Geocaching; An Enviroment Friend Shore Excursion

Geocachi

Geocaching while on a cruise is a wonderful way to create your own "shore excursions" that fun and interesting. When we cruise we look for geocaches in the ports visit. We walk as much as possible. It's not only great excercise, but it allows you to get off the beaten path and way from the tourist traps. We've been to places and seen things "regular" cruisers did not. Geocaching is a low environmental activity, in fact Geocachers are encouraged to practice CITO (Cache In Trash Out).

To learn more about Geocaching Google "Cruise Caching" or "Geocaching Cruises".

What a great idea.

We don't have children, but our friends do it as a family. On a cruise this would be fun.

Thanks

You don't have to have children to enjoy geocaching. My kids are grown. I go by myself and sometimes I bring (drag) my wife along. This is also a great activity for "retired" couples. It's a wonderful way to be active and explore new places. Many Grandparents bring their Grandchildren, it's a great "bonding" activity. I'm looking forward to the day I can bring my grandchildren with me and enjoy their excitement as the find the cache and open it see what treasure are inside.

There are some web sites that specilize in combining cruising with geocaching. If you search "cruise caching" I'm sure you'll find them, if interested.

• 2 weeks later...
Geocaching while on a cruise is a wonderful way to create your own "shore excursions" that fun and interesting. When we cruise we look for geocaches in the ports visit. We walk as much as possible. It's not only great excercise, but it allows you to get off the beaten path and way from the tourist traps. We've been to places and seen things "regular" cruisers did not. Geocaching is a low environmental activity, in fact Geocachers are encouraged to practice CITO (Cache In Trash Out).

To learn more about Geocaching Google "Cruise Caching" or "Geocaching Cruises".

Thanks for these google keywords- found several more geocache sites that I did not know about! Am hooked on geocaching; hope others catch "the (travel) bug". We are booked on a daysail/snorkel trip for our port stop of St Thomas US Virgin Islands and the Captain we booked with (Captain Omar from Interlinesail) knew all about geocaching. He offered to help us locate one after we finish snorkeling. Said he has had so many people wanting to find the caches that he was going to add some info on it to his website. Can't wait to sail, snorkel and then we're off on our hunt! Will have to post here when I get back to let everyone know if we found the cache.

• 1 month later...

I first found out about grocaching from a friend who has a GPS in his car. I do not know how to drive and I dont have a car, but I do find my way around. Are ther portable GPS syatems you can use to find these caches? Or is there another way you find them?

Archived