Port of OBAN, Scotland

This is a Maiden call for Crystal Symphony. I am looking at a website:

http://www.obantours.com/

and they have a bus tour for $19 for 2-1/2 Hours. It starts at Oban Railway Station. How do I get to the Oban Railway Station from the Port? I have sent e-mails as well as called their 800 phone but cannot get any information. :eek:

What else is there to do here in Oban?

Thanks for your help.

Well Di,

We're spending 4 days in Oban in August. I don't know when you're in Oban but the Argyllshire Highland games are the 29th and there are music and dancing events preceding the "Games." Two other easy DIYs are the Oban Distillery tour (Rick Steve's says its better than anything in Edinburgh) and McCaigs Tower (mostly for views). Depending on your interest you can take a Ferry over to Kerrera Island (5 min ferry on the half hour) and stroll around there (nothing stunning; but supposed to be pretty if the weather cooperates). If you take the ferry at the North Pier to Kerrera and have a pint at the Waypoint Bar, the ferry is no additional charge. There are day trips to the Isle of Mull and Iona (because of scheduling you might want to do this as a ships tour if its offered as timing might be tight). If you are the museum type there is a War and Peace Museum there sort of behind the post office. You could stop by on way to or from McCaigs Tower. If you'd like the Oban Fish and Chips Shop is between the harbor and the Distillery and a place called the Shellfish Shack is right next to the train station which is next to the big Ferry Terminal. Hope that helps.

Thanks, GD,

I have started researching those places. I have done the Edinburgh games a couple of years ago. I wanted the Crystal Castle Tour but I am number 41 on the waitlist. Already, 150 pax are signed up for it. It sounds like a lovely little town and should be very relaxing. The Islands interest me also.

I wish you a wonderful visit there.

Donna

I will be in Oban from 9 AM to 4 PM on Saturday 23 August. Maybe you will be there on the same day?

You were in the US Navy? Thank you for your service and Happy 4th of July! For 20 years, I was an AZ1 (USNR-R).

On Friday 22 August, I will be in Glasgow (Greenock) from 9 AM to 11 PM. :eek:

We don't arrive in Oban until the afternoon of 25th:( I'm was in the Marines and my wife is a retired Navy Reservist (Occupational Therapist, don't know the MOS for that). We'll be in Edinburgh the 22nd and attending the Tattoo on the 23rd then doing a self-driving tour of Scotland and England before picking up the Silver Whisper in Southampton on 9 Sept. cruising to Montreal.

You might find some of these helpful:

http://www.obangames.com/index.php

http://www.duriehill.co.uk/oban-district-links.htm

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/inverness?month=8&year=2014

http://www.traveling-savage.com/2011/02/07/planning-trip-scotland-part-1-when-go/

http://www.visitscotland.com/en-us/destinations-maps/

I have some additional information on Ireland (Cobh, Dublin and Belfast) if your cruise is going there.

Hope you have a great trip and BEAT ARMY!

Greg

How do I get to the Oban Railway Station from the Port?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Oban+War+%26+Peace+Museum/@56.4141313,-5.4735224,492m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4889670aff63aeb1:0x3edb6c3df7ed3c87

This map shows the esplanade area in Oban. The ships' tenders land at the jetty near to the 'Oban War & Peace Museum' and you can see the railway station at the other side of the bay.

George Street is part of the main shopping street.

Thank you, Greg, for all the links. I shall look at all of them because half the fun of the trip is in the Research.

Marines are the Nicest, most gentlemanly people in the whole world. When I had Guard Duty on Coronado Island (doing my annual 2 weeks active duty), I picked the tallest, blackest Marine to be my partner.

I, too, was "Just a Reservist." (A No-No to say that!)

Aviation Maintenance Administrationman First Class, we kept the Logs & Records on the aircraft maintenance (working with the Supply Department). I was in RESPATWINGSPAT at Coronado and Point Mugu, where I retired. That was a good extra job while working at Lockheed.

Your trip sounds very exciting.

After 37 Princess Cruises, I have moved up to the Crystal Symphony, (7 days) sailing from Dover on 17 August, 2 ports in Wales, 2 ports in Scotland, Waterford, Guernsey, Liverpool, and disembarking in Dublin to stay for 7 days to travel by bus & train in Ireland. I would really appreciate your sending me your research:

donnaiworldtravel@gmail.com

Got it, Greg. A big thanks to you and your friend. Having worked in Publications at Lockheed for 37 years (technical manuals and marketing pubs), I am rather fanatical about publications and your friend has done a fantastic job putting this together and I am sharing it with the 3 couples sailing with me that I met here at CC.

