautiful village of Porto Moniz where you will have approximately 1 hour for lunch as well as time to admire the amazing volcanic swimming pools.

Driving to Paul da Serra lies one of the biggest natural park reserves of the world. The last stop of this delightful tour will be at Bica da Cana, where nature is at it's peak.

EAST Madeira Island Tour

After visiting the highest (drivable) peak in Madeira, we head down to the coast through original forest to the last home of Madeira's emblematic straw-roofed houses. Passing pretty villages and stunning seascapes, we arrive at the very easten point for some superb views of the bold north and sunny south coasts in one panoramic vista.......

Leaving the Lido where our tour begins, the first stop is Camacha, a beautiful small village a few kilometers out of Funchal. It's best known as the centre of Madeira's willow craft industry and for it's traditional folklore dance groups.

Our drive continues towards the mountain Pico do Arieiro. At an altitude of 1818 metres it is the third highest peak on the island and affords breathtaking views.

On the northern slopes of the island the tour reaches a popular starting point for 'levada' walks, Ribeiro Frio. With its interesting trout pools, this area still has much of its original vegetation. The island was once completely covered by 'Laurissilva' forest, a relic from prehistoric times.

Time for lunch in Santana that is characterized by its small thatched triangular houses.

Next stop not to be missed is the place known as Penha d'Águia in Porto da Cruz, here the views are absolutely amazing with an imposing rock that separates Porto da Cruz from Faial.

Past Portela we will go towards Ponta de São Lourenço, situated in the eastern part of the island, this is the place where a fantastic combination of rocks, sea and nature combine.

The last town to be visited is Santa Cruz where Madeira's new Intercontinental Airport is situated, boasting a runway of 2781 m length which has given the island a new image for the new millennium.

NUNS VALLEY tour Madeira

This is a journey to the centre of Madeira Island where dramatic, cloud-topped mountains descend to verdant valleys in a most spectacular way......

After boarding the coach in the centre of the Lido we first make our way up to Pico dos Barcelos at an altitude of 335 metres, this viewpoint terrace, with its profusion of flowers shows us a magnificent prospect of the south coast of Madeira.

We then make our way to Eira do Serrado where you will find one of the most exclusive and beautiful views, not to mention a great "green" location unlike any other in Madeira.

The journey down to the Nuns Valley (Curral da Freiras) village takes approximately 20 minutes where guests will enjoy the countryside, forest brushes mixed with populated areas with quaint houses typical of the Madeiran society.

Once the tour reaches Nun's Valley, you will immediately see a small village nestling between almost perpendicular mountains in the heart of the island.

The huge cauldron in which Nun's Valley is sitting was either formed by erosion, which is the more recent theory, or as many still believe, by volcanic activity. The village is very isolated and locals mainly live off what they cultivate. The local chestnuts are delicious and are used in everyday cooking. Every year locals celebrate the 'Chestnut Festival' for which the village is famous.

1. WEST Island

2. EAST Island

3. NUNS VALLEY

I don't think the resident expert OP has been around these parts for awhile, so I hope somebody else who has been there can help.

We have a port call in Madeira later this year. In my research, these are the standard tours offered by several suppliers. We've decided to do Nun's Valley, primarily because it's a half-day tour & we'd still have time for sightseeing in & around Funchal. Both the East & West Island tours are full-day & we didn't want to be committed that long.

• 3 weeks later...

1. WEST Island

2. EAST Island

3. NUNS VALLEY

WEST of the Island

From sea-level in Funchal, we cross the mountain pass (from where both sides of the island are visible) down to the rugged beauty of the north coast, where Atlantic rollers describe a line of white surf below heroic cliffs. After lunch we traverse Madeira's highest plateau with all its spectacular panoramas before heading for home again.......

Departing from the heart of the Lido we pass through the first traditional fishing village, situated five kilometers from Funchal lies Câmara de Lobos which inspired the late Sir. Winston Churchill to paint it's lovely surroundings. The village was given its name by the explorers João Gonçalves Zarco and Tristão Vaz Teixeira because of the shape of its bay and the many sea lions living there at the time. Our drive continues to Cabo Girão, the second highest sea cliff in the world and the highest sea cliff in Europe.

Next we make our way to Ribeira Brava and head north, up through the deep and narrow valleys of Serra D'Água. You will then reach Encumeada a special place at the top of the valley where you will be met with an incredible view of both the south and the north coast of our beautiful island.

