What is the "Real HAL Dress" Code

Cruisetini

Most people put effort into looking nice on formal night if they plan to come to the MDR. I used to wear long dresses but gave them up and now wear little black dresses/cocktail dresses. DH gave up the tuxedo and now wears a dark suit.

HAL requires jacket and tie for the gentlemen.

Ladies would dress commensurately to the gents. Evening pants/skirt with dressy/sparkly top or cocktail dresses are the most common sort of things many of the ladies wear.

I returned from a cruise on the Veendam yesterday .On the first formal night I saw one guy in a tux in the MDR ,on the second night-none.

IMO that is well below the norm . On our Bermuda it was about 25 % . On Alaska about the same . TA closer to 50 % . Carib varies in increasing % from 7 to 10 to 14 night trips .

Looking forward to my first HAL cruise on Aug. 5th - do people really get dressed up for the two formal nights? Are nice blouses and slacks/capri pants plus bling acceptable?

Yes it will, have a great cruise, and don't be surprised if this thread turns into warfare:eek:

With respect, "the real HAL dress code" is what HAL says it is on the website.

Yes, I do understand what you're asking, and identify with your wish to blend in. But, startwin is right this will likely spin out of control.

You see, a few months ago I'd just finished going through my February Eurodam pictures, thinking I'd never seen so many BALL GOWNS on a 7 day cruise, when I read a report here that no women had dressed in anything more formal than a Little Black Dress.

On my exact sailing.

And really? Neither one of us was lying. Just different coloured goggles, I guess.

EDIT: I've seen women turned away from the MDR for wearing capris on formal night. Not often, not in the last year, but I've seen it. IMO, that's setting the bar too low.

Now someone will tell you why you should wear shorts for formal night.

Looking forward to my first HAL cruise on Aug. 5th - do people really get dressed up for the two formal nights? Are nice blouses and slacks/capri pants plus bling acceptable?

This sounds fine to me. I like to wear the "little black dress" and do it up with what you call bling. Black pants or capri's go a long way with nice tops and bling.

Enjoy your cruise!:D

People really do get dressed up for formal night - many tuxedos and long gowns ....because they enjoy, it and not because they have to. Formal night is the time to dress formally. Pictures can be worth a 1000 words. Here are some "nice blouses" that could work: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=alex+evenings+top&_sacat=0&_odkw=alex+evenings+12&_osacat=0

Sadly, my days in the "little black dress" are long gone...but I make do with dressy pants and a dressy top...and I've always been fine with that. DH...either a dark suit or his navy blazer and dress pants.

OK: far too late to delete my post.

Cruisetini, I just looked, and noticed 95% of your prior posts (and maybe all your cruises?) were NCL.

It seems to me some NCL-ers try other lines, seeking something different. Then, some of them are disbelieving when they discover other lines *are* different.

HAL is a more traditional line than NCL, which is contemporary.

Those who don't choose to follow the HAL traditional dress code in the MDR are free to dress casually in the Lido.

But, since you're trying something new and different, maybe you might find it fun to pack and dress *slightly* differently those 2 nights if you're headed to the MDR, since HAL does request you do?

I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread now.

What you want to wear should be fine. Everyone dresses a bit differently for formal night as as Don Carlos noted - it varies with itinerary.

The main thing is to feel good about how you look.

Don't worry about what others are wearing - as long as you are within the spirit of the dress code you will be just fine.

From your signature - it looks like Bermuda? If I'm correct then I suspect it will not be as dressy as others.

Have a great cruise - just pack and no worries:D

Just back from Ak on the Statendam on 26th June. In the MDR it will take a tie and/or a jacket. Ladies got by easy with dress pants and a nice top. So I opted out of the dress up thing. (on vacation) Had nice meals in blue jeans and nice shirt. After a long day we did not want to rush around to get dolled up. I did go the frist dress up night with dress pants and dress shirt and was turned away. So buyer beware. But it was great!

Ok this is the real deal, just follow it and you will be fine.

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Ok this is the real deal, just follow it and you will be fine.

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Mmmm..IMHO doesn't really address the Capri pants issue...Capri pants + jacket = suit, so Capri pants are okay for formal night?..

Really folks, who cares what people wear as long as they are clean and neat!:)

Mmmm..IMHO doesn't really address the Capri pants issue...Capri pants + jacket = suit, so Capri pants are okay for formal night?..

People can be clean and neat in their underwear, and well they should be! But that is hardly formal attire.

Either follow the dress code or not, but tidey whiteies and added bling does not meet the formal dress code - and to assume otherwise is just to fool yourself.

Just as long as people "don't care" about getting turned away from the MDR on formal night if not in formal attire, it is okay with me too.

A "nice blouse" can mean different things to different people. I wear a nice blouse and slacks to work (as opposed to a t-shirt and capris) but I wouldn't wear that outfit to the MDR on formal night.

HAL should include illustrations in their descriptions of formal and smart casual clothing.

Not unless they're matching fabric. In a suit, the jacket and pants/skirt are made of the same fabric. I haven't seen capri pantsuits on any of my shopping forays.

I don't think capri pants are appropriate for formal night.

Capris don't really fit HAL's description of smart casual: "casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women." But capris might get past the maitre d' on smart casual nights. Or they might not.

Archived