Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old March 11th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking to crew while aboard last month, it was pointed out that Explorer does more sea days in each cruise than most of the RCCL's ships as she does 2.5 sea days each way - that's 5 - 6 sea days per cruise while other ships may do only 1 - 2 sea days per cruise and have more port days. This causes more wear and tear on the ship and the crew works hard to keep up with it. During the winter months however they are limited when they can do many of the tasks outdoors. They don't do the painting of the hull or washing the salt water off the balcony or other outer areas when they have their port day in Bayonne. But they work hard while in the southern ports.

Does she show wear and tear - yes. But she also has some beautiful areas that have been rehab'd about 3 years ago. Would I skip a cruise on Explorer because she's old and has some worn area - absolutely not. You will still enjoy the cruise, the crew are phenomenally warm, caring and upbeat. go - enjoy

Coming up next: Quantum of the Seas!!

Big Red Boat 4/96 Big Red Boat (Won Bingo free cruise!! ) 2/97
Explorer of the Seas (Western) 2/04
Jewel of the Seas 2/05
Explorer of the Seas (Eastern) 2/06 Adventure of the Seas 3/4/07
Explorer of the Seas 1/4/08 Viking River Cruise - France 05/09
Explorer of the Seas 1/14/10 Explorer of the Seas 6/5/10
Explorer of the Seas 2/27/11 HAL Veendam 5/8/11
Explorer of the Seas 3/9/12 Explorer of the Seas 2/1/13
Grandeur of the Seas 2/8/14

Old March 11th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogimax View Post
We live in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the entire country with over 160 different languages spoken.

Our immediate neighbors are from Croatia and Hungary. Our church is in Flushing, a hub of Taiwanese, Chinese and Koreans.

What a blessing!

We have learned that even if we don't speak the same language, we can communicate with a smile and a laugh. We have also learned not to take ourselves so seriously and expect that everyone be exactly like us.

I humbly suggest you look for experiences, cruising or otherwise, that will lead you and your husband to experience diverse cultures and beliefs. You will be all the better for it!
Bully for you. I live in Philadelphia. I have lived in other cities and states and **gasp** countries!! My experience was as I have reported above. Sorry if you think you are superior due to your own experiences.

Sailed!:
Crown Princess ~ Western Caribbean ~ 4/14/2012 - 4/21/2012 (Wedding Cruise!) Photos Here!
Explorer of the Seas ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ 2/24/2013 - 3/05/2013 Review Here!

Old March 11th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogimax View Post
We live in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the entire country with over 160 different languages spoken.

Our immediate neighbors are from Croatia and Hungary. Our church is in Flushing, a hub of Taiwanese, Chinese and Koreans.

What a blessing!

We have learned that even if we don't speak the same language, we can communicate with a smile and a laugh. We have also learned not to take ourselves so seriously and expect that everyone be exactly like us.

I humbly suggest you look for experiences, cruising or otherwise, that will lead you and your husband to experience diverse cultures and beliefs. You will be all the better for it!
Nice stuff!

Teddie

Old March 11th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieRose View Post
Bully for you. I live in Philadelphia. I have lived in other cities and states and **gasp** countries!! My experience was as I have reported above. Sorry if you think you are superior due to your own experiences.
Look, to someone who loves cruising the Explorer, your comments seemed overly-negative, and your issue with non-English speakers frosted the cake. You came off sounding a little spoiled and narrow-minded, which I am sure you are not.

You must have expected some push back, which is what you are getting. Not cheer leading here-but providing a balance and a contrast to your own experience with my own on the very same ship.

Teddie

Last edited by teddie; March 11th, 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Old March 11th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddie View Post
Look, to someone who loves cruising the Explorer, your comments seemed pretty negative, and your issue with non-English speakers frosted the cake. You came off sounding a little spoiled and narrow-minded, which I am sure you are not.

You must have expected some push back, which is what you are getting. Not cheer leading here-but providing a balance and a contrast to your own experience with my own on the very same ship.

Teddie

Blah blah blah. All good, cheerleader!

Sailed!:
Crown Princess ~ Western Caribbean ~ 4/14/2012 - 4/21/2012 (Wedding Cruise!) Photos Here!
Explorer of the Seas ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ 2/24/2013 - 3/05/2013 Review Here!

Old March 11th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
What bratty behavior, and so unnecessary.

Teddie

Last edited by teddie; March 11th, 2013 at 10:13 PM.

Old March 11th, 2013, 10:13 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Sorry if you think you are superior due to your own experiences.
Not superior, by any means... just blessed to know folks who speak French, Italian, Korean, Spanish, Croatian, Czech, Taiwanese, Hungarian, Cantonese, Tagalog, etc..

Also blessed to know these folks accept me even though I don't speak their language!

Old March 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with being a "cheerleader" when giving an honest evaluation!

There's something wrong with being a critic when it's based on nonsensical and prejudicial trivialities!

Old March 12th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

if we are cheerleaders then julie you are clearly a troll. ive never seen such hard headedness over some petty nonsense. clearly you keep arguing your nonpoints just for a reaction. from the way you carry on you make it sound like you were forced on a slave ship for a week. lighten up.
-Roger

Old March 12th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Um... for people on CC who ask about it? It took 30 seconds on the last day of the cruise. You act like I was going around looking for things that were wrong. That was, quite literally, me about to pack my camera going "hey, maybe a few quick shots around the stateroom can help someone on the boards." There are others but these are the ones that specifically address things that should be taken care of during drydock.

