Recommended excursions vs. on your own in Eastern Mediterranean (August)

mdpa

Hi Everyone,

Asked the same question in roll call, but thought it might get more attention from experienced cruisers here. Family of 3, with a 12 year old daughter. Prefer things to lean towards being educational, but not boring since this is our first visit to the region.

Of course, want this to be a fantastic trip...but surprised how much things cost when paying for 3. We are not against doing things on our own...or paying more if justified. Example: Wife kind of wanted to do truffle hunting, but find it hard to justify $750.

Your help & guidance is appreciated...this is what we tentatively chose so far:

Koper, Slovenia- Villages of Piran & Istrian

Zadar, Croatia- Dalmation Origins

Hvar, Croatia- Hvar Island Highlights

Kotor, Montenegro- Flavours & Traditions of Montenegro

Olympia, Greece- Olympia - Birthplace of the Olympics

Santorini Greece- Highlights of Santorini

Kusadasi, Turkey- Ancient Ephesus

http://www.silversea.com/destinations/mediterranean-cruise/venice-to-piraeus-athens-5724/?fycref=row2#excursions

$750 ? Sounds like a bargain! lol

When I started reading your ports at first I thought it was my Spirit voyage next April but can see it's not.

I've not starting looking for tops yet but I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

It suggest looking at the port section on cruise critic which may have a few answers for you and give you the chance to ask in a more specific place.

I'm sure you'll get your answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone,

Asked the same question in roll call, but thought it might get more attention from experienced cruisers here. Family of 3, with a 12 year old daughter. Prefer things to lean towards being educational, but not boring since this is our first visit to the region.

Of course, want this to be a fantastic trip...but surprised how much things cost when paying for 3. We are not against doing things on our own...or paying more if justified. Example: Wife kind of wanted to do truffle hunting, but find it hard to justify $750.

http://www.silversea.com/destinations/mediterranean-cruise/venice-to-piraeus-athens-5724/?fycref=row2#excursions

Hi.....l would suggest having a look at each destination on Trip Advisor...over the years I've found loads of very helpful information with plenty of recommendations for all sorts of activities and tours.

Hope you have a fabulous voyage

Sophia ☺️

mdpa,

Sophia's advice re TA is good advice as on TA you get knowledgeable location experts there whereas here there is more of a tendency of people posting who have simply been on previous cruise tours.

If you are locked into the idea of tours I have no real suggestions. However a few of the places you listed I'd simply question whether they are a good thing. Zadar is a lovely smallish walled town which I suggest you might simply wander around. One main road takes you through town to the end and there are lots of fine buildings and aa museum or two and the local beer is extremely good. Where you dock is a sea organ that is mesmerising. Hvar has a small delightful town center and a scenic coastal walk if walking is your thing.

In Santorini my suggestion would be that you ensure you are one of the first off - perhaps a very early breakfast - and assuming you tender to the normal place you will make your way up to town either by a steep walk, donkeys or a funicular before queues form. The funicular is the better choice. My suggestion is that you make your way through town ie don't turn left or right but walk straight. You will hit a main road where there are taxis and busses. Take a taxi to Oia which is where most of the pictures taken of Santirini seem to be taken. It is delightful walking around first thing in the morning before the tourists arrive. When it gets swamped - which it will do when the coaches and buses arrive - simply taxi back to Fira and wander around at around lunch time'ish.

Kusadasi is not a particularly attractive place in itself with lots of tacky knick knack shops and I think your best bet is an Ephesus all day tour.

Anway these are my starters for you. Enjoy your trip.

Good morning, I went to Ephesus back in 2012 and it was totally awesome........I would highly recommend it. It was one of

the most amazing places I have ever visited. Oh, I loved Santorini too:).....whatever you decide.....hope you and your family

have a great cruise!:)

Edited by Lois R

We did the jeep off road in Hvar. You can take a look and get a preview as I posted photos from that on the cc board In August on 2016, we departed from la Serenissima on the Spirit.

We have been to Santorini, we did a wine tasting tour. I would not recommend doing the walk where the donkeys are, too much poop on the road, nasty!

Ephesus was amazing. If you can do the pricey tour of the houses there it's totally worth it. The concert in the evening was lovely.

With three people I'd definitely recommend private tours wherever possible. Not only will it probably be cheaper but you'll be on your own car with your own driver/guide and can set you won agenda.

With three people I'd definitely recommend private tours wherever possible. Not only will it probably be cheaper but you'll be on your own car with your own driver/guide and can set you won agenda.

