Priceline - Amsterdam hotel

Is anyone having any luck with Priceline for a hotel in Amsterdam this summer?

I've been on the biddingfortravel website, but haven't seen much activity.

At this point, I'm interested in trying for Priceline. So I want to hear what anyone else's experience has been.

If Priceline doesn't work, I have some backups in mind, so I'm not looking for hotel suggestions. I'm just looking for anyone who has tried Priceline recently.

I got Barbizon Palace a 5* in Zone 2 for Early June $102

Check Trip advisor in the Amsterdam forum ..some recent bids listed there

some people got the Movenpick a 4* in Zone 2 (next to the cruise ship dock)

I got Barbizon Palace a 5* in Zone 2 for Early June $102

Check Trip advisor in the Amsterdam forum ..some recent bids listed there

some people got the Movenpick a 4* in Zone 2 (next to the cruise ship dock)

Thank you, I will check out tripadvisor.

And thanks for letting me know what you got.

I'm in the early stages of bidding. I am trying to bed 5* for city center, because I would like to get the Amsterdam Marriott. I'll keep trying.

I've read good thigns about Movenpick and Barbizon. Movenpick would have been great except that I am not cruising out of Amsterdam. I arranged my flights for my cruise (which departs out of Copenhagen), so that I would fly into Amsterdam, spend a day there, and then fly on to Copenhagen to catch my cruise.

Keeping fingers crossed I can get my hotel room through Priceline!

Thanks again for the info!

Thank you, I will check out tripadvisor.

And thanks for letting me know what you got.

I'm in the early stages of bidding. I am trying to bed 5* for city center, because I would like to get the Amsterdam Marriott. I'll keep trying.

I have not seen the Marriott for a while

good luck bidding

I have not seen the Marriott for a while

good luck bidding

I just found the forum you were talking about and I saw your post there about your recent win! That's terrific.

I read back about 10 pages on that thread and I too have not seen the Marriott. I wonder if they are still participating. Hm....

I guess if all else fails, I could bid for the Barbizon as well for my stay. I was just hoping for something near city center and Leidsplein rather than all the way near Centraal. But I guess if I got Barbizon, I could just take the train from Schiphol and walk across the street.....

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate it.

Edited by jstducky

I just found the forum you were talking about and I saw your post there about your recent win! That's terrific.

I read back about 10 pages on that thread and I too have not seen the Marriott. I wonder if they are still participating. Hm....

I guess if all else fails, I could bid for the Barbizon as well for my stay. I was just hoping for something near city center and Leidsplein rather than all the way near Centraal. But I guess if I got Barbizon, I could just take the train from Schiphol and walk across the street.....

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate it.

They changed the zones so maybe look for the new Zone 1 for the "central canal zone"

I am not familiar with all the areas in Amsterdam ..we do not mind near the CS area

good luck

lyn

We also got the NH Barbizon Palace in Amsterdam on Priceline for $100 per night in June. First we bid 5 star, and then added 4 star, and were successful with our bid.

Good luck.

Congratulations on your win

What date in June are you going ? we arrive on the 10th

Lyn

We arrive on the 7th and departing on the 9th. Sorry we'll miss you. Our cruise starts on the 9th of June.

Will try and keep the hotel in tip-top shape for you.

Have a great trip

We start our river cruise on the 11th

Have a great trip

We start our river cruise on the 11th

You too. We've never done a river cruise, but hope to do so in the near future. Love to hear how you enjoyed it.

This time we're doing the Arctic Circle and Norway Fjords cruise.

Enjoy we did that one in 2010

You can see our photos @

http://travel.webshots.com/album/578380757xQcCBv

Thanks so much for sharing your photos. I will enjoy having a sample of what lays ahead, and it will sure help to increase my excitement as we await this trip. The scenery seems awesome and this area has been on our bucket list for a while.

By the way did you do any private tours? We had been hoping to arrange small private tours in a couple of ports, but haven't been able to get the names of any good tour guides with great transportation. We're stopping at Geiranger, Tromso, Honningsvag, Molde, Alesund, Olden, & Bergen. I have been reading these boards for the last 6 weeks, but haven't read anything from anybody who has used private tours, except for people who have rented cars and DIY.

Tochio has been most helpful with his photographs, which are also amazing.

Thanks so much for sharing your photos. I will enjoy having a sample of what lays ahead, and it will sure help to increase my excitement as we await this trip. The scenery seems awesome and this area has been on our bucket list for a while.

By the way did you do any private tours? We had been hoping to arrange small private tours in a couple of ports, but haven't been able to get the names of any good tour guides with great transportation. We're stopping at Geiranger, Tromso, Honningsvag, Molde, Alesund, Olden, & Bergen. I have been reading these boards for the last 6 weeks, but haven't read anything from anybody who has used private tours, except for people who have rented cars and DIY.

Tochio has been most helpful with his photographs, which are also amazing.

We did some private tours If you want to email me (see my profile) I can give more info

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

So, after a month of trying to bid on Priceline for a hotel in Amsterdam I finally got one last night.

I had orignally hoped to get the Amsterdam Marriott in the Central Canal area, but I quickly realized that was going to be hard to come by, especially since no one has posted about getting the Amsterdam Marriott recently.

So, I expanded my bid to include the City Centre, assuming that like most of you, I'd end up with the Barbizon for close to $100.

