Foreign Transaction Fee question (MSC)

CantSwim63

Hi, it looks like MSC has a presence on here, but would also appreciate any information from Canadian or North American credit card holders.

I understand about the "possibility" of foreign transaction fees for credit card billings negotiated through an offshore bank (for Canadians, assuming this is the same for US as well, and type of credit card). My old forensic audit days are kicking in and I want to limit my charges or do away with them so would like to know: 1) MSC's bank (and country) for credit card transactions; and 2) For cruise account settlement, is there only one transaction at the end of the cruise or is each hold (every $200 or $250) put through and a transaction fee charged.

And a side question for those in North America who have had to dispute charges, can you share your experience please.

Thanks.

Raoul

Hi, it looks like MSC has a presence on here, but would also appreciate any information from Canadian or North American credit card holders.

I understand about the "possibility" of foreign transaction fees for credit card billings negotiated through an offshore bank (for Canadians, assuming this is the same for US as well, and type of credit card). My old forensic audit days are kicking in and I want to limit my charges or do away with them so would like to know: 1) MSC's bank (and country) for credit card transactions; and 2) For cruise account settlement, is there only one transaction at the end of the cruise or is each hold (every $200 or $250) put through and a transaction fee charged.

And a side question for those in North America who have had to dispute charges, can you share your experience please.

Thanks.

Raoul

The charges go through MSC DIVINA PARIS, 1 charge at the end. They do put a hold in after you reach a certain amount. The transaction fee will be based on your credit card agreement.

The charges go through MSC DIVINA PARIS, 1 charge at the end. They do put a hold in after you reach a certain amount. The transaction fee will be based on your credit card agreement.

Thanks Bosjoe. Makes my credit card choice a lot easier.

(And I think you are one of the early posters for the great prices, so super thanks for that as well).

Cheers! Raoul

My charges were MSC USA for the cruise payment. The on board charges were MSC Geneva ( Preziosa.)

I did not have a hold put on the card as far as I know (Amex).

Based on a sample size of two, it looks like MSC uses a different European "bank" for each ship. Thanks for your assistance, I guess I will just forgo some points and go for no fees. I just get a dose of paranoia when I see the phrases foreign transaction fees and credit card charges together. Cheers! Raoul

I called MSC and they said they now use an American bank, when I asked them which one, they said we'll be right back, a minute later the phone disconnected!

So ' MSC' , what's the answer, what bank do you use for the Divina!

We recently sailed Divina out of Miami, Christmas 2013. Our booking payment was US out of Ft. Laurdale(no fees), but our on board spending credit charge was through a foreign bank which initiated transaction fees of 3%, which was worth the MSC Club points for all of the mandatory tipping, on board spending, and pre-booked drink packages. There is a thread about this, and some cards do not charge foreign transaction fees.

• 1 month later...
I called MSC and they said they now use an American bank, when I asked them which one, they said we'll be right back, a minute later the phone disconnected!

So ' MSC' , what's the answer, what bank do you use for the Divina!

Did u ever get resolution to your foreign services charge question, as it pertains to charges incurred on the ship? The (conflicting ) info that I received from MSC, is that they use a US Bank. Wish they'd get their act together with regard to the answer to this question. Doesn't seem like,it would be that hard to find a definitive answer. US Bank, US Citizen, No foreign transaction orNon US Bank, US Citizen= Foreign Transaction Fee. MSC, or anyone please reply with the answer

To OP; if you are in Canada get a F/X & fee free CC which is presently Sears Master Card or Amazon Visa (apply from amazon.ca). Save 2.5% over regular C$ traditional cards. Both settle at interbank rate. Can always check rates on oanda.com. Both cards are very good with excellent online sites. They are useful to have around for any type of F/X transactions (online or in store)

Edited by hkto

It has nothing at all to do with which bank MSC use. Your credit card will be charged exactly whatever you spend. The onboard currency will either be $US or Euros depending upon itinerary. If you have a card in the same currency, there will be no fee. If your card is in a different currency, the card issuer determines the foreign exchange fee. This is often a combination of a worse than mid-market exchange rate and an explicit fee. To get the lowest fee, shop around for your cards before travelling. Typical fees for Visa cards are 3%, for Amex it is worse. Cash withdrawals usually attract a per withdrawal fixed fee on top. There are exceptions and often the pre-paid Mastercards have some of the lowest fees. The alternative is to get a card in the currency you will be charged in but there is inevitably a foreign exchange fee at some point.

I mostly agree with you Tim. However a while back there were loads of complaints on here where US passengers went on a US sailing and paid in US$. If this were the situation in the Uk a UK bank would not levy a charge but apparently some US card issuers were levying fees because MSC 's merchant card provider was outside the US. They viewed it as a foreign transaction and added on fees.

I'm not surprised MSC cannot answer this as it largely depends on the individual's bank. If however MSC were to confirm they now process the transaction in the US, chance are much greater reduced that a US passenger will suffer a foreign transaction fee from their bank.