But there is one downside to private tours -- not taking ship's busses: One is denied the huge pleasure of waiting in a hot bus for the one fellow guest who shamelessly arrives nearly 15 minutes after the scheduled departure time and wants to boast about the bargains s/he found and show off his/her purchases as s/he proceeds down the aisle to his/her seat.

We really enjoyed walking around Kotor on our own. There is a little museum and a nice market just outside the city wall. There is a trail up the mountain that many people walked but it is pretty steep. One of our favorite stops. Definitely need a tour of Ephesus. We took a tour to get to Oia but you could do it on your own. Oia is the view of santorini you want though.

But there is one downside to private tours -- not taking ship's busses: One is denied the huge pleasure of waiting in a hot bus for the one fellow guest who shamelessly arrives nearly 15 minutes after the scheduled departure time and wants to boast about the bargains s/he found and show off his/her purchases as s/he proceeds down the aisle to his/her seat.

And don't you just want to shoot them when they say "Sorry. I lost track of time?"

Hi Everyone,

I highly recommend using EKOL travel at Kusadasi. You will have a bus or car for your family along with a private guide. You can customize your experience to take in the Greek village of Sincire, plus the Church of St. John, and the house of the Virgin, and it will not be close to $750.

You can take a tour at Santorini if you want but I would suggest instead wandering Thira on your own and then taking the bus or a cab to Oia. Very easy to do. If you want to go to the beach you can also take a bus or cab there, but the best ones are on the opposite end of the island.

At Kotor you can easily spend the day walking in the old walled city. There is no need for an excursion. If you want an excursion I would look into a cab for a private tour.

Hvar is also a tiny place and you do not need a tour there unless you want to get out into the country side.

Second the suggestion of EKOL for a private tour of Ephesus. They did a great job for us. Educational, but not at all boring. If you are going during the summer, keep in mind that it can be VERY hot in Ephesus.

Hvar is a fun little town, and there's a nice walk up the hill to an old fort there with great views. No guide needed.

In Olympia (assume the port is Katakalon?) we took a local cab to Olympia and called him to pick us up when we were ready to leave. It is a wonderful site, with an interesting museum. The ruins are well marked. You might do some family reading on the history of the Olympics to make it even more interesting.

We also enjoyed just walking around Kotor - make sure you take the time to enjoy the trip to Kotor, as the fjord is quite beautiful. Looking back at my photos, I don't think I appreciated it enough while I was cruising.

As others have said, the ship tours often are a bit dry and boring. Touring independently, especially with a child, allows you to tailor the sight to your specific interests.

I totally agree with getting up early to watch the sail in to Kotor. It is breathtaking. We walked around Kotor by ourselves, half the fun is getting "lost" in the maze of small streets.

As well, we walked and wandered around Zadar. Lots to see on ones own!

I think a little bit of advance preparation and research goes a long way to permit one to strike out on ones own at a pace that is enjoyable. The Spirit docked right next to the sea organ in Zadar, so convenient!

I would highly recommend the ship's tour to Ephesus that includes the Terrace Houses option. We've taken it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. Both times we were met and guided by an archeologist on site who was actively working either in the Terrace Houses or other excavations at Ephesus. Their knowledge of the site was incredibly educational. The Terrace Houses tour option is limited participation, we had 12 on one tour and 16 on the other, so it's not a bus load that is hard to manage. If we ever go back we'd not hesitate to book the same tour a third time.

I would highly recommend the ship's tour to Ephesus that includes the Terrace Houses option. We've taken it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. Both times we were met and guided by an archeologist on site who was actively working either in the Terrace Houses or other excavations at Ephesus. Their knowledge of the site was incredibly educational. The Terrace Houses tour option is limited participation, we had 12 on one tour and 16 on the other, so it's not a bus load that is hard to manage. If we ever go back we'd not hesitate to book the same tour a third time.

I agree about the Terraced Houses in Ephesus, well worth it. Also if you like archaeology do consider the trip to Akirotiri in Santorini, again a well display active dig site. Otherwise Oia is easy to do by bus from Thira. We went on the walk and a'cappella concert in Havar and The Brilliance of Boka Bay in Kotor, neither of which I would do again - they were not actively bad but not terribly interesting. Much easier to wander round these towns on your own and perfectly safe .

Rp

I agree about the Terraced Houses in Ephesus, well worth it. Also if you like archaeology do consider the trip to Akirotiri in Santorini, again a well display active dig site. Otherwise Oia is easy to do by bus from Thira. We went on the walk and a'cappella concert in Havar and The Brilliance of Boka Bay in Kotor, neither of which I would do again - they were not actively bad but not terribly interesting. Much easier to wander round these towns on your own and perfectly safe .

