London three days pre cruise

smeck

It depends on how many of these places you intend to visit. Remember that you can book directly with most places in advance (and get a small discount)

There are a number of promotions, such as the 2-for-1 offers when you arrive by train. (conditions apply - http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/faq.aspx)

At well over 100 GBP (price increase pending) for the adult travel pass, it strikes me that you would have to work hard to get value from it. That may depend on the weather, your fitness level and your enthusiasm for sightseeing.

If it was me, I would book in advance the must see places (maybe one per day) and get an Oyster Card for use on the tube, busses and river taxis.

Remember that it is very easy to be overambitious - for example, when my DW and I went to the Tower a couple of years ago, we took the general advice to arrive early and beat the crowds. After a whole morning exploring, we had lunch and then took a river trip to Greenwich because we were pretty tired of walking.

It's pricey and I think you do better booking your own sites and using a travel/oyster card for transportation. We used the London pass on our first trip to London many years ago and really had a hard time using it enough to make it worthwhile.

The 2 for 1 is a better deal. Attractions take a lot longer than you think so it is difficult to fit in a lot of them in a few days.

London is very walkable or there is the tube. Travel and oyster cards make the tube very affordable so definitely don't by the London Pass with travel.

There are lots of free or very cheap things to do in London.

Be careful about booking early on things like the London Eye because it is not worth doing it at all if the weather is poor.

Sounds like your London first timers.

Take the HOHO bus all the wa around and then you'll be able to decide where you want to go back and spend some time. The only thin for sure with only three days in London will be that you have to come back to see more.

How do you purchase one for three days? Are there different types of Oyster cards?

There are 2 ways of using your Oyster card: purchasing a travelcard which is loaded onto your Oyster card (minimum is 1 week), or loading cash which is used on a pay-as-you-go basis, with a daily cap. I have done both - on the same card, as it so happens. Just go to the ticket counter, and the clerk will help you figure out how much cash you need to put on the card.

Small caveat regarding the river service: it doesn't appear to be included in the daily cap, but you can use your PAYG cash to pay for the fare, which is discounted for Oyster card holders.

Can the oyster card be used for busses? Is it worthwhile to buy on line?

Yes the Oyster card can be used on buses. Do not buy it online. The guy at the ticket counter will give you the best deal.

See trip advisor for the latest info but we were there for 5 nights and the 7 day card was excellent for us. Unlimited travel in zones 1 & 2 and we got the 2 for 1 deal. The river cruise was 2 for 1 as well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

For anyone who doesn't know, Oyster is a plastic smartcard which can hold pay as you go credit, Travelcards and Bus & Tram tickets. You can use an Oyster card to travel on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and most National Rail services in London.

It is basically a preloaded credit card but only for use in London for travel. You pay a 5GBP deposit and load it with at least as much as you think you will need. At the end of your visit, you can get your 5GBP back and any leftover credit.

You will need one card for each person in your party, and there are concessions for children but you should discuss that when you buy the card(s).

We'll be in London for three days pre cruise. Has anyone had any experience using the london Pass? If so any feedback would be appreciated.

We bought 3 day London Passes with travel on our 2012 TA. In hindsight, I would still buy the pass but without the travel componant. Just use an Oyster card and preload the card withabout $10bps to use ala carte. Don't buy the day or week passes or you might as well add "with travel" to the London Pass.

We found London quite walkable and basically just used transportation once or twice a day. Use google maps "walking tab" for directions to plan your days.

We planned our days with the pass in mind and we probably would of not visited places like the Royal Mews, Churchill War Rooms, or the Calvary Museum without the pass. We loved all 3 places! The pass also allowed us to bypass the ticket lines at the Tower of London and other sites. We also used the river transport from London tower back to Westminster.

Go to the pass website and look at all the attraction offered and make a list. Total up the admission prices and see if it's worth it for you. If the cost is remotely close, get the pass as you will find attractions that you will stumble onto with the package that they give you.

We've used similiar passes in Lisbon and SoCal and always get our moneys worth.

Edited by lamchops

Can the oyster card be used for busses? Is it worthwhile to buy on line?

If you can get one for $5bps and pre load it online, do so. You can then just take the train in from the airport without the hassles because of your luggage.

My sister forgot to get the refund on her London visit in 2013 so she gave me her card and I loaded more funds on it for my last visit in 2014.

We are arriving at Gatwick. Can we use the oyster card for the train to Victoria Station? We are planning on using one of the Hop on Hop off tours. The Original Bus tour looks interesting. Is it better to buy tickets on line or buy when in London that day?

We are arriving at Gatwick. Can we use the oyster card for the train to Victoria Station?
No, you can't use a pay-as-you-go Oyster card to pay for the train from Gatwick to Victoria. You have to buy a separate ticket for that.

In theory, you could buy a ticket from Gatwick to (say) East Croydon, and then use your Oyster from there. However, the rules would require you to alight at East Croydon, exit through the ticket barrier and then re-enter the station using your Oyster. Frankly, life's too short for that sort of game.

We are arriving at Gatwick. Can we use the oyster card for the train to Victoria Station? We are planning on using one of the Hop on Hop off tours. The Original Bus tour looks interesting. Is it better to buy tickets on line or buy when in London that day?

The ticket you buy from Gatwick will be a rail travel card which you can use for 2 for 1 deals which are superior and cheaper deals than the London pass generally.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I purchased online, which was slightly cheaper, but then had to buy a ticket to get to the place to have them validated. Wouldn't buy online again. K

• 2 weeks later...
Yes - you can purchase London Underground tickets at all of the rail stations in London, including Gatwick Airport and Victoria Mainline Station.

http://www.gatwickexpress.com/en/london/london-underground/

Hi Bob ... My wife and I will need one way transportation from Central London to Gatwick on Saturday for a 6PM flight. What would be most cost efficient way to make this trip. Thanks. empehi

Hi Bob ... My wife and I will need one way transportation from Central London to Gatwick on Saturday for a 6PM flight. What would be most cost efficient way to make this trip. Thanks. empehi

The train from London Victoria. Gatwick Express for ease, I believe you can get a local train as well for less. Easy and comfortable.

Lamchops, you had some good suggestions. I already bought the 2 day London pass with the travelpass as well. I hope I didn't do the wrong thing. We are leaving on the 23rd of June and cruising the British Isles. Do you have any suggestions? I'm so confused as to use taxis vs. busses, how to see everything, are places within walking distance to the port?

Whatever insight you can give me would be very helpful.

Cruiser3256

Oh dear - now I am getting worried. "are places within walking distance to the port?"

The port is probably Southampton, or it could be Harwich or Tilbury too. None of these are actually in London so you will have to travel from your hotel to the Port to catch your ship.

Tell us which one you are sailing from and we can help you with that part.

You also say you have three days - is this three clear days or does it include arrival and departure day with only one full day for sightseeing?

Plenty of time though so I am sure it will all get sorted out and you will have a great time exploring London. The hard bit is deciding what to miss out:)

Lamchops, you had some good suggestions. I already bought the 2 day London pass with the travelpass as well. I hope I didn't do the wrong thing. We are leaving on the 23rd of June and cruising the British Isles. Do you have any suggestions? I'm so confused as to use taxis vs. busses, how to see everything, are places within walking distance to the port?

Whatever insight you can give me would be very helpful.

Cruiser3256

I had the travel pass on my first trip to London as well and it makes it easier not having to buy and load the oyster card. You will get 2 all day passes with the London Pass. The all day passes are only good from when it's 1st used/activated until 4:30am the next morning so don't activate it on your arrival day. It's your 1st visit and the travel pass will let you avoid the line-ups to buy, reload, & refund an Oyster card. The line-up to the booth & kiosks could be quite long depending on the station. There's nothing worse than a tourist holding up the kiosk line trying to figure out how to use it when people are trying to catch a train.:)

The travel pass will allow you to take the buses and tube/subway in the London area. With only 2 days you won't want to be taking any trains out to Windsor or Hampton Court because of travel time. We took the tube rather than the bus everywhere because we downloaded the tube map and did our planning around it as it's easy to figure out. The only time we took the bus was at the end of one evening at Trafalgar Square when we noticed a double decker labelled "Victoria Station" which was where we were staying. We wanted ride the bus at least once but in reality it would of been quicker by tube.

I'm going to assume you have 2 free days + 1/2 day arrival to see the sites. Stay up as long as you can upon arrival and see the sites around where you are staying. It will be hard but it will get your body clock adjusted quicker. You only have 2 days, so it'll be go, go, go! You can catch your breath & relax when you're on the cruise.

Day 1 (based on the London Pass)

Start early the next morning and take the tube to The Tower of London, walk over to tour Tower Bridge, (HMS Belfast is nearby if time permits) then take the Thames River boat cruise (included) down to Westminster. Spend the rest of the day in that area as the London Eye, Big Ben/Parliament buildings, Westminster Abby, The Calvary Museum, and the Churchill War rooms are all in the same area.

Day 2 (Only because Buckingham Palace & the changing of the guards are a must)

Start early the next morning and take the tube to Victoria Station and visit the Royal Mews before heading around the corner to see the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace. From there you can head west to Wellington Arch, Hyde or Green Park, & shopping at Harrod's. I only headed west because DW wanted to go to Harrod's. We ended the evening watching a musical near Victoria Station. With your limited time, I would go east to Westminster and see what I missed the previous day and then walk north to Trafalgar square and the National gallery. Otherwise you can pick a couple of places to visit by tube like the British Museum or St Pauls' Cathedral. You can end up spending the rest of the day at the museum.

You must resign yourself to the fact that you will not see everyting that you want and a return visit is a must. A pre-cruise Baltic or TA may bring you back to London. We've spent almost 12 days in London before our northern Europe and TA cruises and could use another week.:D A British Isle cruise is hopefully in my near future so then you can return the favor and advise me.;)

Looking at the cruise schedules for June 23 leads me to believe that you will be sailing out of Southampton. Southampton is about 2 hours away from London by coach/bus or train. Many will suggest private transfers but you will have to "pay" for that convienance.

We took the National Express bus from Victoria Coach station (2blks south of Victoria station) $5bps (pre-purchased online fun fare) each to Southampton coach station and took a $7bps cab ride to the ship.

Edited by lamchops

... are places within walking distance to the port?
Oh dear - now I am getting worried. "are places within walking distance to the port?"

The port is probably Southampton, or it could be Harwich or Tilbury too. None of these are actually in London so you will have to travel from your hotel to the Port to catch your ship.

I think cruiser3256 is on Royal Princess sailing from Southampton on 26 June 2015.

So places in London are within walking distance of the port only if they're used to walking 80 miles.