Disney gift cards with Target Red Card?

Superdottie

They don't give a discount on any gift card purchase.

It would be great if they did though. They do however, give a percentage of your purchase to the school you designate. Gift card purchases included. :)

For quite a while they did, but would not surprise me if that loophole finally closed.

(Given the average commission on something at their level is 8-10 percent, they still did OK, plus they got float on the money and don't pay transaction fees on their branded card)

Does anyone know if Target gives the 5% Red Card discount on Disney gift cards?

Thanks!

Yes, they do. Disney Gift Cards are not considered "gift cards" in the Target system, they are considered "entertainment cards" and, thus, do not fall under the "no discount on gift cards" criteria.

We've purchased Disney gift cards (with my Red Card) to pay for our last two cruises, as well as put on our onboard account.

A nice savings.

Good to know.

When I have bought them at Target in the past with my Red card, the cards were separated from the rest of my purchase and not discounted.

I will bring it up to the manager when I buy them for my next cruise in September. :)

Good to know.

When I have bought them at Target in the past with my Red card, the cards were separated from the rest of my purchase and not discounted.

I will bring it up to the manager when I buy them for my next cruise in September. :)

It's not unusual for a Target cashier (as well as managers) to say that there is no discount on Disney gift cards. But, in my experience, as long as the cards are swiped as part of the purchase, and then the Red Card used, the discount is automatic. There's nothing the cashier/manager needs to do to make the discount happen. It's already in the Target computer system.

I've had friends that asked whether they would get the discount (from cashiers, as well as the customer service desk) on the cards if they used their Red Card, and they were told "no".

But, when they just went ahead with the purchase, voila, the discount was there.

Edited by Shmoo here

Was the discount noted on the receipt? Maybe the other items had the 5% deducted but not the gift card. I didn't know Target sold Disney gc's. If there is a discount I will be purchasing for my trip.

Yes. Most of the time we were just purchasing the gift cards and not other things. And the discount was there everytime.

Our Target carries the $100 cards.

Ours too. Also, if you have an AMEX card, this month many of them have a deal you can register for where you get $30 statement credit on a $100 purchase at Target when you use your AMEX, and you can do this up to 5x. So far I have bought 3 $100 cards at Target and gotten $90 back, so eventually I will get $500 worth of cards for for $350. They have the same deal going at BJs (up to 3x), and they already discount their cards 4% so I am getting an even better deal ther. I bought $125 worth of cards for about $119 and after statement credit I will have paid $89.

I have been able to pay for our whole trip by buying gift cards with my red card. I never had a problem getting the 5 percent off. Only pain was entering them in $50 increments on the DCL website.

Wow, GatorMominNC that is a great deal!!! Now I'm going to go look at my Amex statement to see if I got one of those deals! My Amex is a Costco one, so not sure if I will have it……(as an aside for those like me that have the Costco Amex, apparently those 2 companies did not come to an agreement to renew their contractual agreement so Costco will be going to a Visa.)

As for the Target Red Card thing. I have been buying discounted Target cards on websites that sell them at a discount, then going online to buy Disney cards to get the additional discount. I'm happy to say I have a very nice sized DCL nest-egg for our Hawaii cruise this September!

I agree that if you talk to a Target manager they will tell you that "you don't get a discount on 'money'", meaning gift cards. My reply was that I could drive straight to Costco and get 20% off any and all gift cards they offer there! :cool:

The key to getting the discount on the Disney gift cards online (as I learned the hard way) is to sign into your Target Red Card account, put the maximum cards allowed in your cart, and when you checkout make SURE you choose the Red Card as your payment method FIRST even though you will be paying with your Target gift cards. Since I have a debit Red Card, I then put in my PIN # and only after all that do I check "Pay with Gift Cards". The extra 5% can be seen right before you click on "submit order". :)

Wow, GatorMominNC that is a great deal!!! Now I'm going to go look at my Amex statement to see if I got one of those deals! My Amex is a Costco one, so not sure if I will have it……(as an aside for those like me that have the Costco Amex, apparently those 2 companies did not come to an agreement to renew their contractual agreement so Costco will be going to a Visa.)

As for the Target Red Card thing. I have been buying discounted Target cards on websites that sell them at a discount, then going online to buy Disney cards to get the additional discount. I'm happy to say I have a very nice sized DCL nest-egg for our Hawaii cruise this September!

I agree that if you talk to a Target manager they will tell you that "you don't get a discount on 'money'", meaning gift cards. My reply was that I could drive straight to Costco and get 20% off any and all gift cards they offer there! :cool:

The key to getting the discount on the Disney gift cards online (as I learned the hard way) is to sign into your Target Red Card account, put the maximum cards allowed in your cart, and when you checkout make SURE you choose the Red Card as your payment method FIRST even though you will be paying with your Target gift cards. Since I have a debit Red Card, I then put in my PIN # and only after all that do I check "Pay with Gift Cards". The extra 5% can be seen right before you click on "submit order". :)

My friend has a Costco AMEX and when she checked I am sorry to say they were not offering the discount. Which makes sense as BJs and Target are competitors. It was offered on my Delta and Hilton Amex cards, but once I added it to one, the offer disappeared on the other...

If my kids have the gift cards & i have them excluded from being able to spend on the ship can they add them just to there Key to the World Cards for them to be able to spend or would I need to give them spending abilities & have the gift cards added to my account?