Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Italy Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Italy Ports Capri, Florence, Genoa, Naples, Palermo, portofino, Rome, Sardinia, Sorrento, Taormina, Venice

Old January 27th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Where to stay in Venice in relation to airport & port??

I leave for my cruise on June 3, 2011 out of Venice. I will be leaving my home, Washington, DC on June 1st to arrive early so my husband and I can stay in Venice from the 2nd-3rd. Where are some really great hotels to stay that are still $200 or less US? Also, I am not sure where the cruise dock is, is it near the airport? I just need to know where is a good place to stay so we won't be all over the place from airport to hotel to port.

Thanks

Old January 27th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Close to cruise

Hi! We are going to Venice 2 days prior to our cruise also and chose to stay at Hotel Canal Grande (more than $200/day). I'm not good at converting $ into euros but the hotel charges $350 euros/nite. This hotel is on the Grand Canal and close to the cruise ship's dock. They offer some amenities that other hotels don't and have been more than gracious in answering our questions and making arrangements from the airport to their front door. You will also receive a free boat trip to the island where the Murano glass factory is blown.

I hope you have a wonderful time on your voyage!

Old January 28th, 2011, 12:01 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by krysti0423 View Post
I leave for my cruise on June 3, 2011 out of Venice. I will be leaving my home, Washington, DC on June 1st to arrive early so my husband and I can stay in Venice from the 2nd-3rd. Where are some really great hotels to stay that are still $200 or less US? Also, I am not sure where the cruise dock is, is it near the airport? I just need to know where is a good place to stay so we won't be all over the place from airport to hotel to port.

Thanks
You might have noticed the previous post where they are staying at a lovely hotel, but it will cost them about $450 a night. There are many decent hotels in Venice for under $200. The most convenient for cruises are hotels located in or close to the Piazale Roma because you can take the airport bus from the terminal to the Piazale Roma for only a few Euros (as opposed to spending over 90 Euros to get a water taxi to many hotels). The Piazale Roma is also very close to the port and you can get there by taking a land taxi (about 10 Euros) or you can use the new overhead People Mover (a couple of Euros) assuming that you can handle your own luggage. Some of the cruise lines also provide a free shuttle bus from the Piazale Roma to the cruise port. Our personal favorite hotel in this area is called the Ca Doge (about 100 Euros a night) which is a small European style hotel. There is no elevator in this hotel so you might have to climb 2 or 3 flights. Another popular hotel in that same area is the Best Western Olimpia. If you stay in or near the Piazale Roma you can easily walk to the large vaporetto dock where you can grab the vaporettos (water buses) to nearly anywhere around Venice or to the other islands in the Lagoon. The Vaporetto Office (ACTV) in the Piazale Roma also sells one day or multi-day use tickets which are a good deal if you plan on using the vaporettos.

Hank

Old January 28th, 2011, 03:57 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvtocruize2 View Post
You will also receive a free boat trip to the island where the Murano glass factory is blown.
You know what they say about nothing in life being free ... many (most?) hotels in Venice have this "benefit", as these trips are not run by the hotels but by the glass marketers. They are not at your convenience, and can come with some significant sales pressure.

Old January 28th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro cruiser View Post
You know what they say about nothing in life being free ... many (most?) hotels in Venice have this "benefit", as these trips are not run by the hotels but by the glass marketers. They are not at your convenience, and can come with some significant sales pressure.
It is much better to go to Murano on your own. If you buy a 12,24,36 hour or more on the Vaporetto Murano is included. You can catch a Vaporetto a short way from St Marks. Also note that most glass blowers take a 2 hour lunch break.
Volendam 06/02/04; Zaandam 3/05; Serenade of the Seas 12/05; Statendam 05/26/2006; Sovereign of the Seas 08/25/06; Jewel Of The Seas 11/10/06; Serenade of the Seas 12/09/06; Radiance Of The Seas 1/28/07; Legend of the Seas 3/07; Emerald Princess 5/09/07 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=557922 Rome to Venice; Noordam 9/2/2007; Sovereign of the Seas 11/30/07; Jewel of the Seas 11/11/07; Crown Princess 12/08/07; Radiance of the Seas 1/13/08; Adventure of the Seas 4/13/08; Grand Princess 5/14/08 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ighlight=delos Venice to Rome; Soverign of the Seas 10/3/08; Ruby Princess 11/08/08; Caribbean Princess 1/25/09; Zuiderdam 2/27/09; Oosterdam 5/19/09Med http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=998696 Venice to Barcelona; Monarch of the Seas 6/26/09; Azamara Journey 9/27/09 Barcelona to Athens https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1e98e...F9%213292&nd=1 ; Crown Princess 11/7/09; Celebrity Solstice 2/28/10; Disney Magic5/26/10 /boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1216478&highlight=eileen Barcelona RT; Grandeur of the Seas 7/8/10 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ghlight=eileen Western Caribbean; Celebrity Solstice 8/15/10; Azamara Quest 9/20/10 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1288895 Venice to Rome; Monarch of the Seas 11/10; Carnival Magic 5/22/11 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1427713 Barcelona RT; Carnival Legend 7/3/11; Star Princess 10/9/11 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1506739 Venice to Rome; Ruby Princess 2/5/12
Azamara Quest: Barcelona to Rome Sept 15, 2012 https://skydrive.live.com/?id=1E98E9...13967&app=Word,
Brilliance of the Seas Nov. 16, 2013; Disney Dream Dec 8, 2013; Ruby Princess Jan. 27, 2014; Oasis of the Seas March 29, 2014; Coral Princess May 24, 2014

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

My husband and I are going on a cruise on June 18 out of Venice we are booked at The Antony Hotel near the airport when I looked online and read about it I think we will like it. The price is 166.91 pp we looked at The Carlton Grand Canal and the price was 363.94pp. That is why we took the Antony. The one thing I wish we could do is fly out of the DC area non stop to Vinice. Oh well you can't have everything.

