Do you let your baby crawl on floor in room?

wyaracing

Curious what others do/think about a baby (1 year old) crawling around on the floor in your stateroom?

Personally, it creeps me out a bit thinking of my little boy crawling around on the floor (and ultimatly putting his hands into his mouth) in our room. Think of all the grungy feet and toes that have been walking on it, and the possibility of someone previously puking on same carpet? YUCK!!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on how to combat this? And no, keeping him cooped up all week and not allowing him to roam a little on the floor will be impossible (because EVERYONE on our deck will hear his displeasure if he's stuck in his pack N play all week.

I was thinking of possibly getting a few extra bed sheets to lay down? But I forsee him rolling around in them and getting them all tangled up just to crawl on the floor anyway.

Do they shampoo the carpets after each sailing?

If I asked my room attentandt (maybe with a cash tip), would he shampoo the carpet again if I asked?

Any other germ killing/baby proofing techniques for the stateroom that others have tried? Would love to hear others thoughts.

We're sailing on the Explorer of the Seas in a couple days, leaving on the 10th.

It's probably just me, but this is something I would not worry about. He's a baby, he needs to crawl, not everyplace he is will be pristine. I am of the school that thinks we need a certain amount of exposure to germs to develop our immune system.

I guess you could ask them to shampoo the carpet, but then you will need to worry about the chemicals in the shampoo. I'd let him crawl, then wash his hands and legs when he's through.

The hard thing will be for you to keep yourself from thinking about it; he will be fine, but IMO it's way too easy to get obsessive about cleanliness in today's world where we are constantly barraged with frantic reports about this and that that could possibly hurt us.

I am sure you are just concerned, not obsessed, but don't end up like a Mom I know; when her little boy wanted to play with his cars in the dirt, like most little boys, she put down a sheet on the kitchen floor and piled flour on it for him to run his cars through. They lived on a farm!

I read once that people that grew up with pigs and chickens in their living room seemed to have the fewest issues with allergies when they grew up. Must be all that other stuff around, don't kill you makes you stronger :D

I would let my kid crawl around, like all things I think you are worrying about the wrong thing there...

By the time a child is a year old- they aren't crawling anymore. In fact most kids usually only crawl to the furniture and then pull themselves up by between 6-9 months and are walking by 12 months. Running might be more of a problem!

I took my 13 month old on a cruise and he was a guy on the go... but not crawling. He was walking and climbing stairs- that sort of thing.

You obviously can't worry yourself sick over your child crawling at home or away from home. They build up immunities to things.

I'm with the others. Don't worry so much. I was so scared the first time I took my son on a flight when he was 9 months old. I was so careful about not letting him crawl around and washing his hands, etc. And then he licked the plane seat on the flight. I quickly realized I can't control everything. It was quite a reality check. And he lived!!

You could bring lysol wipes to clean the surfaces of the room if it makes you feel better - I usually do that anyway - on the remote and the phones because they are the dirtiest things.

Just let him crawl all over the place. Wash his hands often throughout the trip. And relax and have a ball!!

We haven't cruised with DD but we stayed in hotels with her when she was crawling. We didn't limit where she could move in the room. Yes, we kept a close eye on her so she didn't put anything in her mouth (same as at home) & tried to make sure she didn't put her hands in her mouth before we could wash them, but didn't really do more than we did at home.

When we cruise with her in a few months (she's 2) we won't try to control her movements in the stateroom. I'm sure she will be touching things all over the stateroom (and the ship) and even playing on the floor some too. We will keep a close eye on her, wash her hands often & keep sanitizer at the ready for when we can't get her to a sink.

Personally, I'm more concerned with taking her to a pediatrician's office for a well visit when the office is full of sick kids in the middle of flu season.

