Bermuda "must buys"

beasfriend

Typical Bermuda.....maybe something made of cedar? For the lady, a Bermuda bag? I don't remember the name of the shop, but there is a nice little pottery shop in St George's. Haven't been there since last year but I assume they are still there. St George's is not big...it would be easy to find.

Typical Bermuda.....maybe something made of cedar? For the lady, a Bermuda bag? I don't remember the name of the shop, but there is a nice little pottery shop in St George's. Haven't been there since last year but I assume they are still there. St George's is not big...it would be easy to find.

Perhaps the Bridge House in St. George's? But I wouldn't travel all the way to St. George's just for that when there's really good (and big) pottery shop right in the Dockyard. (Of course there are other good reasons to go to St. George's.)

The craft market at Dockyard may have some locally-made cedar goods.

Might do some Christmas shopping while there. Will check out the pottery and glass shops as well as the rum cake shop. I assume the rum cake will last until Christmas (for gifts)? As long as I don't eat it first...lol

That's my plan too!

We've bought several of Alfred Birdsey's paintings over the years. Unfortunately he's passed away. A very interesting man who brought the first motor bikes to Bermuda. We spent many hours in conversation with him. His painting style was unique. He did Bermuda scenes as you might expect.

I believe he has 2 daughters who paint now but not Bermuda scenes.

The Island Shop, both in Hamilton and St. George. It is opposite the ferry in Hamilton on Queen Street, off Front Street, about 4 stores up. Beautiful pottery depicting Bermuda. Pricey but well made and distinctive. Google it. Vicki

I love the Island Shop. What was interesting is, I saw carved gourds that are from a place that is a few miles from me.:) The branch in St. George had a cat for years that lived at the store and would sleep in a basket on the counter. He was well know all around the town.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Best rum cake (IMHO) in the world! :cool:

The store is right next to the Glassworks (same building), at Royal Naval Dockyard. Be warned, though -- if you bring samples home for friends/family/co-workers -- you'll have a huge number of requests, next time you go back to Bermuda! :D

• 1 month later...

Okay...So this is my first post....My family and I have only cruised twice...both times it was north...New Brunswick the 1st time and a few ports in Maine w/ New Brunswick and Nova Scotia the 2nd time. We are booked to go to Bermuda in 2016....We never bought any food or alchole products there....can you get right back on the ship if you buy these kinds of items? Or do they collect them and give them back the last night? Do you claime the things you buy ?? We never bought stuff except COATS in Maine...It was FREEZING and raining when we went in Sept. 2014 and small things like a t-shirt or magnet. We are surprising our kids....DS1 who will be 16 and DS2 who will be 12.

I have seen to buy the Rum Cake....my DFIL would love it!!!! Just wondering how you do this!!!

Sorry if it seems like a dumb ??? but....this is new to ME!!

Thank you!!

Okay...So this is my first post....My family and I have only cruised twice...both times it was north...New Brunswick the 1st time and a few ports in Maine w/ New Brunswick and Nova Scotia the 2nd time. We are booked to go to Bermuda in 2016....We never bought any food or alchole products there....can you get right back on the ship if you buy these kinds of items? Or do they collect them and give them back the last night? Do you claime the things you buy ?? We never bought stuff except COATS in Maine...It was FREEZING and raining when we went in Sept. 2014 and small things like a t-shirt or magnet. We are surprising our kids....DS1 who will be 16 and DS2 who will be 12.

I have seen to buy the Rum Cake....my DFIL would love it!!!! Just wondering how you do this!!!

Sorry if it seems like a dumb ??? but....this is new to ME!!

Thank you!!

I don't want to make a blanket statement that claims to cover every cruise line's policies, but in general you can bring any factory-packaged food, such as rum cakes, on board without any problem.

However most cruise lines will collect and hold any hard liquor you buy on shore. In fact in many ports (and I haven't bought liquor in Bermuda so I'm not 100% positive how it's done there), the stores selling "duty free" liquor actually deliver the bottles to the ship, so you don't even carry it on board yourself. In any event whether it's delivered or you carry it on, expect the cruise line to hold it, and you'll collect it on the last night.

Yes, if you want to pay the discounted price on liquor in Bermuda, you must have them deliver it to the ship. They won't let you walk out with it unless you pay full price. At the liquor store on the main street in Hamilton, you must get your orders in by a certain time the day your ship leaves port, 2pm iirc.