Best Deal Ever?

thebts

Last time I checked....Staten Island ferry was free. But when I get a repositioning cruise for $6/day I'll take it

I wouldn't gloat too loudly or long-

The "cheapest by ANY MEANS NECESSARY" mindset has been the ruination of more Cruise Lines than there is space to mention here.

-and if you didn't agree with me, at least on some level, you wouldn't have any interest in Oceania's prices :p

OP: try getting a 4 star US or 5 star EU hotel and three 2.5-3.0 star meals daily (not even to mention the value of the boat ride) in a world class city for $150/day. Just ain't gonna happen.

That said, there is a way to get a relative O bargain.

First, get a top-producing Oceania TA (I've addressed how to do that in other threads).

Second, subscribe to any "deal" e-mails done by these TAs

Third, choose your preferred dates and itinerary ranges (while maintaining flexibility).

Fourth, narrow list to those cruises w/ published multiple O perks (e.g., your world on sale)

Fifth, start reading those TA e-mails, which appear to be "genuine" deals. O actually does run occasional "specials" in conjunction with its preferred partner TAs - not always at the same time or for the same reason (e.g., new O customers). You'll eventually come to figure out which notices are deals vs hype by pricing them out vs. the O website (and comparing apples to apples, I.e., not considering the O or TA perks in the calculations).

Sixth, whether you've already booked or not before finding the "deal," call your top O producing TA and ask him/her to get you the deal break (even if it's not his/her "special" or it's after final payment.

On last year's Alaska and this years Med O cruises, our TA was able to get from 12-15% cabin price additional reductions beyond any original discounts and O or TA OBC or other perks. In one case, it was after final payment and in the other, it was after-the-fact matching of another TA's O partner special.

On O, that's a "chunk of change."

Booking early appears to get you the best prices on O, as well the upgrades .This has happened to us several times. Sometimes a fee but twice at no cost.

The too good to pass up deal we got was 54 days instead of 25 at no extra cost plus an upgrade. Sydney-Auckland- Papeete was overbooked and we did Papeete to Southampton. That's right a fabulous combination of beaches, the Panama. towns and cities. Easter Island was the most memorable.

No cheap cruise line would make such an offer!

Ignore this! I see that you already corrected your typo!

Mura

There are some good deals on Insignia for March 2014.

Drinks, internet, gratuities, OBC and flights included. Not quite as low as $150 a night but for an Oceania cruise they're excellent value

But for March 2014 it is a bit late ... did you mean 2015?

Mura

Edited by Mura

Booking early appears to get you the best prices on O, as well the upgrades .This has happened to us several times. Sometimes a fee but twice at no cost.

The too good to pass up deal we got was 54 days instead of 25 at no extra cost plus an upgrade. Sydney-Auckland- Papeete was overbooked and we did Papeete to Southampton. That's right a fabulous combination of beaches, the Panama. towns and cities. Easter Island was the most memorable.

You are right...... however, one must be booked on a Oceania cruise in order to receive the offer. From what I can tell, the OP is not about to pay fares that Oceania is asking (and is worth). There was no harm in asking...... it just does not seem like a "fit" for the OP. Hmmmmm, if I could pay $150/day/person, on Oceania, I would move in:eek:

You are right...... however, one must be booked on a Oceania cruise in order to receive the offer. From what I can tell, the OP is not about to pay fares that Oceania is asking (and is worth). There was no harm in asking...... it just does not seem like a "fit" for the OP. Hmmmmm, if I could pay $150/day, on Oceania, I would move in:eek:

Well Guys, OP has the right to decide what (s)he wants to spend!

We may think that O is worth the money, but not everyone does.

There were cruises some time back where people we met were willing to pay the freight. But one of them said to me maybe 5-6 years ago that O was pricing them out, and they booked lower level cabins. I haven't seen that couple since. (Which doesn't necessarily mean that they haven't been on O, just that they haven't been on cruises we took.)

I've said the same myself, but obviously I was prevaricating (I don't want to say lying) because we tend to book PH and sometimes above, and we still are.

But the increasing prices do bother me!

OTOH, I don't have a line I would want to move to ... So as long as we can afford to, we will stick with O.

Mura

Usually like to get more than I paid for...like for instance the Trans Atlantic we did on MSC from San Juan to Italy for $6/day or $78 for the entire cruise.

I assume this cruise was 14 days or more. Are you saying you only spent $78 per person? Sounds like you washed a LOT of dishes. Was your cabin below the water line?

Oceania cruises comparatively to the mainstream companies is quite a bit more .$$$$$$having travelled on all except Disney ....here is my take .

Cabins are a good size beds slightly bigger ..lots of storage space .the bathrooms are marble and in a balcony cabin you do get a tub .Big fluffy towels are put in ...more than you need

Their toiletries are Bulgarie which smell great

The Balcony is slightly bigger than others except for Caribe deck on Princess .

The staff is asnice as onany other ship

However here youare paying for food ....much better quality than others . I had fish and lobster every day .they do serve your food ...not lavish displays but very adequate .i wasvery well treated by the chef in the outdoors cafe ...he made me aspe ial spicy salad every day due to my allergies .very good service .He encouraged me to eat upstairs outdoors in front of Bora Bora ..it was magic .considering how cold I was in the dining roomthis was perfe t ....even did some star gazing with a German gentleman who identified the stars ...awesome

I never did go back to the dining room ..it was that nice to eat outside

Oceania prides itself on its food and I tend to agree .....it is more likewhT it used to be on other ships

The specialty restaurants are included and I enjoyed that ...others charge you for them

Sometimes you get spe ial which include internet ...not usually cheap.....gratuities.....15$ per day pp,and OBC plus the flight to and fro....for me Tahiti and french Polynesia was worth. The price I paid ....figure over 330$ per day per person ..not even close to your goal price ....but remember flights to Tahiti from Montreal are really expensive so that worked out ok

People on Oceania can easily afford these and higher prices for concierge and suites ..we met some very wealthy people who stayed on board for weeks at a time ...so this line is not really for the average Joe who spends 2000$ on a vacation ....it is much more than that ....

I think you do get what you pay for ...but to compare MSC to Oceania is like comparing a really cheap trip to luxury IMO

Depending where you go you could find something you like but it will never respect your budget ....but if you want to splurge this would be a good one

I hope to return to French Polynesia and Oceania soon ...I promised my son this would be his graduation present from University ...hope it happens ..i know it will cost over 20gs for the 2of us ..like I said not cheap

Bon Voyage

Michele

I've booked Oceania at $200 a day and received some fantastic last minute offers for close to $150. You just need to be on the right TAs mailing list.

Agree! I get wonderful last minute emails with fabulous prices! Helps to live in South Florida when airfare isn't an issue! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Oceania seems to partner with some TA that send emails out (at least I get these email blasts every few weeks) and I have seen rates well into the sub $250 PPPD rates, including airfare and enough ship credit to buy a drink package for both travelers. Of course, these are off-season cruises with less than stellar itineraries, but appear to be a very good value. YMMV.

John

Oceania seems to partner with some TA that send emails out (at least I get these email blasts every few weeks) and I have seen rates well into the sub $250 PPPD rates, including airfare and enough ship credit to buy a drink package for both travelers. Of course, these are off-season cruises with less than stellar itineraries, but appear to be a very good value. YMMV.

John

There are, at least, a few of these preferred partners, all of who I assume are in O's "connoisseur's club" and advertise that fact. I have used two of them, one with a satellite office here in Northern California (main office in Seattle) and the other in central Florida. We haven't yet done any low enrolled cruises. But, the popular ones we have done have included significant OBC and added discounts based on special limited time/availability events.