Ushuaia cruise port - access to the ship ??

rojaan19

We are on the Silver Explorer in March '17. We are planning to stay in Ushuaia for 3 days pre cruise.

We have just had notification from Silverseas via our TA that -

"We now have some important information to share with you regarding the port of Ushuaia.

Since Ushuaia is a busy, working port, guests will not be able to access the pier independently, whether in taxis or private vehicles.

Pre-cruise options

*Group transfer from Arakur Resort Ushuaia (pre-cruise hotel) to Ushuaia port AUD49.00 per person (guests to make their own way to meeting point hotel around lunch time – exact time to be advised)"

There was nothing on the Silverseas website cruise voyage details about this mandatory transfer or that there was a pre cruise hotel option.

I am a bit miffed that they want to charge us $ AU 100 to bus us two and a half miles !

So have other Explorer passengers had this happen in Ushuaia ? That you could not access the ship independently ?

thanks

In February 2012 we cruised Antarctica then Chilean fjords back-to-back on Explorer with a day in between in Ushuaia. On our free day we had no problems leaving the wharf to meet our (privately arranged tour) guide nor accessing the wharf on foot to return to the ship. We carried our passports but I can't recall anyone examining them.

The previous afternoon, when we returned from Antarctica most of the passengers strolled a few blocks from the ship to the centre of Ushuaia and back to the Explorer without problems.

Conditions may have changed in the past four years, Argentinian migration rules may be more stringent, Silversea may now be using a more commercial wharf .............. but your communication does sound unreasonable and ridiculously expensive.

Harking back to 2012, at the request of the other back-to-back cruisers, Silversea had its Ushuaia agents arrange a small van tour on the "free" day. It cost more than twice what we paid for the same tour in a comfortable car.

I hope someone with more recent experience can help. There is a thread in the Silver Explorer roll calls from pax on the Valparaiso-Ushuaia cruise in November 2016.

We expect to be on Explorer next month, if I learn any thing about Ushuaia port, I'll let you know.

There requirement for you to use their transfer seems very stringent to me. But not surprised. They don't like it when you go off piste, as George and I are often prone to do. Sort of like their required transfer flights in the Galapagos and Arctic. Sometimes I go along with the flow, but other times I revolt as I am perfectly capable of making it to the ship on time, as I know you are as well.

You are in town for three days. Plenty of time to determine if you need to buy into this scheme. Having been there twice, I don't believe it for a second.

I think you received the correct answer on your trip advisor inquiry. The second response was by a clueless individual.

Thanks for the replies so far.

When I got the email from our TA I told her " very funny - its not the 1st April !"

So she has checked again with SS and the reply from Silverseas Sydney =

"Silversea advised that the Ushuaia port authority has implemented a new policy that individuals are unable to access the pier independently whether they are in taxis or private vehicles. Therefore Silversea has now organised a scheduled coach which is in addition to their cruise program, the cost of this is AUD49.00 per person and everyone going through Ushuaia port must pay this or purchase a package that includes this transfer.

This is Silverseas policy, and will be added to your booking."

Naturally the Silverseas website does not contain any of this information on our cruise listing :rolleyes:

When I got the email from our TA I told her " very funny - its not the 1st April !"

So she has checked again with SS and the reply from Silverseas Sydney =

"Silversea advised that the Ushuaia port authority has implemented a new policy that individuals are unable to access the pier independently whether they are in taxis or private vehicles. Therefore Silversea has now organised a scheduled coach which is in addition to their cruise program, the cost of this is AUD49.00 per person and everyone going through Ushuaia port must pay this or purchase a package that includes this transfer.

This is Silverseas policy, and will be added to your booking."

Love the April Fools reference. Hilarious!

Interesting to see this new requirement. Maybe ISIS worries have reached the end of the earth now too? Who knows. I guess we won't be able to schedule an independent private tour in the fall of '17 when we reach the port on the Muse based on this info.

No worries Stumblefoot.Although I cant find any official notice of any security changes 3 of the companies running cruises out of Ushuaia comment on new regulations.One is Ponant but their cruise prices have always been joining the group in Buenos Airies,flying to USH and transport to ship.One other company states you must use their shuttle to the ship but charge $US20 each.

The third company though says the new arrangements mean that taxis or private cars are not allowed on the wharf and that passengers are not allowed access more than 3 hours before departure but advise that you need a copy of your ticket,proof of payment of the Argentinian reciprocity fee if required and your passport.Your bags will be xrayed there and then you will have to walk to your ship.

So when on the Muse if you do a Silverseas tour there would be no problem but if a private tour you will probably have to walk to and from the wharf entrance.

So when on the Muse if you do a Silverseas tour there would be no problem but if a private tour you will probably have to walk to and from the wharf entrance.

Good to know. I can always use a good walk when cruising on Silversea due to all of that salt filled air shrinking my clothes. [emoji54]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk