Cruising with 3 year old?

Hi, my husband and I have been on Explorer of the seas twice, before we had a daughter. She is now 3 years old, or will be when we plan on going on Navigator of the seas Sep. 30th. I have a few questions, because being kidless before I didn't really pay any attention.

1) In the dining room what sort of a selection do they have from the childrens menu? She is somewhat of a picky eater, but is just now starting to try new things, and eat veggies & meats. (she was adopted from Ukraine a year and a half ago and ate only what I refer to as fish porridge, so she has come a very long way!) I am pretty sure she will like Johnny Rockets & Windjammers, but we want to go to the dining room with her for dinner. She is very well behaved in resturants, so we don't think that will be a problem, just wondering about the kids menu.

2) She is completely potty trained, so can she be in the main pools with us? Or do we always have to go to the childrens pool with her? We will do that for her, but we also want to enjoy the pool area.

3) We are going to book a D1 balcony room on the 10th floor, it only has a shower. SHe isn't the fondest of showers, but will take it without grumbling about it. Is there bathtubs in the fitness shower areas? Or would someone suggest something else? I thought about a small blow up pool that would fit in the shower, the 1.99 ones you can get at the drugstore, and just toss it when we are done. Is the no bathtub in that room really a big issue? I REALLY don't want to spend the extra 800 bucks for a junior suite, but I will ask about an upgrade when we get to the port.

4) Should I lug our stroller with us? It folds quite nicely, and she is still very small. 36 inches tall, and 26 pounds. I was thinking it might be easier for her to have her own place to relax as we explore around, or would a stroller really be too much to deal with?

5) We are sailing western caribbean, ochos rios, labadee, cozumel, and grand cayman. What shore excursions would be good for her? I was thinking the turtle farm in grand cayman. My husband really wants to do the dunns river falls thing, and my mom will be going with us, so she has offered to watch her. But I was looking and there is a boat trip one that does the falls and then explores some of the island. Does my mom and daughter HAVE to do the falls? Or is there a place where they can go to watch? Or should we really just not take them on this excursion? And I know car seats are really only an American thing, but is it even allowed to take a 3 year old on an open bus tour?

6) Since my mom is coming with us and staying in our room, the couch is what pulls out into a second bed, right? I can not imagine my mom and three year old having to be on a pullman up in the air.

Any other advice on cruising with your three year old? She loves to go do new things, and has no problem sleeping new places, and is giving up naps, and starting to get away from that strict schedule. We love to travel and thought that this would be a great time to introduce her to cruising. And we like that she can participate in the childrens activities, but we don't have to leave her alone there. I am just not sure about having someone I don't know watch my 3 year old while we go out in the ports. So hence my mom is coming with. Any other advice is greatly appreciated!:o

Well, i don't think I can answer all your questions but I will give my input on some :)

As far as a children's menu, I have never seen one.... however if you ask for something they will usually get it for you, Pasta and sauce, grilled cheese, hot dog, anything you can think of they will usually be able to get for you.

If she's potty trained she can go in the main pools..... I have never seen any restrictions except no diapers.

I think the blow up tub is a good idea, however it will need to be very small to fit in the shower. I don't THINK the fitness area has them.

I would bring a stroller. Especially if she is well behaves in one. She may sit better for shows and stuff in that than in a seat, and it will be MUCH easier to push her around on the islands when it is hot and she won't want to walk!!

As far as Dunn's River....she doesn't HAVE to climb the falls with your Mom. They can hang around at the bottom, enjoy the view and watch you climb :) When I visited the falls you could go up as little or as far as you wanted, and they are beautiful. As far as other excursions I am not sure.

Even if you don't want someone else watching her, I URGE you to let her get involved in the Adventure Ocean activities They ARE GREAT!! I traveled with a friend who has a 3 year old and every time she tried to take her to dinner she would ask to go back upstairs. She absolutely LOVED it. Especially the pirate parade they do :) And when my friend would leave her daughter there for activities they would give her a pager to carry with her that way if something went wrong or she just started asking for Mommy, she could be reached right away and go up and get her. I thought the Adventure Ocean staff was great!!!