"Half the fun of the trip is in the research" -- so true!

Speaking of "research" I was perusing a book called "Scotland for Dummies" for our upcoming trip. In the section called "Ten Top Pubs in Scotland" it listed the Oban Inn!

This classic whitewashed pub near the water is popular for serving an excellent range of fine whiskies. The crowds are always friendly, and the service usually comes with a smile.

The pub has a warm, old fashioned elegance. The upstairs bar is a little quieter; but, the downstairs room, with flags and exposed wooden beams, is a better place to meet people.

Stafford Street, Oban.

FWIW there is also a bit of a warning about McTavish's Kitchen which gets a good deal of publicity.

Yes, it's by the water, and yes, it does have live Scotish dancing and music, but that's as good as it gets; and that's not even that great. The food is rather dull and cooked with little enthusiasm.

This place is rated as kid friendly though so if you're traveling with young ones it might still meet your needs.

One other place recommended for a Pub 'N' Grub experience is Coasters on Corran Esplanade. A smallish place that seems to be a bit of a sports pub.

During the day the pub is peopled with locals who come for the good grub. The menu also has kiddie meals.

Coasters is also rated as Kid Friendly.

For shopping :mad: Dummies mentions Caithness Glass on the Railway Pier for unique mementos and Chalmers on George Street for "just the kind of Scottish gifts you're obliged to take home."

I do NOT vouch for any of these recommendations:rolleyes:; just thought the descriptions were detailed enough to be of interest.:)

Greg

Hi, Greg,

I just bought San Francisco for Dummies for my GranDaughter at UC Davis because it was 40% off at the travel store in Pasadena (Distant Lands). I may need to get Scotland for Dummies. ;)

I have about 4 different books on Ireland, including Rick Steves.

Donna

Hi, Greg,

I just bought San Francisco for Dummies for my GranDaughter at UC Davis because it was 40% off at the travel store in Pasadena (Distant Lands). I may need to get Scotland for Dummies. ;)

I have about 4 different books on Ireland, including Rick Steves.

Donna

England for Dummies is particularly good, and it is written with a wry slant.

Goodness knows how anyone can keep up with the history. I'm glad I didn't have to take a test after reading it.

England for Dummies is particularly good, and it is written with a wry slant.

Goodness knows how anyone can keep up with the history. I'm glad I didn't have to take a test after reading it.

Correction: BRITISH HISTORY FOR DUMMIES is the wry-slant book I read, not England for Dummies.

Dummy being the operative word here.

Edited by TravelKnitter

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of "research" I was perusing a book called "Scotland for Dummies" for our upcoming trip. In the section called "Ten Top Pubs in Scotland" it listed the Oban Inn!

This classic whitewashed pub near the water is popular for serving an excellent range of fine whiskies. The crowds are always friendly, and the service usually comes with a smile.

The pub has a warm, old fashioned elegance. The upstairs bar is a little quieter; but, the downstairs room, with flags and exposed wooden beams, is a better place to meet people.

Stafford Street, Oban.

FWIW there is also a bit of a warning about McTavish's Kitchen which gets a good deal of publicity.

Yes, it's by the water, and yes, it does have live Scotish dancing and music, but that's as good as it gets; and that's not even that great. The food is rather dull and cooked with little enthusiasm.

This place is rated as kid friendly though so if you're traveling with young ones it might still meet your needs.

One other place recommended for a Pub 'N' Grub experience is Coasters on Corran Esplanade. A smallish place that seems to be a bit of a sports pub.

During the day the pub is peopled with locals who come for the good grub. The menu also has kiddie meals.

Coasters is also rated as Kid Friendly.

For shopping :mad: Dummies mentions Caithness Glass on the Railway Pier for unique mementos and Chalmers on George Street for "just the kind of Scottish gifts you're obliged to take home."

I do NOT vouch for any of these recommendations:rolleyes:; just thought the descriptions were detailed enough to be of interest.:)

Check the date of the publication :D

Check the date of the publication :D

2011 for Scotland for Dummies

and

2014 for Rick Steves' UK book

If food and drink establishments in Scotland open and close as frequently as they do here in rural Arizona these places could have changed hands 3 or 4 times since 2011.