MSC Lirica port of call Tunis on 27 May

Travelad

Hi,

My husband and I will be on the MSC Lirica cruise departing Civitavecchia on May 23 and are looking for 2-4 people who are interested in taking a private tour in Tunis. The ship's shore excursions visit only one of the Carthage sites and only either the Medina or Sidi Abu Said. I have a feeling that they devote more time to shopping and a rug demonstration than to history and culture.

If anyone is interested in avoiding the large tour buses, I have a quote from a private tour operator for a 6 hour tour that includes Carthage sites, Sidi Abu Said and the Medina for $295.00 total. This cost can be divided up to 6 ways if there are 6 of us. That's only $49.17 per person.

Due to time constraints, we dock at 8:00AM and depart at 15:00 hours, I have asked the tour operator if we can cut the tour a little shorter, say 5 1/2 hours.

My husband and I are experienced cruisers and have only twice taken the ship's shore excursions because of the laws or extreme time constraints. We usually do all of our own touring and have toured Europe independently every year since 1983. We enjoy history and culture and our main focus of the tour would be Carthage.

Because of the time constraints the tour will probably be a little quick paced but not frenetic. Besides, look at all the time we save by not standing around waiting for 45 of our best friends to slowing exit the bus and then be hearded into a group at every stop.

We are very interested in looking for travel partners for our day in Tunis. If anyone is interested please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Katherine

Here's more information about the shore excursion that we want to take. The tour guide comes recommended by two other members of cruise critic. He is a licensed tour guide with 30 years experience and speaks 5 languages fluently including English, German and French.

We are Americans but would gladly welcome our British and European friends or anyone from anywhere who understands English. One of the reasons we cruise MSC is the opportunity to meet people from other countries and to learn from them.

We hope that someone will express interest in this 5 1/2 hour guided tour soon because I'm sure that this very good guide will get snatched up by another group in the near future. Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would prefer the giant tour bus and being herded around like cattle to a small air conditioned van with 6 total in our group. Especially when it can be less expensive than the big bus tour.

Please feel free to inquire with any questions. Cheers!

Traveled, if you really want to book this guide, do so. The chances of you finding other English speaking passengers on the same cruise as you on here are minimal, never mind wanting to do the same tour as you. You may once you get onboard find that your table companions might be interested.

At this port many, including myself have the same opinion as Wookieee, just stick to the immediate port area. Some used the fixed fare taxi services whilst others prefer the security of being on s ship's excursion. Then there are a few adventurous souls like 4 of my table companions who took the local train into town and had a great time.

You're going to be on a small ship where most passengers will have never heard of cruise critic never mind be visiting regularly.

Thank you for your replies. This explains why I've had no interest from other MSC Lirica passengers, though the two times we cruised with MSC before there were plenty of English speaking passengers.

It seems under these circumstances I should be allowed to put this out to the entire cruise community rather than just to MSC Lirica passengers. Surely there will be other cruise ships in port that day with passengers who dread the large shore excursion buses.

Why are you afraid to leave the port area? When were your there, pre or post revolution? I was hoping to hear from someone who's been there recently in my other posts but so far no one has.

Thank you for your replies. This explains why I've had no interest from other MSC Lirica passengers, though the two times we cruised with MSC before there were plenty of English speaking passengers.

It seems under these circumstances I should be allowed to put this out to the entire cruise community rather than just to MSC Lirica passengers. Surely there will be other cruise ships in port that day with passengers who dread the large shore excursion buses.

Why are you afraid to leave the port area? When were your there, pre or post revolution? I was hoping to hear from someone who's been there recently in my other posts but so far no one has.

I'm not afraid as such although there has been periods of unrest and instability. I don't like tours and it really isn't the type of place where a solo Western female can wander aimlessly without being hassled. Probably not in a truly dangerous way but most definitely in a very annoying way. It really doesn't appeal to me at all.

The first time we called there about 8 or 9 years ago I asked more than half a dozen crew members what was the best thing to do when I got in port. They unanimously tars pondweed, stay onboard. I've since listened to table companions moan about hassle at markets re the years.

I dare say it is different if you are on an organised tours with others