I REALLY REALLY want to snorkel but.....

Nadersmom

So now that I've got a cabana booked for HMC and we get snorkel equipment, I really want to go over by that rock wall and see some fish.

The thing is.......when I tried it for the first time in Cozumel, I had a really hard time with it. Felt totally claustrophobic trying to breath thru that tube. I kept telling myself to relax and focus on breathing slow. But it was much harder than I thought it would be and finally gave up. :(

Was it just me? Is there a technique of sorts that I should learn? Has anyone else learned to snorkel after having a difficult time starting out? I really want to do this but need to figure out how to relax.

No, it's not just you. When I first started snorkeling I had the hard time. I felt just like you did. Finally I got the hang of it. I can't really tell you how. I wish I could give you some pointers but I can't. Just keep at it. Hopefully you will finally realize you're not going to die. I know it's a scary feeling but once you start seeing beautiful fish, you won't to quit.

Snorkeling may take some getting used to, for the reasons you mention. It may not be for everyone. Once used to the snorkel/mask, it is quite fun, and pretty simple.

We have snorkeled for almost 30 years, all over the world. I would not recommend snorkeling "free lance" for your first few times, unless you are a very strong swimmer, and very comfortable in the water. A better process would be maybe some testing very close to shore at HMC (not at the sites mentioned on some of the other threads- those are free lance events) to get used to the mask/snorkel, or a snorkeling excursion, where you can get some instruction, and some supervision for your first couple of snorkel experiences.

No, it's not just you. When I first started snorkeling I had the hard time. I felt just like you did. Finally I got the hang of it. I can't really tell you how. I wish I could give you some pointers but I can't. Just keep at it. Hopefully you will finally realize you're not going to die. I know it's a scary feeling but once you start seeing beautiful fish, you won't to quit.

Thanks so much. Yes, it surprised me how freaked out I felt trying to breath thru at tube. As I said, I need to just learn how to relax myself a little and work through it I guess. :rolleyes:

Snorkeling may take some getting used to, for the reasons you mention. It may not be for everyone. Once used to the snorkel/mask, it is quite fun, and pretty simple.

We have snorkeled for almost 30 years, all over the world. I would not recommend snorkeling "free lance" for your first few times, unless you are a very strong swimmer, and very comfortable in the water. A better process would be maybe some testing very close to shore at HMC (not at the sites mentioned on some of the other threads- those are free lance events) to get used to the mask/snorkel, or a snorkeling excursion, where you can get some instruction, and some supervision for your first couple of snorkel experiences.

Thanks CruiserBruce

Believe me, I have no intention of going anywhere other than the designated snorkel area at this point. ;) I was under the impression from another thread that there is a mad made rock wall over by the children's area that is specifically for snorkeling. Is this correct? I thought the waters might be calmer in an area that is designated for snorkeling on the island.

I'm gonna definitely "give it another go" so to speak. I was just wondering if I was not doing something correctly or if it was natural to freak out like that at first, like you cant get enough breath. Felt strange trying to breath thru a tube, trying to hold your mouth closed, ect.

Someone mentioned bringing anti-fog wipes for the masks. ?????

The water is so clear, you really don't need to put your face in...just stand and look down!

LOL That's EXACTLY what I ended up doing in Cozumel. But many others in my group were out in the water for quite awhile watching fish. Saw a baby stingray, ect. I was so jealous!! I really want to do this.

The water is so clear, you really don't need to put your face in...just stand and look down!

Now that would be me! I have tried snorkelling but I just get too freaked out and scared.

Laura

Thanks CruiserBruce

Believe me, I have no intention of going anywhere other than the designated snorkel area at this point. ;) I was under the impression from another thread that there is a mad made rock wall over by the children's area that is specifically for snorkeling. Is this correct? I thought the waters might be calmer in an area that is designated for snorkeling on the island.

I'm gonna definitely "give it another go" so to speak. I was just wondering if I was not doing something correctly or if it was natural to freak out like that at first, like you cant get enough breath. Felt strange trying to breath thru a tube, trying to hold your mouth closed, ect.

Someone mentioned bringing anti-fog wipes for the masks. ?????

No, it is not a special, man made, safe snorkel area. That is why I referred to it as free lancing.

Practice in a pool. That is how we taught our kids. You can stand and just put your head in. No waves or current. For some folks it is the fact you have to always breathe through your mouth that causes the panic. Trying to breathe through the nose gets you nothing and then the panic sets in. Also try a no splash snorkel that will not allow water to go down it. Keep trying because it is amazing!

