Derailment of White Pass-Yukon Railroad Today, 7/23

Chenega

I was on the WPYR a week ago on Wednesday, 7/16 and did the Bennett Scenic Journey, Skagway to Carcross, through Chilkoot. Wonderful trip, the weather cooperated and everyone we were with had a great time. Mike from Chilkoot and the staff on the train were all friendly and a pleasure to be with.

Please, don't let this derailment cause you to alter your plans.

The WP&YR is shut down until they figure out what happened :(

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 23, 2014

The White Pass & Yukon Route Railway, headquartered in Skagway, Alaska, confirms that one of its scheduled scenic excursion trains partially derailed this afternoon near Milepost 20 northeast of Skagway. The location of the derailment is on a section of track that routinely handles thousands of passenger excursion trips across the scenic and historic White Pass & Yukon Route, constructed at the turn of the century. The derailment involved two vintage locomotives and four passenger rail cars.

Early reports indicate that there were multiple injuries, although none of them appear to have been life-threatening. “Any injury connected to our rail operations, whether to our passengers or our employees, is always considered serious” said John Finlayson, President of White Pass & Yukon Route Railway. “Although we have not yet identified the specific cause or causes of this incident, a thorough investigation has been undertaken, and all reasonable efforts will be made to ensure that safe operations remain the overriding focus of our workforce and management team.”

White Pass & Yukon Route rail operations have been temporarily suspended to allow its investigation to proceed and expert analysis of the cause to be completed. It is anticipated that rail operations will resume as soon as the company can assure the safety of its passengers and employees. “Safety is, and always will be, our number one priority” Mr. Finlayson said.

I was on the WPYR a week ago on Wednesday, 7/16 and did the Bennett Scenic Journey, Skagway to Carcross, through Chilkoot. Wonderful trip, the weather cooperated and everyone we were with had a great time. Mike from Chilkoot and the staff on the train were all friendly and a pleasure to be with.

Please, don't let this derailment cause you to alter your plans.

We were there too, same day. Great trip, awesome weather, beautiful scenery.

Yikes, also, today the Alaska RR had to bus people Fairbanks to Denali. I'm sitting in Fairbanks now, and was told the track is now clear for my train tomorrow.

Today DW and I took Alaska Railroad dome car from Anchorage to Talkeetna and then jumped back to the Wilderness Express dome car for the balance of the trip to Fairbanks. We were warned last night that the train may not go all the way due to a rock slide. This morning we were told that northbound looked good, but southbound was iffy. We passed the southbound and it appears all issues are resolved. Fantastic 12 hours!

I'm on the oosterdam now. Captain just announced all excursions on the railroad are cancelled for tomorrow. We have a car booked also, so we should be ok. My kids are disappointed there will be no train ride. Hope everyone is ok. Very scary.

Glad everyone is alright.

I have been reading Cruise Critic since it was a news group and don't ever remember reading about any issues - so this must be a first for the RR.

Looking forward to doing the Lake Bennett trip next year for the first time :D

We have a ticket Monday the 28th, Skagway to Fraser. I think we may have to switch to Plan B. This was a highlight of our trip. Maybe they will get it cleaned up by then!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the steam train excursion a week ago Friday. It was a wonderful tour and DH thought it was the best excursion we took. I wouldn't be afraid to take this tour again - if I decided not to ride a train on a line because of a derailment at some point in time, I'd never ride a train again.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=795943140438415&set=gm.542826609177321&type=1&theater

Here is a link to a great picture of the derailed train at the White Pass Summit. It is pretty lucky that one of those passenger cars did not roll into the lake. Thank God there were no causalties and that no one was seriously hurt!

321&type=1&theater

Here is a link to a great picture of the derailed train at the White Pass Summit. It is pretty lucky that one of those passenger cars did not roll into the lake. Thank God there were no causalties and that no one was seriously hurt!

321&type=1&theater

Was it necessary to post the identical message 3 times within 5 minutes?

DON

Scary! I'm glad that there were no real serious injuries. (At least from the early reports, there haven't been.)

This is the first time I've ever heard of this train excursion have any issues.

We were in Skagway 7/24 and I thought it was odd that we never saw a train sitting on the tracks. We didn't hear about the derailment, but that's probably because we were off doing our own thing, hiking to Yakutania Point and Smuggler's Cove. Blissfully oblivious!

Glad that nobody got hurt and that we hadn't planned to ride the train that day.

We were in Skagway last week and drove rental to Emerald Lake. Construction was going on due to rock avalanche and road was closed for awhile. Quite a few avalanche signs through our drive.

How long were the delays? I'll be doing the drive next week and want to estimate how late I can leave the ship and get back by 7:00 PM. I'm planning to give myself 7 hours for the round trip since I like to make lots of stops and take pictures.

Wow, I heard a few days ago that there was a derailment on the White Pass but didn't know it was the day we were in Skagway. A lot of our fellow cruisers took the train that morning but looking at the time it happened, most were probably back on the ship as we sailed away at 4pm. The Crown Princess and two NCL ships were there when we left. Glad to hear nobody was seriously injured.

I did the train ride back in 2006 and had a great time. I'm sure they're taking extra precautions to make it safe.