Jen

Adventure.... 67 days

Jewel 2005

Explorer 2004

Voyager 2002

Monarch 1994

1) The kid's menus are like you would find in any restaurant. They always offer the popular kid faves like pizza, grilled cheese, hotdog, pasta, etc. We have no problem finding something for our EXTREMLY picky (now 6 year old) child. Our toddler isn't as picky, thank goodness.

2) I am not familiar with that particular ship, but I know that there is usually an 18 and over pool on most ships. She won't be allowed there. But since she is pt, she will be allowed in the other pool. I would check the RCCL web site for deck plans and see if it lists the "main pool" as 18 and over.

3) The dollar store blow up tubs work. The shower heads usually detach so you can sit her in the bottom of the shower.

4) As far as stollers, on one ship I brought the BIG stroller, the second cruise I brought the lightweight umbrella stroller that you can get at a store for about $17.99. I think the next time I am going to stick with the umbrella. The benefit of lugging the big one is the storage room underneath. But it makes it SOOO difficult to hand over to the tender boat operators. So umbrella stroller it is for us next time.

5) This is the first western itinerary we are doing too (always have done eastern in the past), so I have been looking at the excusions as well. The turtle farm looks like a great one. The falls...my personal opinion....how far away and how long will you be away from the boat (that your mother and daughter) are on when you go to the falls. I thought from the port to the falls is a pretty long trip (by bus I know it's 2 hours). Will your daughter have the temperment to sit that long and not get off the boat?

6) Yes, the couch is a second bed. :)

You don't have to leave your child alone on the ship when you go to ports, I never do. But I do LOVE the kids clubs. Some kids love the clubs (like mine), some get very upset being away from mom and dad (so be prepared).

Have a great time!

we have 3 kids,the youngest will be 6 this year.we have cruised with them for the last 4 years,

your cruise will be fine,there is a kiddies menu,plus they will make many things that she fancies even if it isnt.you can take her to any pool as long as it isnt the adult only one....we did this once....couldnt understand the terrible looks we were getting,until we were pointed out the sign:eek:

adventure ocean is great,its lovely to have just a little time for YOU!!

bring the stroller if she settles well in it,plus sometimes its nice to know where they are!!

i think it will be a little tight for a pool in the shower so maybe a little play in the bottom of your shower might do the trick(thats what we used to do ,she didnt even realized shed had a shower...and i even got her hair washed !!!)

have a wonderful cruise........

1) The falls...my personal opinion....how far away and how long will you be away from the boat (that your mother and daughter) are on when you go to the falls. I thought from the port to the falls is a pretty long trip (by bus I know it's 2 hours). Will your daughter have the temperment to sit that long and not get off the boat?

Ocho to the falls is maybe a 10 minute drive. Montego Bay however is two hours.

Dining room staff on Jewel in 10/04 were outstanding when it can to making sure our then 13 month old DD had food she would eat.

Just mention on the first night if there is an standing order you might want to place for her, and they can have it ready as soon as you're seated.

Our daughter snacked on rolls and fruit while we placed our orders and had the first course, and then her main dish came out with our entrees. And they were great about getting her another dish if she didn't want to eat the first one for whatever reason.

Have a great time!

Wendy

She can go into the main pool...but she will love the kid's pool where she can play with you watching her instead of holding her.

I also think she will enjoy Adventure Ocean....you can bring her and take her out as you please. My daughter was 8 when we started cruising and she loved it...really the kids beg to go. When you see it in action you might be more comfortable. There will still be LOTS of family time. They close for lunch and in the late afternoon.

She is young for eating dinner with kids so I would not even consider that. When she gets older she will want to go (and you might enjoy a dinner with DH)

Hope you have a wonderful time...make lots of memories.

My 3 year old son and I have cruised 3 times together. His first cruise was at 19 months, then at 2 years, then 2 1/2. We're going again this May and he's 3 1/2 now - so we've had experiences on many age levels!

