Outlets

Notion_of_the_Ocean

What kind of outlets are in the staterooms? Are they standard US outlets or do we need an adapter of some sorts?

There were two outlet areas in our balcony stateroom. In the vanity area, there was one US and one European outlet.

On the side of the cabinet that housed the refrigerator, there was an additional US and a European outlet.

In the bathroom, there was just one outlet, a European style which was labeled for shavers only.

So you don't need an adapter, but there are only a couple of outlets that will work with US devices.

Also, we had a problem at the Intercontinental. I always travel with a little noise machine. I also have a universal adapter that will fit in non-US style outlets. So when it was time to go to bed at the IC, I used my adapter to plug my noise machine into the outlet. It ran for about 10 minutes, and then with a zap! it died.

The plug was the problem. The noise machine still works with batteries, but the charger was fried. It made me paranoid to use my universal adapter with other electronics.

This is the noise machine I use. Unfortunately the adapter is fried, but it still works with batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/HoMedics-SS-2000G-Relaxation-Machine-Nature/dp/B00A2JBMRE/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1473662668&sr=8-3&keywords=noise+machine

This is the adapter I used. I also used this last year in Italy and it worked fine. But this time in Tahiti, it fried my device.

https://www.amazon.com/MX-UC1-Protector-Universal-Charger-Adapter/dp/B00E0FZSQC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473662758&sr=8-4&keywords=international+power+adapter

I have attempted to attach a photo of the adapters we have. Will any of these work? How concerned do I need to be about the electricity frying my devices?

Well, as far as adapters, you have a couple there that I can see--it's basically the "Euro" plug, two round prongs. Looks like the black one near the top is one of those.

As far as electricity, your electronic devices such as a phone, laptop or camera will have a converter built into the "transformer", the little box that's part of the charging plug; almost all those devices are dual-current. These will be fine. But anything like a hairdryer, curling iron or shaver will have to have a converter, unless the device is specifically dual-current--sometimes hairdryers will have a switch, for instance.

If you're worried, you can always just bring a small, portable power bar, and just use the U.S. plugs.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I think that some of the responses may not be clear.

In FP they use a 220 volt system. In the US it is 110 volt. If your device is designed only for 110 volts and you plug it in to a 220 volt system you will probably fry the device. Theoretically you could not do this as the US plugs don't fit into the European 2 pin style outlets.

However, us smart people have invented an adapter that lets a US plug connect to the adapter that then fits into the 220 volt outlet. This DOES NOT change the 220 volts to 110 volts. It simply allows your device to plug into the outlet. Again, if your device is not designed to have an input of 220 volts you will fry the device.

Many of the newer devices such as cameras, phones, iPads, laptops, etc. can have an input of 220 volts and you won't fry the device. This is done by plugging in the charging block to the outlet. On the charging block (usually a white block for most Apple devices) in tiny lettering is the description that input of 110v-220v is appropriate. If your charging block or device does not state this do not use it.

Many of us bring a charging strip so that we can plug in multiple devices to one outlet. A typical charging strip DOES NOT change the 220 volts to 110 volts. If you use a charging strip with an adapter you now have a charging strip with 220 volts going through it. I would not do this as very few charging strips are rated for 220 volts. You could potentially have an overheating situation with the charging strip. The charging strip is great to use if your resort has only one US style plug and you want more capacity.

So, you have two processes you can follow. If your device is specifically rated for 110-220 volt input a simple and cheap adapter will work fine in a 220 volt outlet. If your device is not rated for 220 volts then you need a voltage converter which will step down the 220 volts to 110 volts. A converter from Amazon will cost about $15 vs only a couple of dollars for an adapter.

Thank you Flightmedic for the explanation! I can see now how we went wrong with my noise machine. Fortunately it is not an expensive appliance and it still works with batteries.

I appreciate your more thorough explanation of how this all works!

Becky

• 2 weeks later...

Flight medic is 100% correct. I travel ALOT internationally.

I carry a tiny power strip in my suitcases at all times, as well as one of the little universal plug adaptors. Again it doesn't convert anything, so don't plug just anything into the strip. Read your labels. With that said, some international locations put a 120v outlet somewhere in the room if they have a LOT of American travelers. It is likely this is why the noise maker torched off. It is possible it also just was nearing the end of its life and failed, a 220v input is tougher on lower quality converters.

• 8 months later...
Well, as far as adapters, you have a couple there that I can see--it's basically the "Euro" plug, two round prongs. Looks like the black one near the top is one of those.

As far as electricity, your electronic devices such as a phone, laptop or camera will have a converter built into the "transformer", the little box that's part of the charging plug; almost all those devices are dual-current. These will be fine. But anything like a hairdryer, curling iron or shaver will have to have a converter, unless the device is specifically dual-current--sometimes hairdryers will have a switch, for instance.

If you're worried, you can always just bring a small, portable power bar, and just use the U.S. plugs.

So if we bring a power strip with like 5 plugs on it we can plug that into the US outlet and plug 5 things into the strip? It will not blow a curcuit?