Couple of question about our upcoming cruise

Funbobby68

Hey all here to dip into the pool of knowledge, were sailing out in May back to vancouver on RCL , any way want to fly in a day early so I was thinking about renting a car , but I I'm wondering if there is a rental company near the pier that I can drop the car off the next morning , also need a hotel , nothing too fancy just nice and clean for a nights sleep , it will be our first time in Hawaii , is there any one thing I should not miss in our short time there
Thanks in advance

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you look down the board, there are MANY hotel recommendations. Strongly suggest something in Waikiki. Our favorite is Embassy Suites.

As commonly discussed here, Pearl Harbor is a special place you probably want to see.

Also commonly discussed here, the rental drop offs are at the airport, frequently with shuttles to the port. Edited by CruiserBruce

• 3 weeks later...
[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Not all car rentals have shuttles to the port anymore...last year when we made our car ressie thru National they had a shuttle and now they no longer offer that...so make sure to verify ;)

I also agree that Pearl Harbor is an amazing experience ! [/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Pearl Harbor is pretty much a full day, depending on what you want to see. If you spend your day doing that, you won't have much need for a rental car. You can easily taxi there, or you might want to see if you can book a tour through the hotel, or with someone like Roberts with hotel pick up and tour. Ours added a city tour as well. Pick a hotel in the Wakiki Beach area and you have miles of beach, countless shops and restaurants within walking distance, or take the bus to places like Diamond Head. Driving around in the Honolulu/Waikiki area is not for the faint of heart. Right at the top of the list for traffic problems.

Some hotels charge $30 a day for parking, so check with your hotel if you decide to go the rental car route. Edited by punkincc

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Funbobby68']Hey all here to dip into the pool of knowledge, were sailing out in May back to vancouver on RCL , any way want to fly in a day early so I was thinking about renting a car , but I I'm wondering if there is a rental company near the pier that I can drop the car off the next morning , also need a hotel , nothing too fancy just nice and clean for a nights sleep , it will be our first time in Hawaii , is there any one thing I should not miss in our short time there [/QUOTE]

There are no rental drop offs at the pier, unfortunately.

If it were ME...I'd take a taxi to Waikiki, stay at a nice hotel with a nice pool and spend the afternoon and evening walking around. There are so many shops and things to see just in Waikiki! You can have a great dinner, and soak in the beauty. Don't try renting a car for one day...IMHO. :)

If you want to go to Pearl Harbor, you really need an entire day to really appreciate what's there.

We hiked Diamond Head on the morning before our cruise. We went super early, got back to our hotel in time to shower, check out and get ready to cruise! You can take a taxi there, or the bus (which lets you out on the road, but you can walk up to the entrance to DH). We did a shuttle there, which we reserved ahead of time through this company: [url]http://www.hawaiiactivities.com/en/hawaii/oahu/a/15841[/url]

It's a little more $$ than the bus, but since we were wanting to go at a specific time, it was worth it. They picked us up at our hotel and brought us back afterward.