Thinking of booking our first SS cruise

CCKelly

We are thinking of booking our first Silversea cruise on Silver Wind for September of next year. One of her itineraries has really caught my interest. I have a few questions that I am hoping some of you can help out with. First of all, do there seem to be any noise issues (or other issues) with the suites on Level 4 (Vista suites). It looks like they are under Level 5 cabins, but I can't tell what is below (obviously not passenger areas).

Also, question about Le Champagne that is not totally clear to me: the current charge is $40 per person, does that include wines? Just to clarify, the typical wines served on Regent, Seabourn, Crystal, etc. are usually OK with us, we are not too picky about that.

Is there a self-serve laundry on the Wind? Level 4 deck plan shows a launderette, but I am not sure if that is for passengers to use on their own.

How is entertainment at night? We have been on small ships previously so not expecting Crystal type entertainment but we do like to see a show or singer after dinner so hoping there is something enjoyable in that regard.

Thanks for your help

Deck 3 is crew cabins, so no noise problem unless you are near the bow when the anchor noise may annoy.

In Le Champagne the $40 charge does include wines.

There is a launderette on deck 4 for passenger use. Two washing machines, 2 tumble driers and an ironing board an iron, free to use with washing powder provided.

Entertainment is low key, typically a show by the eight entertainers. It is usually at 10.00pm. There are guest entertainers on some nights. Solo piano or violin for example and most are excellent. There are also occasional comedy turns. Varied and interesting and your expectations are correct. There is a quartet who play in the Panorama Lounge before dinner, on deck during the day and to accompany soloists. Also a piano/singer who plays in the bar before and after dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've spent many, many happy days aboard the Wind in various Vista suites and noise has not been a problem. Yes, of course you'll hear the bow thrusters when docking and the anchor when anchoring but that's part of being afloat, to my mind - it's just a wake up call that we've arrived somewhere new. And it doesn't last long.

And being close to the laundrette is soooo convenient - just pop out of your cabin and you're there. I seem to recall that there are actually four washers and driers - they are the unnecessarily complicated European sort but they can be deciphered.

We are thinking of booking our first Silversea cruise on Silver Wind for September of next year. One of her itineraries has really caught my interest. Is there a self-serve laundry on the Wind? How is entertainment at night? We have been on small ships previously so not expecting Crystal type entertainment but we do like to see a show or singer after dinner so hoping there is something enjoyable in that regard.

You have received some excellent background information from 57 varieties. While we have not been on Silver Wind, we have completed four cruises on its sister-ship, the Silver Cloud.

As my live/blog details, we did 26 days on this ship 18 months ago, plus ten days on the Cloud earlier this year. Yes, the self-serve laundry is there and available on these ships. For entertainment, we have liked the offerings and mix provided on these ship. During the cruise, you can meet and interact with the six singers/dancer. Below are some items of "photo evidence" about them and the program that they provide. It's not Broadway and/or London's West End, but we enjoyed the shows and other programs offered. And, these programs are about 45-50 minutes, a nice timing when you need to get up the next morning for tours and other activities.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 40,775 views for these postings.

My pictures do not do a fraction of the justice deserved for the great performance by Hyperion Knight and one of the singers from the "Voices of Silversea". It was a magical night of music and learning so much more about Frédéric Chopin, his music, style and life. Plus, a number of other nice pop selections were weaved into the total stage program. So much, so well done in just about one hour before our dinner.:

SCSeaDaysA4_zpslsyujfis.jpg

SCSeaDaysA6_zpsqoxtenkd.jpg

Here is one of my visual samples for the varied costumes and the stage setting as these singing voices did some Latin-style favorites. Nice and up-beat program and the crowd like the performance package.:

DutchABCsA5_zpskyzfpski.jpg

Here is a one visual sampling for the excellent evening classical music program during our 2016 South Africa Silver Cloud sailing with the great costumes, sets and smooth voices. This is one of their best programs and it was done very well.:

Africa2016PixsA8_zpsirhamyfq.jpg

Also a piano/singer who plays in the bar before and after dinner. /QUOTE]

Not necessarily performing same song at same time.

I pack my own laundry supplies, but prefer the SS self serve laundry to the others. Have not been in Regent.

The Wind will be a good experience. 57 varieties provided accurate info.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I believe I will be calling our travel agent tomorrow! The SS Wind sounds pretty much as I expected which I think will be a good fit for us. There have been some rather poor reviews on the Review section of CC, but I try to take some of those with a grain of salt. It sounds like many of you still enjoy the smaller (and older) SS ships Wind and Cloud and SS does seem to have some really nice and slightly different itineraries.

It sounds like many of you still enjoy the smaller (and older) SS ships Wind and Cloud and SS does seem to have some really nice and slightly different itineraries.

Yes, you have summarized well that a key plus and factor with Silversea are their itineraries that reach some different and interesting locations. There are newer, larger and more fancy ships, but their combination of good ships, great staff and special ports makes a strongly positive difference. That has been our experience and motivation. Let us know any added questions, info needs, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 201,496 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923