Old January 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro cruiser View Post
We kept our fingers silent on this subject because our first thought was to post that the hotel should pay the customer to take those "free" trips. We kind of view them like the Time Share sales folks in Mexico

Hank

Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Port clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlitner View Post
You might have noticed the previous post where they are staying at a lovely hotel, but it will cost them about $450 a night. There are many decent hotels in Venice for under $200. The most convenient for cruises are hotels located in or close to the Piazale Roma because you can take the airport bus from the terminal to the Piazale Roma for only a few Euros (as opposed to spending over 90 Euros to get a water taxi to many hotels). The Piazale Roma is also very close to the port and you can get there by taking a land taxi (about 10 Euros) or you can use the new overhead People Mover (a couple of Euros) assuming that you can handle your own luggage. Some of the cruise lines also provide a free shuttle bus from the Piazale Roma to the cruise port. Our personal favorite hotel in this area is called the Ca Doge (about 100 Euros a night) which is a small European style hotel. There is no elevator in this hotel so you might have to climb 2 or 3 flights. Another popular hotel in that same area is the Best Western Olimpia. If you stay in or near the Piazale Roma you can easily walk to the large vaporetto dock where you can grab the vaporettos (water buses) to nearly anywhere around Venice or to the other islands in the Lagoon. The Vaporetto Office (ACTV) in the Piazale Roma also sells one day or multi-day use tickets which are a good deal if you plan on using the vaporettos.

Hank
Dear Hank,

I just booked a May cruise starting in Venice and was looking for similar information. My ship is scheduled to be docked at San Basilio which I understand to be the "small" ship cruise pier, rather than the main cruise terminal. Do you know if this would also be reachable by land taxi from one of your recommended hotels? I'm traveling alone and would be hauling my suitcase myself.

Thanks.

Upcoming: Voyages of Discovery-Treasures of the Indian Ocean & East Africa and Indian Ocean Gems Dec 2014/Jan 2015
Princess-Grand Japan & Taiwan May/June 2015
Princess-Spanish Passage Oct 2015

PAST CRUISES: Azamara: QUEST-Eastern Mediterranean Oct/Nov 2008 & Southeast Asia Dec 2009/Jan 2010; Celebrity: CONSTELLATION-Carribean Dec 2004; Holland America: ZAANDAM-South America/Antarctica Jan/Feb 2014, OOSTERDAM-South Pacific Nov/Dec 2013, VOLENDAM-Australia Mar/Apr 2010, PRINSENDAM-West Africa Oct/Nov 2006, & STATENDAM-Mexican Riviera Dec 2003; Hurtigruten: NORDKAPP-Norway Apr/May 2006; Norwegian: STAR-Alaska Aug 2008 & WIND-Alaska June 2004; Oceania: REGATTA Amazon-Nov/Dec 2010 & NAUTICA Black Sea-Aug/Sep 2011;Princess: SAPPHIRE-Pacific Coast Sept 2005, DAWN-Hawaii/South Pacific Oct 2002, & SUN-Panama Canal/Caribbean Mar 2001;Royal Caribbean: MONARCH OF THE SEAS-Baja/Calif. June 2006; Swan Hellenic: MINERVA-Italy May 2011 & Grand Trade Winds Feb/Mar 2013; Uniworld RIVER QUEEN-Rhine & Moselle Sept/Oct 2009;Victoria: STAR-Yangtze, China Oct 2007

Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcox View Post
I just booked a May cruise starting in Venice and was looking for similar information. My ship is scheduled to be docked at San Basilio which I understand to be the "small" ship cruise pier, rather than the main cruise terminal. Do you know if this would also be reachable by land taxi from one of your recommended hotels? I'm traveling alone and would be hauling my suitcase myself.
Yes, San Basilio can be reached by land taxi.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
5,000+ Club

IMHO if you have two days its worth the convenience and magic to be in central Venice. You can beat the magic of one of any small or larger ( but expensive ) hotels in centeral Venice. I'd pick something in San Marco.

We did this on our stay, you can't beat the experience if you can swallow the cost.

People gripe about the cost but just put the two nights cost in prospective to the cost of airline/cruise and other costs. You might save 100/night staying near the airport or port but with that you lose a little magic etc.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
5,000+ Club

As hlitner stated, the Piazalle Roma area is very convenient to the pier, to airport buses and also the Grand Canal. This link provides some hotel names in the PR area. It also suggests Venere.com for other hotel searches. venere and most sites now offer a map search which enables you to drill down on a specific area you're interested in. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...zzale-roma.htm