Anyone had back surgery?

BillOh

I had spinal fusion done Jan 10th and I probably won't be able to dive on my upcoming May cruise! I do see the doctor April 10th and see what restrictions have changed and what I can do again. Anyone else have to wait because of this type of surgery. I know right now despite how good I feel I am not allowed to lift more than 15 pounds. I typically carry 16 pounds when ocean diving.

I am being careful and following the doctors instructions to the letter, but haven't been able to ask when I could return to diving, which I will, but was curious to the experience of others.

I haven't had back surgery, although I did have a hip replacement. I do have lower back problems and almost always have them throw my bc and tank in the water and I put it on there. I also never climb back up the ladder with it on. I can walk with it on, but I pay for it later dearly, especially if I'm wearing the 5 mm and the heavier weights.

Hey there Bill, I can't say I feel your pain, but I can come close.

Several years ago one of my dive buddies had a fusion after 3 different disectomies failed. He stayed out of the water for a few months (3), but started diving as soon as he could (stubborn guy)...

The key was his "best dive buddy ever" (me) carried everything. At no point did he carry a load at all. As Laurie mentioned, take the BC / tank on and off in the water. Don't even think about a weight belt (if your BC isn't weight-integrated, get one). Use a steel tank if possible (less weight in the BC). Using the thinnest wetsuit you can will also decrease the amount of weight you need to carry. (All stuff you know).... 16lbs is a lot... I'm 210 and only carry 6 when using a steel 100 or 120 in SoFL and wearing a 1mm.

The one time when he had to walk in and out with gear on (shore dive in medium surf) I walked behind him holding up the tank... In hind-site he should have skipped that dive.

Honestly my friend really felt great once in the water.

I guess what I am suggesting is that after 4 months of recovery, you may very well be able to dive. The diver community is a pretty friendly community. I am sure many, and not just your dive buddy, will gladly help.

As a smart diver I am sure you have your DAN insurance (no one should dive without DAN, but that's just my opinion), but I'd really make sure you have it if you're going to dive in May.

Good luck.

Edited by SheepdogGriff

• 4 weeks later...

Saw the surgeon yesterday, He wants me to wait 3 more months till I do anything involving any twisting. I won't dive this cruise, but will snorkel a little bit. Maybe in late August I'll find a local quarry dive for this year.

Oh, bummer!

Ever dive in fresh water where Bluegill are the prominent species? Annoying fish, everything is food to them. Just when you think you see something interesting, 10 of them will start hitting on your mask.

• 3 months later...

FYI, I've been given the go ahead to dive again 6 months after surgery. I plan on currently diving in Grand Caymen next cruise, but there is always the chance of missing that port.

I may do a local quarry dive this year, just to keep my skills up.

• 4 weeks later...

I had an emergency microdiscectomy performed in Jan 2006, not the same as a fusion, but had restrictions and chronic back issues, as well. I do still have issues carrying a lot of weight (all my gear!) - but I purchased a BC with a back plate and integrated weights, and that helps for sure.

We actually went diving on our Caribbean cruise in spring 2013 and I wouldn't do it again...we brought all our own gear since it gives me the jeebies to use rented stuff (and a lot more secure knowing how my own gear is cared for) - it was a pain lugging out every morning, going through security, lugging it down those loooooong piers to catch our ride to the dives - and then doing it all again when we were done (not to mention cleaning and drying everything - ugh!). My husband tried to carry as much as he could for me, but I'll be honest, my back was hurting lugging my stuff, especially back onto the boat when it was all wet and you'd do those long walks just to get on board and then have to queue up to go through security.

During our actual dives my back was totally fine - it is just carrying my gear around that bothers me at times. On two of the boat dives, the surface was so calm that my husband actually lowered my gear down and I put it on in the water and also at the end of the dives I took it off and 2 guys pulled it up - now THAT was easy on the back! Surface was too choppy on the rest of the dives, but that worked out really well if you can do that.

Good luck! Have fun snorkeling this go-round! :)

Edited by lunula

Good luck! Have fun snorkeling this go-round! :)

Thanks for your story. I did cruise in May and did some snorkeling/swimming and was happy to get the excercise. I've been given the green light to dive again, my next real dive will most likely be next May, but I am going to a local dive shop with a 15ft dive pool just to see how I feel with the weight.

• 3 weeks later...

We dove in Grand Cayman and Cozumel last week, taking all our own stuff as we have for some years. I, too; have a bad back that normally hurts a bit to a lot. We use rolling luggage as well and lugging is STILL a major chore. Still doin' it and the shore dives at both stops were good.

I use non buoyant heavy skins with some thermal protection to minimize the lead needed as well as use a 63 cu ft tank to cut the weight on my back. In cooler water I use Lavacore shirts and shorts with my 1 mil equivalent Henderson or Aeroskins as well as a Lavacore hood--I am ok diving in temps down to the low 70's with these additions........

Edited by jimw

• 3 weeks later...

I am pleased to say I am officially diving again! Last night I went back to the facility I took my certification courses at, rented equipment and got in the pool with an instructor. My main purpose was to see how my back felt/held up with the weight and getting in and out of the pool. It went great. I took my gopro so I could get use to playing with it underwater and I worked on my skills awhile. I think I made a tank last about 45 minutes before I got tired and got out. I'm now officially planning my dive for Grand Caymen in April.