Try practicing in a pool, or even the bathtub or a sink! I know the sensation you're talking about. The very first time I tried it I kind of hyperventilated for a few seconds until I got used to it and started breathing normally. There's just something about breathing underwater that seems so WRONG (naturally!) that it's difficult the first time!

I think almost all snorkels nowadays have the splash guard thing on them so that if water gets in it, you won't breathe it in. You can tell when water gets in it because it will make a sort of crackling/gurgling sound.

Beezle82

YEs! That's exactly right. Felt like I was walking fast while trying to breath thru a small straw. I kept telling myself to relax. That I was getting air.....but I think my natural response to what felt like minimal air was to panic.

They give you snorkels with the cabana so i doubt it has a splash guard. I have the one we bought on the ship last year. Guess ill try in the tub. Gonna feel a little foolish trying to stick my face underwater in a tub. Lol. But who's gonna see right?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

I also feel the same way. I am claustrophobic. What I do, is make sure I can stand in the water, just in case I have a panic attack. When I first put my head in the water I take long and slow breaths to keep me calm. Fortunately we have a swimming pool, so I have to practice a lot before going on a cruise, because not only am I claustrophobic, I'm not a strong swimmer and am afraid of the water. But I keep trying because it is fun (though scary for me).

I have noticed that you live in Illinois and probably don't have access to a swimming pool that allows snorkel equipment, so you would need to find another way to become comfortable with the snorkel, even if it's just wearing it around the house and not putting your face in water.

Wishing you a wonderful time cruising and snorkeling.

DH doesn't swim, so when I mentioned snorkeling in the Caribbean he was more than skeptical. We did a couple of things that made all the difference:

1. We called a dive shop and took "lessons". It was cheap, the owner spent just a few minutes showing us a few things, then let us play around in the shallow end of the pool while he taught his scuba class. Perfect.

2. Buy your own equipment. It's not really that expensive, and you can get feel secure with it. Be sure to get a DRY SNORKEL. Unlike the rental snorkels that are just a little tube, a dry snorkel has a top that will almost always stop water from coming in, so you don't have to fear getting a mouthful of water. This makes a huge difference. DH even has his own vest because he feels more secure with it.

We've had a ball snorkeling and are actually considering scuba lessons now!

DH doesn't swim, so when I mentioned snorkeling in the Caribbean he was more than skeptical. We did a couple of things that made all the difference:

1. We called a dive shop and took "lessons". It was cheap, the owner spent just a few minutes showing us a few things, then let us play around in the shallow end of the pool while he taught his scuba class. Perfect.

2. Buy your own equipment. It's not really that expensive, and you can get feel secure with it. Be sure to get a DRY SNORKEL. Unlike the rental snorkels that are just a little tube, a dry snorkel has a top that will almost always stop water from coming in, so you don't have to fear getting a mouthful of water. This makes a huge difference. DH even has his own vest because he feels more secure with it.

We've had a ball snorkeling and are actually considering scuba lessons now!

I agree. We had a couple of bad experiences so we bought our own equipment with the dry snorkel and took a beginner class in Cozumel as an excursion. Instructors were great and I felt comfortable with my own stuff and vest. Great snorkeling times ever since.

I first got certified in IL (1973) ..... there ARE dive shops around

a GOOD dive shop has a pool they can use ..... their own / YMCA / high school ....

look around ... I'll bet you can find a place to practice a bit in a pool to get comfortable.

Way back when ..... my SCUBA friends in the western 'burbs of CHI played underwater hockey just to keep our skills up. We rented HS and community pools . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_hockey

Edited by Capt_BJ

Most High schools have pools now a days. and the ones around us have open swim hours. I have used my local school to tryout my new wet suit and took my mom there to try to snorkel. Looked silly in both instances but it was a safe environment to try to get comfortable in. This will sound odd but sit on your couch and try to breath through the snorkel on dry ground first. as your able to control your breath there then try to add water. Hope you are able to get over your fear because snorkeling is so much fun. good luck

it can take some getting used to. what i suggest is start at home. while you have relaxing music on and you are lying reclined just put the snorkle in your mouth and just try it for 30 seconds to one minute. take it out and just relax, later try it again until you can do it without trouble for 30 sec to one min. once you have that down add 30 seconds and once you have that down add 30 more seconds. just keep practicing. once it comes naturally to you you can try it in the water for a short time and just repeat the above til you can do it in water for as long as you want. I love snorkling it is a whole different world down there. good luck