I completely understand what you're saying, but I agree with the above poster who said the shampoo would be worse because then you have the chemicals - it's not like they can keep a window open to dry it out. I think the places on a ship to fear germs are the doorknobs and handrails. I bring the wipes that kill viruses and use those on hands when necessary. One great thing about a ship for crawlers/toddlers is how there aren't sharp corners on the funiture and most of it is difficult to move/topple. Lots of us have had little ones crawling around our cabins, public areas and hotel rooms with no problem - you'll be fine.

First kid? :)

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Kids need to build up their immune systems. To do that, they need to be exposed to germs. We all need to be exposed to the every day bacteria and viruses to develop our immune systems.

Look at it this way. Did your Mom sanitize everything you could possibly come in contact with before you did? Did she spread clean sheets on the floor before you were placed on it? You survived and probably have a very healthy immune system because of it.

Unless your little one has a compromised immune system because of an acute/chronic illness, don't stress yourself about them being exposed to germs. Trying to limit a child's exposure to every day germs is detrimental to their health.

I'm with the others. Don't worry so much. I was so scared the first time I took my son on a flight when he was 9 months old. I was so careful about not letting him crawl around and washing his hands, etc. And then he licked the plane seat on the flight. I quickly realized I can't control everything. It was quite a reality check. And he lived!!

You could bring lysol wipes to clean the surfaces of the room if it makes you feel better - I usually do that anyway - on the remote and the phones because they are the dirtiest things.

Just let him crawl all over the place. Wash his hands often throughout the trip. And relax and have a ball!!

LOL-licked the seat! I can see my boys doing that.

My baby boy will be a year old on our cruise and I plan on bringing cleaning wipes to disinfect the surfaces in our cabin and the pack n play like you said but, OP, I wouldn't worry about carpet. If it's dirty, ask them to vacuum when you are out.

My husband and I are taking our 8 m/o crawler on his first cruise next week, along with our other two children. I plan on bringing a large blanket from home to lay on the floor, lysol, clorox wipes, and lots of hand sanitizer. No-I'm not germaphobic. My dirty house is evidence of that! :) My husband is FF/emt. And I have worked in hospitals. We know what can be carried and passed from the bottoms of shoes. I am going to let him crawl in the stateroom. Theres not much I can stop about that. And the poor guy needs to move! But I will keep a heavy eye on what he tries to chew on. I had my middle child get Noro-virus at 7 months as a result of a Holland America cruise in 2007. But then 25% of our deck got it so the odds of one of the 5 in our group getting it were good. And that was before they made the hand washing stations so prevalent. Take precautions and listen to your mommy gut! You'll be fine! :)

By the time a child is a year old- they aren't crawling anymore. In fact most kids usually only crawl to the furniture and then pull themselves up by between 6-9 months and are walking by 12 months. Running might be more of a problem!

I took my 13 month old on a cruise and he was a guy on the go... but not crawling. He was walking and climbing stairs- that sort of thing.

You obviously can't worry yourself sick over your child crawling at home or away from home. They build up immunities to things.

Not always. My oldest DD didn't walk until almost 15 months, she was full on crawling and not really cruising at all when we took her to Disneyworld for her 1st birthday. That said, I let her crawl around on the ground at the magic kingdom!! After a week in her stroller she couldn't take it anymore and needed to crawl.

So no, I wouldn't stop my baby from crawling around a cruise ship (not sure how I would even do that without the baby pitching a fit 24/7) but I would wash hands before eating.

Wow! I've lately been worried about exactly the same thing as the OP. We are traveling with our 9 month old grandaughter and she just recently started crawling. At home, we put a sheet down for her to play. We have hardwood floors and when I know she is coming over, I use the antibacterial swiffer cleaner all over.

I am especially grossed out thinking of her crawling around on those filthy capets onboard. Did you guys see that thread on the RCI forum about the human poo poo on the carpet in someone's cabin?

I am of the "germs strengthen the immune system" mentality. My kids can crawl anywhere. Right now, they are 6, 4 (special needs) and almost 2. If a dirty cruise ship carpet is the worst they touch in a day, I'm doing pretty good.