I mostly agree with you Tim. However a while back there were loads of complaints on here where US passengers went on a US sailing and paid in US$. If this were the situation in the Uk a UK bank would not levy a charge but apparently some US card issuers were levying fees because MSC 's merchant card provider was outside the US. They viewed it as a foreign transaction and added on fees.

I'm not surprised MSC cannot answer this as it largely depends on the individual's bank. If however MSC were to confirm they now process the transaction in the US, chance are much greater reduced that a US passenger will suffer a foreign transaction fee from their bank.

I wasn't aware of that. It sounds like MSC's mistake to me - trying to make US guests feel comfortable charging in dollars when the underlying charge was really in Euros. Naughty and hopefully they have learned their lesson.

My grandfather's currency of choice was Spondulaks but I have never come across a cruise line or a card issuer that uses that currency to date.

P.S. I think that is the closest Amo and I have ever come to a disagreement - it was still very concordant :).

Edited by Skipper Tim

On Three occasions I have incurred an overseas transaction fee on my Credit Card from my bank. The payment for the onboard bill each time was made to a bank in France for MSC.

There has always been a fee.

The EU has mandated on-top cash charges to be separately itemised. which they never have been before. Hence we now see the charges on our statements.

Have a card especially for travelling with!!!!!! Shop around. I cannot imagine anything else.

Edited by Skipper Tim

This is something I have not even considered. I am leaving a US Port on Divina - paying for everything in US $ --- I should not be charged a foreign exchange on my credit card ... anyone with recent experience on Divina?

I got charged in USD for all onboard charges. Amount matched the final bill and there were no other charges levied by CC even the payee was in France (MSC DIVINA PARIS). Same was true for cruise charges, all in USD as quoted by TA. No surcharges.

Edited by hkto

This is something I have not even considered. I am leaving a US Port on Divina - paying for everything in US $ --- I should not be charged a foreign exchange on my credit card ... anyone with recent experience on Divina?

Please! You should shop around for foreign exchange (FX) fees before even thinking about travelling. Which planet are you from? Sorry to be blunt. That is how I am.

On Three occasions I have incurred an overseas transaction fee on my Credit Card from my bank. The payment for the onboard bill each time was made to a bank in France for MSC.

That's to be expected.. Presumably:D as a UK resident you are using a UK card with the currency £sterling. Paying for an onboard bill in euros is a foreign transaction. This thread is about us passengers, on us sailings! with cards issued by US banks incurring a foreign transaction charge for paying in US $. That said I don't get a foreign transaction charge because I use a card that doesn't charge one. Wish I could say the same about my company's business expenses card - the fees on that are brutal for overseas transactions.

That's to be expected.. Presumably as a UK resident you are using a UK card with the currency £sterling. Paying for an onboard bill in euros is a foreign transaction. This thread is about US passengers, on US sailings! with cards issued by US banks incurring a foreign transaction charge for paying in US $. That said I don't get a foreign transaction charge because I use a card that doesn't charge one. Wish I could say the same about my company's business expenses card - the fees on that are brutal for overseas transactions.

[quote=Skipper Tim;42465934

P.S. I think that is the closest Amo and I have ever come to a disagreement - it was still very concordant :).

Yes we are still friends Tim and I will still gladly join your unofficial tours or partake of drink and food with you. Not so sure about late night drinking out on pool decks in sleeveless evening gowns though. I may also be a northerner but I'm a wimp!

Edited by AmoMondo

It has nothing at all to do with which bank MSC use. Your credit card will be charged exactly whatever you spend. The onboard currency will either be $US or Euros depending upon itinerary. If you have a card in the same currency, there will be no fee. If your card is in a different currency, the card issuer determines the foreign exchange fee. This is often a combination of a worse than mid-market exchange rate and an explicit fee. To get the lowest fee, shop around for your cards before travelling. Typical fees for Visa cards are 3%, for Amex it is worse. Cash withdrawals usually attract a per withdrawal fixed fee on top. There are exceptions and often the pre-paid Mastercards have some of the lowest fees. The alternative is to get a card in the currency you will be charged in but there is inevitably a foreign exchange fee at some point.

Capitol One, whether as a VISA or MasterCard (I have both) do not charge a foreign transaction fee, period. Other cards may or may not, you'll have to read the fine print for each card.

This thread is about US passengers, on US sailings! with cards issued by US banks incurring a foreign transaction charge for paying in US $. That said I don't get a foreign transaction charge because I use a card that doesn't charge one. Wish I could say the same about my company's business expenses card - the fees on that are brutal for overseas transactions.

Shop around for cards before leaving home! In particular: what is the fee for foreign currency transactions cash and purchases? This knowledge will guide the cards you use,

Yes we are still friends Tim and I will still gladly join your unofficial tours or partake of drink and food with you. Not so sure about late night drinking out on pool decks in sleeveless evening gowns though. I may also be a northerner but I'm a wimp!

How about a cardigan the next time? I am sensitive you know.

I had a great cruise. The next will have to be warmer at nights,