Requesting wheelchair assistance on the Delta website

RuthC

I booked the flight to my cruise on the Delta website quite a while back. At the time I couldn't find a field in which to request wheelchair assistance from check-in to the plane, and from the plane to ground transportation at the destination.

So, I went ahead and made the booking, thinking to deal with it later. Later has now come, as the flight is about a month off.

I went to the website yesterday and, try as I might, can't find any way in which to request the assistance I need. Every other airline I use has this feature, most quite prominently.

The last time I flew Delta (which I swore would be the last time I flew Delta :rolleyes: ) was a horrible experience trying to get assistance, and I don't want to repeat that.

So, can someone please give me instructions on how to find where on the Delta Air website I enter my request?

Or, can it not be done on the website at all? If that's true, then a toll-free number would be helpful, as all I could find was a number I have to pay for.

Thank you for whatever information you can provide.

I booked the flight to my cruise on the Delta website quite a while back. At the time I couldn't find a field in which to request wheelchair assistance from check-in to the plane, and from the plane to ground transportation at the destination.

So, I went ahead and made the booking, thinking to deal with it later. Later has now come, as the flight is about a month off.

I went to the website yesterday and, try as I might, can't find any way in which to request the assistance I need. Every other airline I use has this feature, most quite prominently.

The last time I flew Delta (which I swore would be the last time I flew Delta :rolleyes: ) was a horrible experience trying to get assistance, and I don't want to repeat that.

So, can someone please give me instructions on how to find where on the Delta Air website I enter my request?

Or, can it not be done on the website at all? If that's true, then a toll-free number would be helpful, as all I could find was a number I have to pay for.

Thank you for whatever information you can provide.

Why don't you call them and have a phone rep enter it into your record for both directions (and for both to/from the plane).

That's what we do for any type of special assistance, including wheelchair assistance.

We don't fly Delta, but is there really NO toll free number for reservations?

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/special-travel-needs/disabilities.html

Says "..., contact Reservations to request special assistance."

Which is actually SO much better, in that you are talking with a real agent.

Part of this is because there are so many variable levels of "assistance". It can range from needing an aisle wheelchair to take someone down the aircraft's aisle to their seat, to regular wheelchairs to the door of the aircraft, to wheelchairs/carts to the gate house.

Better that the agent can input exactly what you need. FWIW, the procedure for aisle wheelchairs is quite involved, so it's a distinct category. Know what you need, then call. And if you are fine in/out the jetway (perhaps with added time), that's one thing. If you need door to door, that's another. And IIRC, you don't need assistance onboard to your seat.

Most larger airports have prospect services which are wheelchair services and they may have a counter that you can go right up to! Or when you check in a delta rep can call prospect services for you a chair!! And as a last resort once you go through security an TSA supervisor can call those services for you and they will come get you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most larger airports have prospect services which are wheelchair services and they may have a counter that you can go right up to! Or when you check in a delta rep can call prospect services for you a chair!! And as a last resort once you go through security an TSA supervisor can call those services for you and they will come get you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Usually/often, one can request wheelchair assistance from the check-in counter of your airline. They'll call someone, whether it is someone "from the airport in general" or if it is from a group who are dedicated to a particular airline. (And sometimes there are various types of general airport "greeters/helpers", with identifiable jackets/vests, who can help someone almost just insider the door or the airport, or a bit further inside, but still before any check-in desks, or lines.

If an airport or airline offers wheelchair assistance (we haven't encountered one that doesn't - yet), I can't imagine they would offer it only *after* Security. In some airports it's a long walk (or wait for those who can't stand) to get to Security. Also, in some cases, wheelchair travelers need to be wheeled *through* Security itself.

That last situation, needing wheelchair assistance getting through Security is handled really well at some airports/airlines, ranging all the way to abysmal. On the other hand, it IS extremely helpful/necessary to have any such assistance!

We've had experiences where the "help" is barely an entry level person with apparently no training about much of anything, to some very pleasant and extremely helpful (and competent) help, to corporate volunteers (where the airline involved didn't pay, but apparently offered them travel vouchers).

Ruth - which airports are you using?

I only had one occasion when I had to use wheelchair assistance, but it was a doozy (post-serious accident on vacation in Italy): Florence to CDG (overnight at Sheraton CDG), CDG-IAD on Air France, then IAD-home on Delta. Luckily, I had someone to arrange this all for me, including my ex's French boss talking with the SAPHIR Services people at CDG to be sure they would transfer me from plane to hotel and then back to plane the next day.

I say Call Delta Disability Assistance: 404-209-3434. On the Delta website, they also have a form you may fill out to request assistance. Go: main page, click on "Traveling with Us", scroll down and click on "Special Assistance", corner box on right of page - click on "Disability Service Requests." On that page, it also says you can go to the "My Trips" page and request there. So, multiple ways to get this done. Good luck!

I say Call Delta Disability Assistance: 404-209-3434. On the Delta website, they also have a form you may fill out to request assistance. Go: main page, click on "Traveling with Us", scroll down and click on "Special Assistance", corner box on right of page - click on "Disability Service Requests." On that page, it also says you can go to the "My Trips" page and request there. So, multiple ways to get this done. Good luck!

That's the phone number I found on the website. But the website instructions are precisely what I was asking for. Now, to see if I can make them work!

Thanks for posting the method.

• 4 weeks later...

With Delta, I request a wheelchair, sometimes when I book or later and never had a problem. You can go on their website and change it (also specials meals) at anytime. When I check in at the counter, I ask the rep to check there is a wheelchairs listed on my reservation throughout my travel. I had 3 connections each way on my last travel and Delta came through with flying colors! Luggage actually arrived too!