Communicating Onboard?

ellynmae

But the user DOES NOT have to have the ship's WiFi package in order to use the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Correct, no requirement to purchase the WiFi package to use the app. The NCL ad for the app has this comment "*Wi-Fi charges do not apply when using the app. However, charges will apply when independently browsing the internet outside of the app."

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_062714.pdf

Correct, no requirement to purchase the WiFi package to use the app. The NCL ad for the app has this comment "*Wi-Fi charges do not apply when using the app. However, charges will apply when independently browsing the internet outside of the app."

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_062714.pdf

Yes, this is true.

I've seen those same walkie-talkies tossed in the garbage.

Or tossed overboard by really annoyed passengers. Lots of threads on CC about walkie talkies and they are all 100% negative.

DON

I suppose we could be a little more "programmed" than is typical for this bunch. i.e., plan ahead to have particular meals together. TBH, I wasn't expecting to have dinner (or other meal) as a group on a daily basis, partly because the young ones eat at 6, and DH and I typicaly at 8 or later. But a three-generation family vacay is an exercise in compromise, if not consensus. It's only a week.

It's my first major cruise, so I didn't realize there would be cabin-to-cabin telephones; part of me imagined the possibility of only to various customer services. (Yes, I've stayed in hotels, recently, without phones; especially in cities where people mostly use mobile)

Thanks all, for your interesting inputs.

That's why our group always has dinner together. To talk about our day and discuss our next day. In over 10 cruises with friends and family it has always worked great. And, like others have said, there is a thing called a telephone. I make up a list before we go with everyone's name. I give the cabin number and how you would dial it from the cabin. For example Baja deck might be 8 so Baja 508 would be 8508. I list everyone in the cabin just in case someone only knows someone else by the male person in the cabin.

Or tossed overboard by really annoyed passengers. Lots of threads on CC about walkie talkies and they are all 100% negative.

DON

I have had an amateur radio license for more than a decade and this has been discussed with technical details on a radio board I frequent. The FRS/GMRS radios are not designed for the steel boxes of a cruise ship. There is a more expensive digital radio which would work better but the cost is about $300 for each unit. A local golf club uses a GRMS channel to communicate. The golf club could be fined for using the frequency for commercial purposes.

I will bring a handheld scanner to relax by listening to the hustle and bustle of the port. Hopefully the app will reduce the use of the FRS/GMRS radios even more.

My DH and I use our mobile phones to find each other in Costco. How do you communicate with each other onboard?

My group is 16 ppl., in 7 cabins, on 3 decks. So, sure, I'd love to have a way to reach out to them all at once to say, "hey, how about lunch together today?" Running around w/ sticky notes is ok for one-way info, but seems inefficient for a group conversation…

On most ships (if not all), you'll get a newsletter listing the day's activities the night before. That's a good time for people in a cabin or a group to discuss the various activities of interest. Someone can say they would like to have lunch at noon, between the 11am trivia match and the 1pm zumba class, and see who else wants to join them at that time and at what dining venue.

Just be aware that with all the things to do on board, there may not be a consensus for everyone to eat together. But that's a good thing.

I travel with my hubby and daughter, but on a cruise ship I don't want to be tied to the hip with them all the time. On our last cruise, we did use notes...my hubby might write on the running note on our cabin door that he finished working out in the gym and is going to Skywalkers with his guitar. I would write down I'm on the way to the hula class and after that, I'll have lunch in the Horizon. My daughter (who was 15 then), wrote she's going to the pool deck with her friends, but will meet us for dinner (we had traditional, so she knew where and when). Honestly, we had those kind of written conversations.

Cabin telephone, and any public phone, which are located all over the ship. Typically just dial your cabin number, if you are the one who is out of the cabin.

As others have said, DH and I usually have an idea where the other is, or where and when we will meet up. But if one of us wants to tell the other "You should see this sunset", it's worth a try.

We never ever carry phones with us on a cruise.

Regarding the Norwegian iConcierge app, I was reading the welcome aboard book for NCL and it lists all the NCL boats compatible with the app. The list does not include Jade, which I will be cruising on in September. Anyone know if the latest refurbishment of the boat this Spring has added this function?

86356209f9b3d0a46b84c7ea42c6c236.jpg

Anisa

Toronto, Canada