Help! Puntarenas, Cost Rica

travelbaybee

We're taking a Panama Canal Cruise in March 2014 - never been there before. The tour we wanted apparently is not available so would love any info on a good reliable/safe tour operator (and tour) and/or a safe/reliable cab driver for the day while we are in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. All suggestions most welcome!!! Tx!

The Costa Rica board is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=198

as you have already found. I am sure a lot of Costa Ricans would be upset to find they are in Panama.

This is Panama CANAL forum, not just Panama, so even though I agree Puntarenas is in Costa Rica, it is a port stop on Panama Canal cruise so I understand why OP put question here. I don't think your final remark was necessary.

I totally understand the comment. Is posting questions about San Diego, Ft. Lauderdale, Golfito, Ocho Rios, Los Angeles, Quepos, Cartagena, Puerto Quetzal, Acapulco or Cabo San Lucas also appropriate in the forum section titled "Panama Canal"? Many cruises that visit the Panama Canal also visit those ports so are those questions better here or in their respective forum sections?

We're taking a Panama Canal Cruise in March 2014 - never been there before. The tour we wanted apparently is not available so would love any info on a good reliable/safe tour operator (and tour) and/or a safe/reliable cab driver for the day while we are in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. All suggestions most welcome!!! Tx!

Now that the critics have had their fun, I will try to answer your question.

You will find several dependable tour operators at the pier and on shore in Puntarenas. We have used Odyssey and some private van operators and have not been disappointed in any of them.

I would suggest looking through all the brochures and websites for this port and write down the things that interest you, then present the list to a tour guide or taxi/van driver and ask how much is possible to do in the allotted time--- and what the price will be. You may need to alter the list, but should end up with a customized tour at a reasonable price. The vehicle selection will depend on the number of people in your party.

Thank you!!! Very helpful!!!!

Now that the critics have had their fun, I will try to answer your question.

You will find several dependable tour operators at the pier and on shore in Puntarenas. We have used Odyssey and some private van operators and have not been disappointed in any of them.

I would suggest looking through all the brochures and websites for this port and write down the things that interest you, then present the list to a tour guide or taxi/van driver and ask how much is possible to do in the allotted time--- and what the price will be. You may need to alter the list, but should end up with a customized tour at a reasonable price. The vehicle selection will depend on the number of people in your party.

First, you mention that the tour you wanted is no longer available. What do you want to do or see? Quiet jungle hike, zip line (ugh!), animal spotting, rafting, plantation tour...

In general I find Costa Rica is easier than most Central or South American countries to visit and the Pacific coast including Puntarenas being even easier still. Violent crime is almost unheard of and most tour guides take their jobs seriously and want to provide you with a safe and enjoyable time. Picking up a cab or tour guide on the dock is very doable and safe and you can travel and walk about more freely than in many other places.

Before getting into a cab establish what you want to do and how long you want to be gone and set a price. It's just a good practice wherever you may travel. They CR cabbies and tour operators in general do not attempt to scam like those in other countries but a price set up front is always a good thing. Do not attempt to do too much or travel too far so your time in country is not marked by riding in a car. The cloud forest of Monteverde are wonderful and seem deceptively close on the map but the good areas push the limits of what can be done in a short shore excursion while still insuring you make it back to the ship in time.

If you are into animal spotting one of my personal favorites near Puntarenas are the mangroves and Tarcoles River. It's a world renowned area for bird watching and seeing a lot of crocodiles is almost guaranteed. It's not a zoo or "sanctuary" so whatever you see is truly in the wild.

• 2 months later...

I have only been through the Panama Canal twice, but it is a most magnificent trip. Be sure and read the Path Between the seas by David McCollugh. If I can find my notes on the book, I will post them here. You probably have read it already and have your own notes. I makes the Canal trip much more enjoyable. This post may be not related to your question, but when you mention the Panama Canal I get excited.