Breeze vs. Dream

We have narrowed down our search for a cruise to 2, and we can't decide which one. The criteria was that we wanted to try one of the big ship. We have narrowed it down to the two following cruises:

Carnival Dream from NOLA to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. We weren't overly impressed with Roatan before, so we would likely just stay at the beach, and we didn't get off the ship in Belize (on a 4 port itinerary, we usually choose 1 to say on ship). We did love Cozumel though! This is a 7 day cruise, and I like that it has the extra day for just a little more. I also like that it is from a new home port (we will be cruising in February, and I have heard that NOLA is AMAZING to visit in February). I also like that it sails down the Mississippi, as the boys have never gone down a bay or river (I did on the Pride and it was cool to see)

Carnival Breeze to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. It's a 6 day cruise, but our favorite ports (so far) are GC and Cozumel. My BF and I have been to GC twice. It cruises from Miami, which is a port we know very well. I like that it has all the extra 2.0 amenities.

Has anybody cruised both, and has a favorite ship?

Amazing home port, meh ports & 7 days, vs. Additional Upgrades, ports we love but only 6 days.

I would choose Dream just because it's an extra night, and when that 6th night is over on Breeze, you'll wish you had an extra night. At least I would. The extra 2.0 spots on Breeze aren't enough to make me want to give up a night.

We're actually doing the Dream cruise to Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. I've never been to Roatan or Belize, so it's new to us. We're going to do snorkeling in Roatan and just a beach day at Bannister Island in Belize.

I'm having a tough time making a similar decision, except it's between Breeze and Magic for next fall.

The Breeze is a bit of a departure from Carnival's standard in terms of the appearance of most common areas, if that makes a difference to you.

How old are your boys? DH and I did cave tubing in Belize through a non-Carnival excursion several years ago and it was awesome. Jamaica has the waterfall climb and some other adventurous excursions.

I think if the price is the same, I'd go with the 7 day, just because it's a 7 day. I also think sailing out of NOLA would be awesome. Plus Café du Monde beignets pre-sail!

(I'm sure you already know this, but if you go to the Carnival site, you can do a ship-to-ship comparison so you can see the venues that Breeze has vs. Dream. In case there is something that would make you tip one way or the other.)

Edited by wampuscat7

How old are your boys? DH and I did cave tubing in Belize through a non-Carnival excursion several years ago and it was awesome. Jamaica has the waterfall climb and some other adventurous excursions.

I call them boys, but I guess they really aren't. My BF and his BFF are 27 :D

We have cruised both, and if I would have to choose between the two. I would pick the Breeze. However, you will have a great time on any ship you choose. If you go with the Dream, you will have a great time in New Orleans.

I've cruised both ships. Hands down, the Dream is absolutely a far better ship! The Breeze has more "stuff", but extra stuff doesn't mean it's better. For some people, it will be, because that particular stuff is what they love. For me, that stuff didn't really matter. I can take it or leave it.

The Dream has far superior entertainment, the best of all Carnival ships, while the Breeze has probably the worst & least entertainment. The Breeze felt like a little bit of a let-down after 2 great sailings on the Dream. So I went back to the Dream, and the 3rd sailing on her was again far better than the Breeze. So a better ship, an extra day, and NOLA, Dream is the clear winner for me.

I have sailed on both ships and liked the Breeze much better. The food and service was much better on the Breeze. They are both the same class ship. Liked the way the Breeze was decorated better.

Has the Dream changed to playlist production shows? That I don’t know.

3 ports on each cruise. Is one more sea day worth it to you?

I have been to New Orleans but not on a cruise. I may be wrong but isn’t most of the time on the Mississippi river done at night?

It is your decision. We did the 6 day Breeze last March and had a great time.

I absolutely loved the Dream! Beautiful ship. I would definitely do the 7 day, I love the extra sea days just for relaxing. I've done that particular itinerary before on the Conquest, and I love Cozumel as well. But I must say we really enjoyed Belize. I'm a history buff, so we took tours to historical sites and through the towns and we had a blast.

On the other hand, our last Dream cruise was to GC, Montego Bay, and Cozumel and that has been my favorite itinerary so far so if I just had to choose ports it would be those. However the Dream and the 7 day just win it over for me.

We have been on both ships.

Dream out of Port Canaveral, once.

Breeze out of Miami, our third time will be in December.

Ship wise, I love the Breeze.

In my opinion, it's the best ship in fleet.

Port wise, I've never cruised out of New Orleans, but I love cruising out of Miami.

Itinerary wise, the Breeze itinerary is my favorite itinerary.

All in all, I'd say do the 6 day Breeze out of Miami and spend a couple days in Miami after the cruise.

It extends your vacation a little and you get everything you like. :)

I live in New Orleans and we booked our first cruise in April on the Dream to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. If we enjoy this cruise we will be checking out other itineraries. I would love the 10 day NOLA to Puerto Rico or reverse it and fly to PR and end up in NOLA.

I've cruised both ships. Hands down, the Dream is absolutely a far better ship! The Breeze has more "stuff", but extra stuff doesn't mean it's better. For some people, it will be, because that particular stuff is what they love. For me, that stuff didn't really matter. I can take it or leave it.

The Dream has far superior entertainment, the best of all Carnival ships, while the Breeze has probably the worst & least entertainment. The Breeze felt like a little bit of a let-down after 2 great sailings on the Dream. So I went back to the Dream, and the 3rd sailing on her was again far better than the Breeze. So a better ship, an extra day, and NOLA, Dream is the clear winner for me.

I agree. Just got off the Breeze on Saturday and I don't think I would book it again, but I would definitely book the Dream. I'm hoping some of the things that I saw on the Breeze are limited to that particular ship and not fleet wide.

We have narrowed down our search for a cruise to 2, and we can't decide which one. The criteria was that we wanted to try one of the big ship. We have narrowed it down to the two following cruises:

Carnival Dream from NOLA to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. We weren't overly impressed with Roatan before, so we would likely just stay at the beach, and we didn't get off the ship in Belize (on a 4 port itinerary, we usually choose 1 to say on ship). We did love Cozumel though! This is a 7 day cruise, and I like that it has the extra day for just a little more. I also like that it is from a new home port (we will be cruising in February, and I have heard that NOLA is AMAZING to visit in February). I also like that it sails down the Mississippi, as the boys have never gone down a bay or river (I did on the Pride and it was cool to see)

Carnival Breeze to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. It's a 6 day cruise, but our favorite ports (so far) are GC and Cozumel. My BF and I have been to GC twice. It cruises from Miami, which is a port we know very well. I like that it has all the extra 2.0 amenities.

Has anybody cruised both, and has a favorite ship?

Amazing home port, meh ports & 7 days, vs. Additional Upgrades, ports we love but only 6 days.

Don't forget the port of New Orleans. I would choose Dream for the NOLA experience over the Miami experience.

I always enjoy these versus threads...thanks to all for the info. We've cruised the Breeze but not the Dream...we found it to be a great ship with some of the best overall food & service Carnival has to offer. We agree that the entertainment was a bit lacking. The comedy Club was smaller than the Carnival Glory's & didn't make sense to us as the Carnival Glory is smaller...Our cruise on the Glory was part of a B2B on Carnival...Glory then Breeze. Carnival Glory was very good also.

New Orleans is our favorite City in the country primarily due to the incredible food...so the fact that we like to try different cruise ships & the Louisiana Food would probably cause us to choose the Carnival Dream. :):):):)

Edited by cruiseclues