Inexpensive hotel in the FRENCH QUARTER

Heidict

We are looking into going on a cruise on the Granduer on 1.7.06. We were hoping to come into NOLA on 1.4.06 and stay for a few nights.

We (husband, my mother and myself) have never been to NOLA before and know nothing about it. Is the French Quarter the place to stay and the place where, if not all, then most of the action is? Any areas we should stay away from?

What hotels have you stayed in and liked or not liked? Why? How much did you pay? We are looking into probably getting 2 rooms (unless we can find a reasonably priced suite with a seperate bedroom).

I have gone to alot of websites, but no one is giving quotes 12 months in advance. We probably won't book the room for a while, but I love to research and can't wait to see what there is!!!!:p

Any other thoughts on hotels in NOLA? Thanks for all your help!

Heidi

There are a lot of nice hotels around the french quarter that will be less. There are so many things to see. I suggest you stay close to the riverwalk which is in walking distance to the french quarter and the world famous Bourbon Street.

I like to research as well and would suggest that you look up hotels right now and see which ones you like. Then you can watch for rates as the time passes and maybe catch some deals.

I have stayed at the Ambassador hotel on Tchoupitoulas and I have stayes at the Springhill Suites, both not in the French Quarter, but near. In the french quarter I have stayed at The Bienville House Hotel and The Hotel St. Pierre. Also know that the hotels in the quarter are older and are not going to be what you may be use to unless they have been recently renovated. They are not dumps, just not newer.

I mostly paid a rate around $99 a night for these hotels. Sometimes cheaper depending on when I booked and if there was a special rate. Oh, I also forgot the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza on Poydras. That is farther away close to the Superdome, so I would not suggest you stay there.

• 5 weeks later...

I just got the St Louis Hotel on Rue Bienville in the heart of the FQ for $75/night!!! Never have stayed here, but have eaten in their fabulous restaurant. This is for 3 nights in May, midweek. When I looked up the Holiday Inn for the same period it was $160/night and up!! no way, too much money for a HI.

Happy cruising, Kathy

Hi Heidi. Y'all will love our city! (I'm from N.O., was just there yesterday for lunch at Gumbo Shop.)

If you go here: http://neworleansonline.com/ you'll find everything you need to know about our wonderful city. You can click on 'accommodations' for all the hotels in the Quarter. If you look to the right and see 'site tools', click on "Good Times Guide". Order it (complimentary booklet) now, and you'll find lots of coupons, hotel rates, discounts, etc. It's worth it's weight in gold!

Contrary to an above poster, I think all the hotels in the Quarter are very nice, not a really bad one down there. They aren't new, but then N.O. isn't a new city.:rolleyes: Most all the hotels have the old world charm that N.O. is known for. You can get some really great deals by doing a little 'homework'. Good luck. ORDER that Good Times Guide.....you'll be glad you did.

I stayed at the Ambassador in NO January 15, '05. I booked the room online for $102 using Hotel Hotline.com I called the hotel a few days before and there was a date mixup on my reservation. They would not correct it and said I needed to call hotelhotline. I called hotelhotline and they corrected the problem. Glad I called and checked befor my trip.

My wife and I got to the hotel around 9:30 pm after flying all day from the west coast. We were each lugging two large bags and the doorman just stood there while my wife was struggling with opening the hotel door and carrying two bags. We made it to the front desk on our own. The front desk clerk must been having a bad day. No eye contact, just very curt. The hotel added a manditory $4.95 communication fee. Not sure what this was but it certainly wasn't helping the staff communicate with guest.

Got to our room #408. It was very small with no exterior windows. It had one window that look out into an inside hallway. The room had water damage and a 2 foot square of black mildew on the ceiling. It also smell moldy.

I'm not into fancy hotels and a Motel 6 is fine with me. But this place was way below my standards. Clean and confortable is all I wanted. This place was just creepy.

Oh my goodness! Sorry to hear the attitudes of the doorman and clerk; no excuse for that. I wouldn't have stayed in a room that smelled like mold, especially with no window to get fresh air - did you ask to be changed? I'm not much of a complainer, but I think this type service needs to be addressed in a letter to the manager. You can find out his/her name on the hotel's site. Mgmt needs to be aware of the attitude of employees. (I was in the hotel industry, and I would want to KNOW.)

I love New Orleans and have been there a good many times over the years as we live fairly close. I would say that you should stay IN the French Quarter, and not any of the places that say 'within walking distance'. The Quarter is a fairly big area if you are walking it, and so having to tack on 3 blocks just to get to the edge of it is not my preference, if I can help it.

Last January we had a group of folks meet up down there and had a blast staying at The Chateau hotel (www.chateauhotel.com) - we did a lot of looking around and they gave us the best rates at $79 a night. It was a bit of a pain because they do not book thru their website - you actually have to MAIL them a deposit check (how archaic!) but we did it and all went well and we got the great rates. The Hotel Montelone is a fabulous old hotel - we have got rooms booked there in June for the $99 summer rate but not sure what you can get in Jan. Check them out tho. Also, my parents' favorite hotel (they have been staying there for probably 40 years) is the Hotel Provincial. Great place and they have suites and 'petite suites', many overlooking little courtyards. These are some suggestions of places I have stayed in recently, but there are lots of great hotels.

You are going to have a great time there!

Just my two pence.. and I haven't been there yet.. but some friends and I are going to be going to NO in October for a cruise. and we've booked a villa at one of the local bed and breakfasts.. We booked the Grand Villa at the Chez Nous BnB.. which is in the Marigny district.. and it's like $220/night, but it's three bedrooms.. enough for all our guests and one extra.. ...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived