Loosing Weight on a Cruise

jhuntermartin

On my first cruise we had a Cruise Director who cracked a few jokes and this one I will never forget. "Please remember first time cruisers our elevators normally carry 10 people on the first day and only 5 by the last day."

We took our first cruise and I actually came back three pounds lighter and the food was good. Not great but it was RCCL and food has never been their strong area.

I actually loose weight on cruises and actually took a cruise to shed 10 pounds and wound up getting rid of 14. NO JOKE. Here is how I do and still enjoy my cruise.

I eat only Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. No room service or buffets except for breakfast I go for the Lox, fruit, and yogurt. At meals I do not eat bread and only eat cakes or pies on selected meals. No seconds on anything.

I visit the gym and do 1 hour of Cardio every other day. I use the stairs when traveling. I usually book the cheapest Inside so on the new ships that is a long trip. I enjoy the cruise and my weight always go down.

Good for you! I always diet before my cruise so I am able to eat more on my cruise. I am not the biggest fan of cruise ship food but the fact that we have three sit down meals a day with my family does cause me to add some pounds. I stay active on my cruise and usually burn more calories on the ship but between all the food that is available having more drinks, I always come home heavier.

We took our first cruise and I actually came back three pounds lighter and the food was good.

I've had similar experience. I think its because, even though there is tons of food on a cruise ship, snack items are not readily at hand like they are at home. In other words, if I want a snack, I have to go somewhere to get it, and that cuts down on consumption. :-)

While I've never lost weight on a cruise, I don't gain much either. Any weight I do gain is usually water retention because the food is much more salty than I generally eat at home, and is easily lost within a day or two of returning home.

On a cruise, I eat what I want, in whatever quantities I want, but I think the trick for me is that I am significantly more active on both the ship and ashore than I am in my sedentary life at home.

I either lose or stay the same on cruises. I am very conscious of eating salad and veggies...we seniors need our fiber! I seldom eat desserts, because I just don't like them. Sometimes I will have ice cream. I used to take the stairs down all the time, and up when two flights or less. Unfortunately, bad knees limit the stairs now. EM

I don't think I've ever gained weight on a cruise.

1) I eat as I normally would. I don't over eat or snack just because the food is there.

2) I keep active either in the port or by visiting the gym for at least an hour a day.

3) I take the stairs rather than the elevators.

I still recall one of my first cruises when a gentleman at lunch ordered 3 items from the menu... because he could. :eek: I bet he gained a few pounds!

We always lose on cruises too due to added activity.

Walking around the ship, attending fitness classes and the gym, swimming, hiking in ports, walking on sand and over rocks, dance clubs, also we don't like to wait for the elevators so often take the stairs.

Also we never order extra entrees or try to eat meals twice. A couple lines we've sailed we weren't huge fans of the food anyway.

Ate everything I wanted on our cruise and then some (not much of a dessert eater) and only gained 1.8lbs. Was gone in no time.

Edited to add it probably helps we don't drink alcohol or sugar drinks. I might be a different story if we did!

Edited by JustCruiseMe

I'm much more active on a cruise, plus the heat takes away my appetite. I do tend to eat and drink alot more.

BTW: "Loose" as in loose change; "lose" as in don't lose your change. So it's "lose" weight, not loose. Sorry, pet peave. And I know we're not supposed to make corrections. My bad.