So, each day I bid starting at $99 and I never ever got anything. Finally last night, I was able to get a hotel for $167. What I got was the Hotel Pulitzer in the Central Canal zone. It's a Starwood 5 star hotel right on the canal which looks gorgeous. Consider Priceline is pricing this hotel at $401 a night, and the hotel's direct website is pricing it at $450 pre-pay without refund. After looking at the hotel's website, the tripadvisor reviews, and the pictures I'm super happy with what I got!

BTW, I think the reason I was having trouble was because I'm looking for a Friday night in mid-August, which is the busiest month of the year for Europeans on holiday.

Edited by jstducky

So, I expanded my bid to include the City Centre, assuming that like most of you, I'd end up with the Barbizon for close to $100.

So, each day I bid starting at $99 and I never ever got anything. Finally last night, I was able to get a hotel for $167. What I got was the Hotel Pulitzer in the Central Canal zone.

Glad you got something

So, after a month of trying to bid on Priceline for a hotel in Amsterdam I finally got one last night.

I had orignally hoped to get the Amsterdam Marriott in the Central Canal area, but I quickly realized that was going to be hard to come by, especially since no one has posted about getting the Amsterdam Marriott recently.

So, each day I bid starting at $99 and I never ever got anything. Finally last night, I was able to get a hotel for $167. What I got was the Hotel Pulitzer in the Central Canal zone. It's a Starwood 5 star hotel right on the canal which looks gorgeous. Consider Priceline is pricing this hotel at $401 a night, and the hotel's direct website is pricing it at $450 pre-pay without refund. After looking at the hotel's website, the tripadvisor reviews, and the pictures I'm super happy with what I got!

BTW, I think the reason I was having trouble was because I'm looking for a Friday night in mid-August, which is the busiest month of the year for Europeans on holiday.

Hi Jstducky! Congrats on getting a great hotel. Our Constellation TA ends in Amsterdam in May. We are among those who got the Barbizon at a good price by bidding on Priceline. Is there anything you want us to look up for you in Amsterdam? Great to see your posts.

Hi Jstducky! Congrats on getting a great hotel. Our Constellation TA ends in Amsterdam in May. We are among those who got the Barbizon at a good price by bidding on Priceline. Is there anything you want us to look up for you in Amsterdam? Great to see your posts.

Hi Cindy!

Nice to see you around here! Wow, has it really been 4 years since our British Isles cruise together? Time flies!

Congrats on getting the Barbizon. I love using Priceline to bid. I, too, was hoping to get the Barbizon for a good price. But it didn't seem like it was to be for the time period I am going. But even though I'm paying more for the Hotel Pulitzer, I really like what we got and I think that the price I got it for was a steal compared to what the hotel acutally costs, so I'm happy. Amsterdam's not a cheap city, so to get a great hotel to boot at a reasonable price is good.

As for us (I'm going with my husband this time), Amsterdam is a 1 day stopover for us before we head to Copenhagen the next day to join our Baltics cruise. We're just making the most of our trip by taking an extra day to do Amsterdam. Since our time is limited, we're probably just going to walk around, do the Anne Frank House, do a canal tour and that's probably all we have time for.

What are your plans for Amsterdam? How long are you there? What is your cruise itinerary?

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have recent Priceline wins to report in Amsterdam? I always thought the Marriott was in the Central Canals zone, but when viewing the hotel listing on Priceline (where you can buy named hotel rooms without bidding or using Express Deals), it claims to be in the Museum Quarter. I wonder if they re-drew the zone lines (I believe that Museum Quarter is a fairly new zone)? I'm hesitant to bid 4* because apparently their star system is rather generous in Amsterdam and I've read bad reviews of alleged 4* hotels. I could not find a 2013 Priceline Amsterdam thread.

Edited by MisterBill99

Does anyone have recent Priceline wins to report in Amsterdam? I always thought the Marriott was in the Central Canals zone, but when viewing the hotel listing on Priceline (where you can buy named hotel rooms without bidding or using Express Deals), it claims to be in the Museum Quarter. I wonder if they re-drew the zone lines (I believe that Museum Quarter is a fairly new zone)? I'm hesitant to bid 4* because apparently their star system is rather generous in Amsterdam and I've read bad reviews of alleged 4* hotels. I could not find a 2013 Priceline Amsterdam thread.

the better bidding site usually has up to date wins or trip advisor in the Amsterdam forum

They did re do the zones a year or so ago we usually bid 4 or 5* in the zone # 3

Edited by LHT28

We got Movenpick 98$

The problem is what will I end up if I don't get the Movenpick at 4*? Or is it almost assured in that zone? I wouldn't mind being there since it would be very convenient to get to the pier, but don't want to end up at something else, which is likely a questionable 4*.

BTW it appears that the zones for named hotels do not match the zones for Express Deals/Name Your Own Price. That explains why the Marriott appears to show up in a different zone.

Edited by MisterBill99

The problem is what will I end up if I don't get the Movenpick at 4*? Or is it almost assured in that zone? I wouldn't mind being there since it would be very convenient to get to the pier, but don't want to end up at something else, which is likely a questionable 4*.

BTW it appears that the zones for named hotels do not match the zones for Express Deals/Name Your Own Price. That explains why the Marriott appears to show up in a different zone.

When bidding nothing is for certain

If you do not mind being in the Zone that you are bidding for a hotel then all is good ..

You could always just take one of the regular offers where you know the hotel

You could check if the Movenpick has any offers that suit your budget

We got the Barbizon Palace last year for $101 bid same zone as Movenpick....it was a good location for us

Lyn