Private Operators in Ocho Rios

Indytraveler83

Hello,

We will be visiting Ocho Rios in February from the Carnival Dream.

I've used Carnival sponsored excursions in the past, but the offerings aren't looking very appealing for our group of 6 for the upcoming trip, so I'm looking at private operators. Has anyone had experience with a good tour operator?

Here's what we are looking for:

1) our group really wants to zip line

2) we would like more than just zip lining. Something else interesting like going to the blue hole, river rafting or something else somewhat adventurous

3) No visit to Dunn's River falls. Sorry, this place just doesn't really appeal to us, and looks far too crowded to be much fun.

4) maximum tour cost of around $100-120 per person

Any operator suggestions or your suggestions would be great! thanks!

Hello,

We will be visiting Ocho Rios in February from the Carnival Dream.

I've used Carnival sponsored excursions in the past, but the offerings aren't looking very appealing for our group of 6 for the upcoming trip, so I'm looking at private operators. Has anyone had experience with a good tour operator?

Here's what we are looking for:

1) our group really wants to zip line

2) we would like more than just zip lining. Something else interesting like going to the blue hole, river rafting or something else somewhat adventurous

3) No visit to Dunn's River falls. Sorry, this place just doesn't really appeal to us, and looks far too crowded to be much fun.

4) maximum tour cost of around $100-120 per person

Any operator suggestions or your suggestions would be great! thanks!

I use http://www.knowjamaica.com/

I recommend you do a private tour so that you can do whatever you want whenever you want.

For 6 people it will be around $45-50 per person for KnowJamaica and you pay your own way into any attractions. (Blue Hole is $10 for example)

From what I have seen zip lining is not in the list of the most popular activities in Jamaica and tends to be expensive. ($80-$90)

Finally, I wouldn't immediately scratch off Dunn River Falls just because of crowds. They handle the crowds very well. There are 6 of you and you will go off in a group of 16-25 so that means you'll be with 10-19 other people holding hands going up the falls. Yes, there will be tons of other people around but you will hardly notice them as you'll be focused on you and your group. :)

We used Chris Linton from

chrisjamaicatours.com.

We went all the way from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios. 2 hr each way! Chris was great!

Ocho is his hometown, so he loved to tour from there!

We did the Blue Hole and Scotchie's. He charged us $220 for 4 of us, but only because he had to drive so far to get to us in Montego.

Chris is awesome! And we cannot wait to tour with him again this November! From Ocho this time!!

• 2 weeks later...

On our last visit we used Peat Taylor. He took us to Dunn River Falls, tubing on the White River, and a side trip to the Jerk Center for some authentic Jamaican food. One of the best tours we have been on.

I'm on the same cruise as you...First time in Ocho Rios we used Phil Lafayette and plan to use him again this trip. Just look up jamaicaphil to find his web sight. His prices are fabulous and he's an awesome tour guide.

I'm on the same cruise as you...First time in Ocho Rios we used Phil Lafayette and plan to use him again this trip. Just look up jamaicaphil to find his web sight. His prices are fabulous and he's an awesome tour guide.

I'll second that!

We've gone with Phil Lafayette several times, and the next time we are in Ocho Rios we'll use his services again. He and and daughter go WAY outta their way to see that you have a great tour. Highly recommend him!

Edited by satbeachbill

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

To give you another option, I have been to Jamaica a few times and used marks tours with Mark Morris as the guide. I've gone on many vacations and have used many tour companies and have never enjoyed myself more than with Mark. If you contact him in advance of your trip and tell him what you are interested in he will arrange a trip for you. He is very professional and makes you comfortable through the whole trip. He is exteremly educated on the island and all aspects of the culture and makes the trip entertaining while sharing about the island. I am actually planning to use him again in the coming months. I don't have much interest in writing reviews of trips, but I was truly blow away by this experience and happy to show support for Mark so others could also share in this experience. His prices are great and again I would strongly recommend using Mark. He is on trip advisor and you can reach him at mark@markstours.com.

• 6 months later...
Just to add to the confusion I'll throw out that I highly recommend Ricardo at libertytoursjamaica.com. He customized a private tour for our group and the price was so reasonable. It included everything - transportation, entry fees, and lunch. Our group ranged in age from 13-65 and everyone had a fantastic time. It was one of the best excursions we've ever been on. He responded right away and was very professional. He came highly recommended on Trip Advisor and we definitely agree after having used him.

Did he encourage you to register on Cruise Critic and post 35+ replies in a single day recommending him or did you decide to do that on your own?

Just curious.

Just on my own if that's okay. Was going to do the same tomorrow for Bernards tours in St Martin when I get time because they too provided exceptional service to our group of 18. If you ever go there make sure to use them. ...they even provide free rum that is sooooo good. That was actually my favorite excursion. Our driver, the mailman, went above and beyond. I could sit at airport beach for goes. Ahhhh. Hope you get to go see it!