Do I need Sunglasses? in Alaska

Toshi-bay

If it isn't rainy and overcast it will be sunny. As another poster said ice, water and such put up a lot of reflected light and glare. Bring glasses and hope you get to use them :D

Hello.

This is my first posting.

We will be on Goldenprincess for Akaska in September.

We dont know how we can see the Sun.

Do we need Sunglasses?

Thank you in Advance.

The only time you may not really need sun glasses in Alaska is between January and March. But I would still bring them. As already mentioned, there is still glare off the glaciers. During the harsh winter period, the sun may not rise until 10 or 10:30, and start going down about 2 pm.

During the summer though, I found it does not really get dark. From around 10 pm until around 3 am, it is like dusk. It was amazing to be out doing things at 2 am, and it was not dark. Thoughm if it is overcast or raining, the visibility is decreased.

I would certainly advise bringing sunglasses on an Alaskan cruise. You may well need them at sea and if you are going on any excursions that will but you on or close to snow or glaciers.

By the way, welcome to Cruise Critic and I hope you have a wonderful cruise to Alaska.:)

• 2 weeks later...
The sun does shine in Alaska.

Thanks for this info. My husband would love to go on an Alaskan Cruise and all I say is, "I need light and will not go where it is gloomy all day, plus cold". Isn't that strange for me to say that as the best time for me is at night. I can stay up until 1:30-2:00 most of the time. Strange :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Thanks for this info. My husband would love to go on an Alaskan Cruise and all I say is, "I need light and will not go where it is gloomy all day, plus cold". Isn't that strange for me to say that as the best time for me is at night. I can stay up until 1:30-2:00 most of the time. Strange :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Go in late June when in is light out nearly all the time

Archived