1. Take an umbrella stroller!! The one we have has now visited all the Southern, Western Caribbean and Alaska! You can hang bags on the handles, they are lightweight so they are easy to fit on tenders and taxis, and cheap! They also fit down the ship's hallways easily and do not take up room in your cabin. You can fold and stash in the closet or under the bed! Don't leave home without one!

2. The dining room offers the usual kiddie menu. Once the waiter meets your child, they go out of their way to bring them what they like. They even have "surprises" like ice cream or cookies if you approve! Our waiter on Mariner always had an origami character waiting for my son to play with.

3. I've always just showered with my son in the shower. It saves time and it's so easy because you can just take the handheld and wash them without getting the bathroom wet! I wouldn't fool with a tub unless you think she just will flip over a shower.

4. As far as sleeping, we've done it a couple of ways. Once on a cruise that my Mom went on with us, he slept between us on the full size bed and my sister slept on the pullman. On the Mariner, it was just me, my son, and my Mom. He and I slept on the single bed together. My Mom slept on the other single bed. Pulling out the sofa bed takes up so much room. Get the pullman and let your Mom or hubby sleep up there. It's roomy and it doesn't take up space and it can be made up all the time. You have to pack up the sofa bed in the day to have room.

Have a wonderful trip!

Hope this helps.

SeaBreezy

Agree with SeaBreezy - go for the pullman. Whoever sleeps in it vs the sofa bed will appreciate it.

As far as the fitness facilities - I belive you have to be 16, so she would not be able to use the shower, etc. facilities there.

We did the western itinerary on Mariner last year - as far as shore excursions, the turles sound like agood idea. I think the stingrays could be a little scary for her. As far as Coz goes, if Chankanaab is open when you go, she might enjoy that. If not, maybe Paradise Beach. The downtown area can get congested and the sidewalks aren't very wide in some places - could be tough for a stroller.

Have a great cruise! Your little girl will be talking about it for months afterward!

Just returned from the Voyager with my almost three year old. The stroller was a lifesaver. It helped waiting at the airport, in security or customs lines, getting off the ship at ports, and getting around the ship late in the day when I was tired. Of course, we have four kids, so it was nice to know one of them was safely strapped in somewhere! I got a lightweight stroller (Babytrend at Babies r Us - $40) with a basket and hood. It also reclined, which came in handy when she was exhausted.

Yes, they have a kids menu, but they'll be accommodating to whatever needs you have. My three boys ate off the regular menu, but I did a little of this and a little of that for my daughter. Ex: I would order the soup from the regular menu, chicken tenders from the kids menu and asked for a side of vegetables and/or fruit for her - Not that she ate it all, but she picked from each thing. You never know what she'll eat from one day to the next!

As far as ports...it rained almost our entire cruise, so we were limited. She went to Stingray City with us and Cozumel's Paradise Beach. Of course, her favorite was just playing on the beach (even though it was pouring). I certainly wouldn't recommend Stingray City for three year olds, but she is dragged around wherever the others want to go!!

For the first few days, she started out in a pack n play, but ended up in a regular bed. If you use a pack n play, bring your own sheet and blankets.

Have fun!

Lisa

Hi, my husband and I have been on Explorer of the seas twice, before we had a daughter. She is now 3 years old, or will be when we plan on going on Navigator of the seas Sep. 30th. I have a few questions, because being kidless before I didn't really pay any attention.

1) In the dining room what sort of a selection do they have from the childrens menu? She is somewhat of a picky eater, but is just now starting to try new things, and eat veggies & meats. (she was adopted from Ukraine a year and a half ago and ate only what I refer to as fish porridge, so she has come a very long way!) I am pretty sure she will like Johnny Rockets & Windjammers, but we want to go to the dining room with her for dinner. She is very well behaved in resturants, so we don't think that will be a problem, just wondering about the kids menu.

