Need help with travel insurance

halbob

Has anyone found a good price on travel insurance other than going thru Princess? We are planning to sail in Nove. on the Sapphire to Hawaii.

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks,

HALBOB

Has anyone found a good price on travel insurance other than going thru Princess? We are planning to sail in Nove. on the Sapphire to Hawaii.

Thanks,

HALBOB

The cost of third-party insurance is primarily based in the traveler's age and the trip cost insured. Princess' plan does not take age into effect.

So a young person will almost always be able to find third-party coverage at a big discount from what Princess charges. But someone in their 80's will probably find the Princess plan to be the less expensive choice.

But price is only one factor to consider -- even if the Princess plan turns out to be the least expensive option does it cover what you need covered? And vice versa.

Thanks,

HALBOB

Due to my family's health concerns, we always buy third-party insurance because the two carriers we've sailed (DCL and Princess) do not cover pre-existing conditions, and that is a necessity for us.

That said, there are only a few insurers (and only one of which I know) who will allow you to purchase travel insurance which covers pre-existing conditions more than 30 days after your initial cruise deposit. The one I know if is CSA, and you may purchase insurance which covers pre-existing conditions up to 24 hours after your final payment.

If you are a veteran, I'd recommend TravelInsured's World Protector or World Protector Gold (I would not recommend their World Protector Lite--no pre-existing coverage), purchased through http://www.usaa.com/ This is also true if any travelers are active or reserve military who could face deployments--they are covered under this plan.

Otherwise, I like the charts http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ has--they have a very good listing of pros and cons of several insurance policies.

I am lucky in that I have never needed to file a claim, but a cruiser on DISBoards, another travel board, had good luck filing a medical claim with TravelInsured, so I tend to use them.

One other consideration is whether or not you should make sure your medical coverage is primary or secondary. If you think you may have some coverage on your existing medical insurance, it's probably okay to keep secondary insurance, but if you would face a major financial hardship if you had to wait a while for the check, you might want primary.

However you decide to handle your cruise insurance, I hope you have a lovely trip and never need to file a claim.

Archived