Seriously the carpet shampoo is probably way more dangerous to kids than the debris.

I also don't know if it is safe for a child to crawl on a sheet since a sheet isn't stable (it bunches up and moves around and is more slippery than carpet).

The only way a child is going to go through the normal stages is by giving them the opportunity to explore and crawl. At least when a child has these experiences they learn and develop normally.

A 12 month old is going to be walking. Make sure that your child has the appropriate footwear. They should be flexible footwear like Tom's Walkers.

Seriously the carpet shampoo is probably way more dangerous to kids than the debris.

I also don't know if it is safe for a child to crawl on a sheet since a sheet isn't stable (it bunches up and moves around and is more slippery than carpet).

The only way a child is going to go through the normal stages is by giving them the opportunity to explore and crawl. At least when a child has these experiences they learn and develop normally.

A 12 month old is going to be walking. Make sure that your child has the appropriate footwear. They should be flexible footwear like Tom's Walkers.

I agree, most kids will walk by 12 month; but our nephew's little boy didn't until and he was almost 17 months; I think he crawled so well and so fast he didn't see any need to walk--plus, he could climb anything.

OTH, our son walked at 8 months and his daughter at 7.5 months--and was taking a few steps alone at 7 months! It was crazy to see these tiny little things walking around under tables and such.

Let 'em crawl, it's good for them.

The irony is that if OP's home is sterilised and sanitized to hospital ER room standards then the child won't have a very robust immune system and thus probably WILL pick up some kind of bug from a "dirty" ship.

I have 4 kids and all of them were late walkers---the latest taking until 15 1/2 months to try walking so not all 1 year olds walk like another poster said. I have not cruised with them but in hotel rooms it would gross me out and I tried my best not to let them. But then again walking on the rugs grosses me out too and the bed spreads / blankets that DO NOT get washed inbetween guests each time in a hotel room really grosses me out! There have been times we were on vacation and one of my kids got sick all over the rugs and I just wiped it up best I could and I think how the next person walking on it ewwwww!:eek: Also, once I was at a hotel and while looking on the floor for a toy my child lost we saw poopie in the corner--I think it was dog poop since the hotel let dogs stay there but all these things totally make me over think and I would probally try to put sheets down on the floor for your baby in the state room and hope for the best and like other people said wash him up real good after eing on the floor playing

I just packed a beach blanket for my six month old to roll around on, figured it was heavier than a regular blanket so might work better, not that he will stay on the blanket, but makes me feel a little better anyway. I figure by day two I won't care so much anymore and will get past getting the creeps thinking about the baby on the floor. Being booked in the "family" stateroom is both good and bad, good that there is more room and bad that there were other babies/kids making a mess in that room on every cruise, but like I said by the second day I'm probably not going to be thinking about it anymore.

Have Fun!:p

I remember a long time ago, when my we and a bunch of old college friends started popping out babies, we had gone to another friend's house for a BBQ. A bunch of us were on our first child, they were on their second.

We were all holding our babies, sitting in the living room reminiscing about things we did in college. My friend's wife was holding her 2nd born and got called outside to so something. So she placed her infant in the middle of the living room floor and went outside.

So, the baby is laying in the middle of the floor, the dog is jumping over her back and forth... Everyone's mouths had dropped in astonishment! Errr... what do you say? We didn't understand what was going on!

It wasn't until we all had our 2nd child did we realize, 'Wow! We don't do HALF the things we used to do with our first with the second!'

Sterilizing glass bottles, fretting over every sniffle, wimper, and cry, boiling EVERYTHING. We didn't do that as much. By the time we had my daughter? Fughedabboudit!

It's kinda like when my parents dropped us off at college. For my eldest sister, it was move-in day with the tears, anxiety, and parent orientation. For myself, they dropped me off by the building, saw that there were students helping the freshmen move in, and couldn't wait to make the drive from Philadelphia back home. My younger brother? I moved him into college.

Archived