Rp

Good recommendation on Akirotiri. It is considered one of the best archeological sites in the Med. I consider it a must see. Here again we took a ship's tour that was small like the Ephesus tour and we did stop in Oia afterwards.

I've been to most of these places on either Silversea of Seabourn. Here is my advice:

Hvar, Croatia- Hvar Island Highlights: Forget the excursions. Rent a small boat for the day (with a captain) and explore the area, especially the islands off the coast of Hvar. Spend a few hours at Langanini Beach Club/Fish House and/or Carpe Diem. You won't regret it. Leave an hour or two (at most) to explore the old town on your own.

Kotor, Montenegro- Flavours & Traditions of Montenegro- Forget the excursions and grab a cab to Budva. Spend some time at the beach near Sventan Steffi. Budva's Old Town at night is incredible. Or, alternatively, grab a cab to Port Montenegro and spend the day at the fabulous Yacht Club.

Olympia, Greece- Olympia - Birthplace of the Olympics- The excursion here is a must and very worthwhile. That said, there are tour companies advertising right on the pier where the ship docks which could probably do an equally good tour for less money. Nevertheless, it's not the worst thing to mingle with some fellow passengers on the Silver Sea tour and it's relatively inexpensive.

Santorini Greece- Highlights of Santorini- I'd bag the tour and rent a car. The island is gorgeous and there's lots to see in a day. (Red Beach, Black Beach, archeological dig (Akitori), etc. Leave a couple of hours, at least, to roam around Oia on foot).

Kusadasi, Turkey- Ancient Ephesus- Tour is a must here. If they do an evening concert, don't miss it.

I've been to most of these places on either Silversea of Seabourn. Here is my advice:

Hvar, Croatia- Hvar Island Highlights: Forget the excursions. Rent a small boat for the day (with a captain) and explore the area, especially the islands off the coast of Hvar. Spend a few hours at Langanini Beach Club/Fish House and/or Carpe Diem. You won't regret it. Leave an hour or two (at most) to explore the old town on your own.

Kotor, Montenegro- Flavours & Traditions of Montenegro- Forget the excursions and grab a cab to Budva. Spend some time at the beach near Sventan Steffi. Budva's Old Town at night is incredible. Or, alternatively, grab a cab to Port Montenegro and spend the day at the fabulous Yacht Club.

Olympia, Greece- Olympia - Birthplace of the Olympics- The excursion here is a must and very worthwhile. That said, there are tour companies advertising right on the pier where the ship docks which could probably do an equally good tour for less money. Nevertheless, it's not the worst thing to mingle with some fellow passengers on the Silver Sea tour and it's relatively inexpensive.

Santorini Greece- Highlights of Santorini- I'd bag the tour and rent a car. The island is gorgeous and there's lots to see in a day. (Red Beach, Black Beach, archeological dig (Akitori), etc. Leave a couple of hours, at least, to roam around Oia on foot).

Kusadasi, Turkey- Ancient Ephesus- Tour is a must here. If they do an evening concert, don't miss it.

Not only this topic but your reply is particularly helpful as I'm just putting the meat on the bones of our June/July Muse trip. THANK YOU.

MM

Mentioned this thread to Mrs K last night and she reminded me that the first time we were in Kotor we took the Flavours and Traditions of Montenegro tour and it was kind of blah and not worth it. It was the same tour but a year later that now good friends actually walked away from the tour and took a taxi back to Kotor. We've back twice since and have enjoyed just wandering around the narrow streets and alleyways of Kotor.

Edited by Randyk47

Descartes1 is right - Hvar, Kotor and Santorini are places for doing your own thing. Its wonderful just wandering on your own and Santorini is mainly about the views - there is nothing much to see other than cafes and little shops. When it comes to Ephesus however, I agree that a tour is a must - including the Terraced Houses, they are special.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Everyone,

We are going to Koper, Hvar and Kotor on our next cruise (July/ August) and will be doing it ourselves. There is no need to pay for excursions in these places, but it depends on your level of comfort.

Santorini - get off the ship and get a ferry to Oia. Don't do the donkeys - they smell and your clothes will be ruined. Then get a local bus back to the port. You will find that the ferry fare give some you the bus back.

Kusadasi - you must go to Ephesus- it is wonderful. We did a private tour with Ephesus tours - no more than 10 people in the bus and they pick you up and drop you at the pot. Really worthwhile.