And yes, we did not like the XoS and a part of that was the disrepair it was in, part was how dirty it seemed, part was the food (both quality and lack of) and part was the other cruisers. (Sorry, did not like that we couldn't even communicate with half of the other cruisers because we do not speak adequate French nor do they speak adequate English. Making new friends is a big reason we cruise and such a large number of non-English speakers was not something we were prepared for.)

I didn't see the "major positives" you speak of and I do not foresee us sailing XoS again. If you do, then continue to sail on XoS. To each his own.

Royal C. has had a big push to attract international passengers and not only US passengers. Expect to see more non-US passengers on board throughout the fleet. With the exchange rate more favorable to non-US passengers, it is a "bargain" for them compared to sailing entirely in Europe where everything on board is priced in Euros. Sailings originating in Spain also have some type of tax added to all on-board purchases as well. They are also big on immersion sailings as well that are mostly tailored to the country they sail from.

For the non-US passengers, everything they buy on this side of the Atlantic is much cheaper including the drinks sold on board.

I too live in a very diverse neighborhood in Flushing, NY. If you are nice, you get nice back in return. Their pace is quicker than most passengers who do not live in NY...we tend to do everything quicker in NYC.

If you truly do not want to sail with non US passengers, RCCL is not the cruise line for you.

MARAPRINCE

Last edited by Maraprince; March 12th, 2013 at 01:49 PM.

Old March 12th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If Royal wants to keep pace with NCL and their new Breakaway ship, at some point the Explorer will be replaced with a different ship out of Bayonne.

The bigger problem is for Royal to have to share the port with Celebrity on different days since only one berth exists. Keep hearing about having a second pier, but nothing as yet seems to be happening on this front.

There will probably be a newer ship replacing the Explorer before a second pier arrives in Bayonne!

MARAPRINCE

Old March 12th, 2013, 01:58 PM
5,000+ Club

So a question for all you Explorer friendly types. Will I be able to get internet in an aft cabin or will I have to head somewhere towards the middle of the ship like it was on Jewel last week?
Thanks
Bill

Old March 12th, 2013, 01:59 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Um... for people on CC who ask about it? It took 30 seconds on the last day of the cruise. You act like I was going around looking for things that were wrong. That was, quite literally, me about to pack my camera going "hey, maybe a few quick shots around the stateroom can help someone on the boards." There are others but these are the ones that specifically address things that should be taken care of during drydock.

And yes, we did not like the XoS and a part of that was the disrepair it was in, part was how dirty it seemed, part was the food (both quality and lack of) and part was the other cruisers. (Sorry, did not like that we couldn't even communicate with half of the other cruisers because we do not speak adequate French nor do they speak adequate English. Making new friends is a big reason we cruise and such a large number of non-English speakers was not something we were prepared for.)

I didn't see the "major positives" you speak of and I do not foresee us sailing XoS again. If you do, then continue to sail on XoS. To each his own.
Don't get the language thing. You never know the majority of the nationalities until you board. Not the norm for that ship to have so many foreign visitors
Sensation - Sept 96
Grandeur - Sept 97
Inspiration - Sept 98
Enchantment - Oct 99
Grandeur - Sept 00
Explorer - March 01
Grand - Sept 01...............Review
Victory - Sept 02.............Review
Navigator - March 03.......Review
Adventure - Sept 03........Review
Voyager - Sept 04...........Review
Radiance - Feb 05...........Review
Voyager - Sept 05...........Review
Mariner - Jan 06..............Review
Explorer - Sept 06...........Review
RCL Liberty - Sept 07......Review
Carib Princess - Feb 08....Review
Explorer - Oct 08............Review
Solstice - March 09.........Review
RCL Liberty - Sept 09......Review
Explorer - Jan 10............Review
Oasis - Oct 10................Review
Explorer - Feb 11............Review
Carnival Valor - Sept 11...Review
Carnival Legend - Feb 12..Review
Allure - Sept 12................Review
Carnival Freedom - Feb 13.Review
Carnival Liberty - Sept 13..Review
Independence - Feb 14.....Review - New!
Explorer - Sept 25th...............

Old March 12th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCWalton1 View Post
So a question for all you Explorer friendly types. Will I be able to get internet in an aft cabin or will I have to head somewhere towards the middle of the ship like it was on Jewel last week?
Thanks
Bill
I was only able to get sporadic & slow Internet service from our aft cabin 9690 on the Explorer. But at least it was something. Can't wait for pervasive wifi!

Teddie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old March 12th, 2013, 04:20 PM
10,000+ Club

We will be on Explorer in April. I'll be sure to post a review, although I confess that I will probably be unable to check on the confetti twenty feet above the Royal Promnade

Old March 12th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Foreign passengers filling the ships

If it weren't for the Brazilians, Argentinians, Colombians, Venezuelans and Mexicans, Oasis and Allure would sail half empty every week.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Old March 12th, 2013, 05:55 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddie View Post
I was only able to get sporadic & slow Internet service from our aft cabin 9690 on the Explorer. But at least it was something. Can't wait for pervasive wifi!

Teddie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When we book for May 2014 I thought we were going to get the pervasive wi-fi like we had on Radiance & Splendour since their website shows Explorer's upgrade in Feb 2014. Sure would be nice if they could keep their website up to date.

Bill