Cellphones in Key West

joeangel

We will be aboard the Victory soon and one of our ports is Key West. Not that we will be using our phones, but if we were, will using our phones cost extra even though Key West is technically in the US? Thank you :p

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you from Europe or somewhere else? Key West is not technically in the U.S., it is the U.S., in the state of Florida. If you have a U.S. cell phone plan, it's no different than using it in, say, Kansas. If it's not a U.S. carrier, then all bets are off.

No, your calls should not cost more than any other call made within the U.S....

As long as your phone plan has coverage, you will be good to go. I do know that a few years ago, my aunt complained about her AT&T coverage while she spent a month in the Keys. I would hope now, 4 years later, things should be ok for all plans.

As long as your phone plan has coverage, you will be good to go. I do know that a few years ago, my aunt complained about her AT&T coverage while she spent a month in the Keys. I would hope now, 4 years later, things should be ok for all plans.

We were in key west a couple months ago and our at&t coverage was fine.

At&T has great coverage within the city of Key West but as you go up the Keys and turn off US1, there's a lot of dead zones. Verizon has the best coverage throughout the Keys.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you from Europe or somewhere else? Key West is not technically in the U.S., it is the U.S., in the state of Florida. If you have a U.S. cell phone plan, it's no different than using it in, say, Kansas. If it's not a U.S. carrier, then all bets are off.

This has come up before and it's always funny. It may be the Conch Republic, but it's still FLORIDA :):D

Edited by bouhunter

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There is nothing 'technically' about Key West being 'part of the United States'.

It is in the State of Florida and is just as much U.S. as every other state in the union. :)

Use your phone freely with no worries if your plan covers the lower '48'.

Seeing Key West is in Florida, keep in mind you do not have to declare anything your purchase there. It will have been bought 'in country' and does not have to be listed on your Declaration...... same as San Juan. (Though, of course, Puerto Rico is not a state.)

Edited by sail7seas

• 5 months later...

Not a dumb question at all. Puerto Rico is U.S. But I get no coverage on the island, at least nowhere near the ship.

And I could not get any coverage in Anchorage, Alaska, last summer.

Y'all who are offended, need to get over yourselves.

Edited by logan25