2) She is completely potty trained, so can she be in the main pools with us? Or do we always have to go to the childrens pool with her? We will do that for her, but we also want to enjoy the pool area.

3) We are going to book a D1 balcony room on the 10th floor, it only has a shower. SHe isn't the fondest of showers, but will take it without grumbling about it. Is there bathtubs in the fitness shower areas? Or would someone suggest something else? I thought about a small blow up pool that would fit in the shower, the 1.99 ones you can get at the drugstore, and just toss it when we are done. Is the no bathtub in that room really a big issue? I REALLY don't want to spend the extra 800 bucks for a junior suite, but I will ask about an upgrade when we get to the port.

4) Should I lug our stroller with us? It folds quite nicely, and she is still very small. 36 inches tall, and 26 pounds. I was thinking it might be easier for her to have her own place to relax as we explore around, or would a stroller really be too much to deal with?

5) We are sailing western caribbean, ochos rios, labadee, cozumel, and grand cayman. What shore excursions would be good for her? I was thinking the turtle farm in grand cayman. My husband really wants to do the dunns river falls thing, and my mom will be going with us, so she has offered to watch her. But I was looking and there is a boat trip one that does the falls and then explores some of the island. Does my mom and daughter HAVE to do the falls? Or is there a place where they can go to watch? Or should we really just not take them on this excursion? And I know car seats are really only an American thing, but is it even allowed to take a 3 year old on an open bus tour?

6) Since my mom is coming with us and staying in our room, the couch is what pulls out into a second bed, right? I can not imagine my mom and three year old having to be on a pullman up in the air.

Any other advice on cruising with your three year old? She loves to go do new things, and has no problem sleeping new places, and is giving up naps, and starting to get away from that strict schedule. We love to travel and thought that this would be a great time to introduce her to cruising. And we like that she can participate in the childrens activities, but we don't have to leave her alone there. I am just not sure about having someone I don't know watch my 3 year old while we go out in the ports. So hence my mom is coming with. Any other advice is greatly appreciated!:o

I cruised with our 2 year old two years ago and we just booked another cruise this sept for our daughter is going to turn 5 during the cruise and our son who will be one two days before the cruise. I have a little insight!

1. I know we are always on a rigid strict schedule with our children, it helps us have calm and control over our lives and homes. But on a cruise relax the rules a little and try new things and different things. Not enough to scare your child. Obviously to book a cruise iwth your daughter shows that she is open to some change (as are my children) (my sister would never dream of taking her child on a cruise becuase her daughter cannot handle a change).

2. I never ordered off the children's menu for my daughter. Every meal was an adult meal for her. She even had rack of lamb! if the menu is really odd for one sitting i ordered from the everyday selection (grilled chicken or grilled fish with steamed veggies). I ordred alot of those fruit soups WHICH SHE LOVED, breakfast was easy, just ceral or french toast. I refused to order from the kdis meal, she can chicken nuggests at McDonalds!!!! IF you try a dish that your daughter is refusing to hesitate to ask for something else. They see it all the time!

3. at her age, does she really need a stoller? and does she really stay in it that long to constitute lugging it around? If you have to take an umbrella stroller.

4. Although you may not feel comfortable, when we took a double decker tour of halifax novia scotia canada with her, we held her in our laps. We did NOT take a carseat. I dont' think there will be anyroom in the cabin to have it.

5. We would taker her back into the cabin for a late nap toward 4 pm We all had a short siesta woke up refreshed and ready for dinner. She even stayed up late with us.

6. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take advantage of the Ocean Club onboard. ITS FREE!!!!!!!! drop her off as needed! She will have fun I promise. Don't be uptight up that!

7. the cabin steward used to leave my daughter cookies and milk each night in our balcony cabin (good cabin choice becuase there is more room) for our daughter. what a touch!

8. YOU have fun!

ps congrats on your new child!

We were on the Navigator last March and there is no Adventure Beach on that ship. There is a section of the main pool that is for kids. The kids were a little disappointed, no slide like many of the other ships we have been on. They got over it fast though.

Archived