Bay of Fundy

denatravels

I am visiting Saint John in August. I found the website that gives the tide times. The ship docks from just past noon until just past midnight.

Do I go AT high tide, AT low tide, or somewhere in the middle?

Will you be going to Hopewell rocks ?

Not to throw cold water on anyone's plans, the much ballyhooed Reversing Falls, unless timed perfectly, is really not that big a deal.

Personally, I would put a lot more effort into other things.

as was asked, if you go out to the Rocks, and you get there at low tide, you can walk on the ocean floor among these amazing Rocks. really a wonderful experience.

Cheers

Len

Not to throw cold water on anyone's plans, the much ballyhooed Reversing Falls, unless timed perfectly, is really not that big a deal.

Personally, I would put a lot more effort into other things.

as was asked, if you go out to the Rocks, and you get there at low tide, you can walk on the ocean floor among these amazing Rocks. really a wonderful experience.

Cheers

Len

I DO appreciate you telling me about the rocks-- I will certainly check that out! My original question was exactly what you alluded to "if you time it perfectly..." I'm looking for that point as to when I will see something worth seeing. What does "time it perfectly" mean: high tide, low tide, or somewhere in between?

I DO appreciate you telling me about the rocks-- I will certainly check that out! My original question was exactly what you alluded to "if you time it perfectly..." I'm looking for that point as to when I will see something worth seeing. What does "time it perfectly" mean: high tide, low tide, or somewhere in between?

IMO, low tide is the most interesting. You can go to some semi-caves only at that time. Interesting to see the lobster boats so much below dock level also.

For the reversing falls (I agree they are not that big a deal) you have to be there when the tide is changing so they reverse their direction.

We did the Reversing falls jet boat ride a few years ago that was some what exciting. got totally soaked.

As Maryanne said, to time it right is basically just at the time when the river goes from flowing one way and then reverses itself and flows the other way. We made a stop there and all we saw was water flowing in one direction and a guide telling us about what happens when it reverses. Pretty poor timing and a wasted of that time spent going there and watching.

Not to change the subject, but it is similar to Thunder Rock in Acadia National park. There is a space between huge rocks, that when timed perfectly, the tides come in and the force of the water thru these rocks, makes sounds like thunder with water splashing everywhere. But get there 1/2 hour early or later and all you see are some waves crashing onto some rocks.

Anyway, try for the walk at low tide. It is something you will not forget.

Cheers

Len

For Hopewell Rocks, you want low tide (tide schedule for Alma, not Saint John)

For St. Martin's caves, you want low tide

I've heard for both of these the best time range is about four hours, two before low tide and two after.

As for the Reversing Falls, this link explains it best: http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Products/R/Reversing-Rapids.aspx

And the second comment to this question from Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154960-i1508-k1331106-Best_time_to_view_Reversing_Falls-Saint_John_New_Brunswick.html

Edited by Paraveina