We make our way to São Vicente, one of the most predominant villages of the northen coast of Madeira; there you will be able to visit the main Church, built in the 17th century. Our next stop is at the beautiful village of Porto Moniz where you will have approximately 1 hour for lunch as well as time to admire the amazing volcanic swimming pools.

Driving to Paul da Serra lies one of the biggest natural park reserves of the world. The last stop of this delightful tour will be at Bica da Cana, where nature is at it's peak.

EAST Madeira Island Tour

After visiting the highest (drivable) peak in Madeira, we head down to the coast through original forest to the last home of Madeira's emblematic straw-roofed houses. Passing pretty villages and stunning seascapes, we arrive at the very easten point for some superb views of the bold north and sunny south coasts in one panoramic vista.......

Leaving the Lido where our tour begins, the first stop is Camacha, a beautiful small village a few kilometers out of Funchal. It's best known as the centre of Madeira's willow craft industry and for it's traditional folklore dance groups.

Our drive continues towards the mountain Pico do Arieiro. At an altitude of 1818 metres it is the third highest peak on the island and affords breathtaking views.

On the northern slopes of the island the tour reaches a popular starting point for 'levada' walks, Ribeiro Frio. With its interesting trout pools, this area still has much of its original vegetation. The island was once completely covered by 'Laurissilva' forest, a relic from prehistoric times.

Time for lunch in Santana that is characterized by its small thatched triangular houses.

Next stop not to be missed is the place known as Penha d'Águia in Porto da Cruz, here the views are absolutely amazing with an imposing rock that separates Porto da Cruz from Faial.

Past Portela we will go towards Ponta de São Lourenço, situated in the eastern part of the island, this is the place where a fantastic combination of rocks, sea and nature combine.

The last town to be visited is Santa Cruz where Madeira's new Intercontinental Airport is situated, boasting a runway of 2781 m length which has given the island a new image for the new millennium.

NUNS VALLEY tour Madeira

This is a journey to the centre of Madeira Island where dramatic, cloud-topped mountains descend to verdant valleys in a most spectacular way......

After boarding the coach in the centre of the Lido we first make our way up to Pico dos Barcelos at an altitude of 335 metres, this viewpoint terrace, with its profusion of flowers shows us a magnificent prospect of the south coast of Madeira.

We then make our way to Eira do Serrado where you will find one of the most exclusive and beautiful views, not to mention a great "green" location unlike any other in Madeira.

The journey down to the Nuns Valley (Curral da Freiras) village takes approximately 20 minutes where guests will enjoy the countryside, forest brushes mixed with populated areas with quaint houses typical of the Madeiran society.

Once the tour reaches Nun's Valley, you will immediately see a small village nestling between almost perpendicular mountains in the heart of the island.

The huge cauldron in which Nun's Valley is sitting was either formed by erosion, which is the more recent theory, or as many still believe, by volcanic activity. The village is very isolated and locals mainly live off what they cultivate. The local chestnuts are delicious and are used in everyday cooking. Every year locals celebrate the 'Chestnut Festival' for which the village is famous.

I don't think the resident expert OP has been around these parts for awhile, so I hope somebody else who has been there can help.

We have a port call in Madeira later this year. In my research, these are the standard tours offered by several suppliers. We've decided to do Nun's Valley, primarily because it's a half-day tour & we'd still have time for sightseeing in & around Funchal. Both the East & West Island tours are full-day & we didn't want to be committed that long.

Hi Red Hat Cruise Cat and MightyQuinn,

West and East tours are standard full day tours. First time visitors to Madeira usually choose the West tour, leaving the East tour for a next opportunity. Both tours are very good though.

The Nun's Valley is a half day tour, but if you do some search, you'll find that some tour operators do a more complete tour for the same lenght of time.

Hope this helped.

Has anyone a good idea of what places will be open on a Sunday, which is unfortunately when we will be in Funchal. We have been there before, and were hopeful that we could do shopping and touristing things.

jc

Hi xpcdoojk,

As far as touristing things are concerned, you can ride the Cable Car and the Toboggans. Cable cars ride all day, but Toboggans run only until 1pm on Sundays.

For wine tasting and buying you can visit a speciality wine shop and embroidery you'll find in souvenir shops.

Supermarkets are open and also the bigger shopping centres.

If you need any further info, feel free to ask.

Biaria, last time we were there there were a bunch of nice shops and designer clothing and shoe stores near a church courtyard not too far from the pier. Will those be open?

So, if we want to ride the Toboggan we need to do that in the morning?

thanks

jc

Hi jc,

I think you are refering to the area near the Cathedral, those shops are all closed on Sunday. However, not too far away from the pier, you can visit Marina Shopping, where you can find some good shops, it is open on Sunday, from 10am to 10pm.

That's right, you'll have to ride the Toboggan in the morning.

Edited by biaria

Hi jc,

I think you are refering to the area near the Cathedral, those shops are all closed on Sunday. However, not too far away from the pier, you can visit Marina Shopping, where you can find some good shops, it is open on Sunday, from 10am to 10pm.

That's right, you'll have to ride the Toboggan in the morning.

Yes, there was a nice little cathedral and a courtyard there. The courtyard was full of Smart Cars that day when we were there. A whole bunch of versions that we don't get here in the USA, including one that was a cute two seater convertible sports car.

That is too bad that those shops are closed, are the shops in the marina similar?

One of my favorite bits of the town was the inlaid stones in unique designs on each little pedestrian street.

jc

Yes, that area that starts in front of the Cathedral, and that goes all the way to a roundabout, is called Placa Central and is where lots of our exhibitions and festivities are held, that's why it was full of Smart Cars when you visited.

Just before you reach the roundabout, and on your left if walking from the Cathedral, you'll find Marina Shopping. Shops there are very nice and trendy.

I think I better warn you not to mistake Marina Shopping with the Marina. Marina is where small boats are docked and is full of restaurants. It is, also, where you can take several boat trips of .

Interesting you mentioning the stone designs on the pedestrian streets.

I have nothing but the best to say of your island, and the people that live there. We stopped in Funchal in 2005, rented a car, and had a most enjoyable day driving around, up over and through your island.

The island of Maderia is one of the few places I've been to where I immediately looked into how much it costs to live there.

How easy is it to rent a car and then drive around? My DH loves to do DIY tours. Is it complicated to get around? Can you advise a rental car company, please? I prefer one who will bring the car to the dock and pick up from there. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for taking the time and effort to help all of us. Can you recommend a private driver for the day? We do not generally enjoy organized ship excursions and prefer to go at our own pace with a private driver. We love wine tasting and especially enjoy dining for lunch at local establishments as opposed to tourists spots. Thank you again.

MamaQuack

Dear MamaQuack,

You're very much welcome.

I'd love to help you with the private driver but, as a local, I'm not allowed to recommend any businesses based here.

Hopefully, somebody else will answer your question.

You'll be able to do your wine tasting and I'm sure your driver will choose a good restaurant for you.

Have an enjoyable day in Madeira. Bye.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to help all of us. Can you recommend a private driver for the day? We do not generally enjoy organized ship excursions and prefer to go at our own pace with a private driver. We love wine tasting and especially enjoy dining for lunch at local establishments as opposed to tourists spots. Thank you again.

MamaQuack

Hello MamaQuack....we used Daniel of www.danielmadeirataxis.com in April for our tour of the island. I found him as a recommendation from another person on Cruise Critic. We weren't disappointed! He was able to take us to everything we wanted to see, plus more. He tailored our day to suit us, because we had reservations in the afternoon for tea and therefore were doing more than a half-day tour, but less than a full-day tour. He was so sociable, knowledgeable, friendly and just a very happy person. He knew all about the island and was able to answer all our questions. He met us after dropping us off at the cable car, and tobaggon ride, and took us to a wonderful local restaurant for lunch where I was persuaded to eat a Black Scabbard sandwich....and was I glad I did....the best sandwich ever!!! The prices were very reasonable too.

I would not hesitate to recommend Daniel and I hope you do a tour with him. You will take away many happy memories of lovely Madeira!!

Enjoy your cruise and day on Madeira!!

Thank you to everyone for suggesting Daniel. He sounds exactly like our Vincente in Rome and our Alberto in Capri - our kind of guy. I know we will be pleased - have emailed him this a.m. Now I am worried he will already be booked - yikes! Will keep you posted. Thanks again to each of you .

MamaQuack

Hi nadure,

To visit Porto Santo when you're based in Funchal, you can either go by plane or by boat, being much more economical if you choose the boat trip, which will take you there in about 2 and a half hours.

Fares vary a lot, depending on the time of the year.

Hope this helped.

We used Daniel last year and recommend him highly. He is professional and passionate about Funchal. Daniel is a family man and his lovely wife Eusebia will respond to all your email questions. Daniel will provide the exact tour you desire and you will not be disappointed. He has become very popular so do book early.........................Marty

Biaria,

Thank you for all the great information. Do you know the prices for the cable cars to Monte and to the Botanical Gardens? Is there a package that includes admission into the gardens and the cable car rides? Also, can we use an American credit card for the tickets, or must it be in euros? Thank you again!