Viking MS Vienna

OkieCruiser49

Does anyone know anything about Viking's MS Vienna. It's running the "Romantic Danube" Nuremberg-Budapest route. We're booking for late April, and I can't find any reviews. It appears to have been built in 2006, but may be a new ship for Viking, yet it's not a Longship.

Thanks,

OkieCruiser49

My guess is it's a leased ship for the 2013 season with its' first cruise starting the end of April. There are nice pic's on the VRC web and all rooms are 170 sq ft except for the suites. I believe Viking is running a deal with all the rooms selling for the same rate except suites.

• 1 month later...

Okie,

I'm looking at this cruise as a possibility for me and my 92 year-old mother. Do you have any information about preferred cabin types? I have never cruised with Viking. They seem to have mostly positive reviews. Do you have any previous experience with VRC?

Thanks.

This will be our second cruise with Viking (did Cities of Light last year) on the Viking Sky. We were very pleased with Viking and our experience. Cabins on the Sky were all pretty much the same--large windows, but no balconies. Although this was one of the oldest ships in Viking's fleet, we never felt like we were on an old ship. It was very well maintained. We'll have a French balcony on the next cruise. On most of the boats, the rooms on the top two levels are pretty much the same. On the bottom level the window sized usually drops pretty dramatically, and the window is just above the waterline.

How mobile is your mother? Most cruises have walking tours in the towns where the boat stops, but there is always a "leisurely" option for folks with limited mobility. Even if she can't do the tours, you can stay on the boat and hang out in the lounge. On our cruise, the boat often cruised on down the river while we toured a town, and we were bussed down the river to meet the boat. So even if she doesn't do a tour, she can enjoy the cruise.

Ships only have three levels, and most have elevators and/or lift chairs on the stairs. As you've probably read here, most folks who try river cruises love them.

• 5 months later...

Okie,

since you just travel on the MS Vienna. i wanted to know more about the electrical plugs needed. Did you have to have anything besides an adapter for your ipad? did you use any electrical appliances or phone charger on board?

I got an transformer for my electric curlers, but my curling iron says its mulit voltage. i've been told by phone and ipad peoples i just need a plug adapter i got one of those kits with all in. but do i need a round grounded one too?

any input you can give me on this I apprieciate. love all your post . we too book the Vienna because of 2 for one airfare. so i'm hoping it was worth it. seeing as it smaller boat and not as new as the new longships. thanks

We just took the adapters (no transformers). Chargers for our iPads and my computer work on 220V with a simple round-plug adapter. I charged iPhones using the usb ports on my computer. Just make sure that your transformer has the capacity (wattage) necessary to handle the high current associated with the curlers.

Have a great time on the Vienna. It's a nice ship, and the Viking folks will treat you right.

OkiCruiser49

Archived