BA, UK Strikes Coming?

It was bad and ugly in Greece last week with the strikes and demonstrations. Will it spread to the UK in the coming weeks and/or affect us in late June and mid-July as we pass through Heathrow and London??? Reactions from those there about how likely these things will be there? My sense and hope is that the "worst" is over for Athens with their strikes and demonstrations. Below are a couple of articles today on these potentials.

From Travel Weekly, they have this headline: "New BA strikes could hit May half term" with these highlights: "BA cabin crew could go on strike over the school half term holiday following the overwhelming rejection of the airline’s latest peace offering. Following the result of a ballot last week by trade union Unite, in which 82% of members rejected the deal, any further industrial action must happen by June 6. Unite is due to announce its plans today with reports suggesting members favour four five-day walk outs with one non-strike day in between to cause maximum disruption to BA’s contingency plans."

From the BBC, they have this headline: "British Airways staff to meet union over strike ballot" with these highlights: "Members of union Unite voted by 81% - on a turnout of 71% - to reject BA's proposals, in a year-long row."

From the Daily Mail in London, they have this headline about potential affects in other countries across Europe: "Unions warn of Greek-style riots in Britain against public sector cuts after court victory over capping of redundancies" with these highlights: "Militant unions today sent a chilling warning of Greek-style strikes and protests after winning a major legal victory for civil servants made redundant. The warning raises fears of months of chaos triggered by a furious public sector who refuse to accept painful changes to tackle Britain's financial crisis. With one in five workers employed by the State, the scale of the crisis could be crippling with unions warning of a 'tidal wave' of strike action."

You can see the full stories at:

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2010/05/10/33684/new-ba-strikes-could-hit-may-half-term.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8671036.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/election/article-1276386/Labour-left-warns-Greek-style-riots-public-sector-cuts-court-win-capping-redundancies.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Terry in Ohio

The Unions are just trying to scare people,we behave differently to the Greeks,we moan but we don't usually smash the place up. Thanks Terry,keep up the negative postings.:)

THANKS, Lord! Glad to get the "REST OF THE STORY". That's why I asked. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Ignore anything about civil unrest, that's just tabloid sensationalism which that particular newspaper is well known for.

Re the BA strike thing, which as you probably know has been brewing for several months (nothing to do with the election situation) the union announced today that BA cabin crew are planning 4 separate 5 day strikes, the first next week from 18th - 22nd May and the others commencing on 24th May, 30th May and 5th June. BA says they are planning contingency measures.

BA says they are planning contingency measures.
They'll be very similar to last time, when BA operated something like 80% of its longhaul flights notwithstanding the strike.

All flights to/from London Gatwick will be unaffected.

All flights to/from London City Airport will be unaffected.

An announcement is expected this afternoon (Tuesday) about the plans for Heathrow.

They'll be very similar to last time, when BA operated something like 80% of its longhaul flights notwithstanding the strike.

All flights to/from London Gatwick will be unaffected.

All flights to/from London City Airport will be unaffected.

An announcement is expected this afternoon (Tuesday) about the plans for Heathrow.

As always, great info and background from Globaliser.

From the Business Week/Bloomberg News within the past hour, they have this headline: "British Airways Weighs Compromise Versus Strike Costs" with these highlights: "British Airways Plc Chief Executive Officer Willie Walsh must decide whether to stand his ground against cabin crew workers and ride out a strike that may cost the equivalent of 75 percent of projected annual profit. The Unite union, which yesterday called four five-day walkouts starting May 18, says the carrier must reinstate free travel and take back fired workers to win consideration for a pay plan that’s “an improvement” on previous offers. The British Airline Pilots’ Association said yesterday that it would work normally through any strike. "

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-11/british-airways-weighs-compromise-versus-strike-costs-update1-.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

... ride out a strike that may cost the equivalent of 75 percent of projected annual profit.
That's strictly a scribblers' guess! What is much more certain is that on 21 May, BA will announce a stonking full year loss for the year ending 31 March 2010.

Another thing to put into perspective, what the article says:-

The strike may cost 150 million pounds ($223 million), including business lost on the single days between walkouts, based on the 45 million-pound expense of seven days of stoppages in March. Analysts estimates are for a 205 million-pound operating profit in the fiscal year that began April 1.
What is at stake is structural reform at BA, where the company is looking for a long-term saving in excess of £150 million per annum from cabin crew. If it costs the company £150 million this year to achieve that, then so be it.

That's just from cabin crew. All of the savings already negotiated with and agreed by the other work groups are conditional on an agreement with cabin crew as well. And in large part it is possible for the company to operate so many flights during the strike because so many people from those other work groups are volunteering to help break the strike and keep the airline flying. That tells you a lot about what the rest of the company think of the minority of senior cabin crew fat cats who have fomented this unrest and who have been leading their members in a demented charge over the edge of the cliff.

We are suppose to fly out of Houston on May 24.

This is posted on BA site

For flights operating to and from London Heathrow between 24 and 29 May we plan to announce our flying schedule for:

• longhaul flights on the afternoon of Wednesday 19 May
  • shorthaul flights on the afternoon of Thursday 20 May

WE won't know until the 19th if we are leaving on the 24th. Our return flight is also ion this mess.

We were due to fly with BA LHR to Barcelona at the end of May and decided that with strikes and volcanos that it wasn't worth the risk of missing a cruise we've looked forward to all year.

We've now managed to book trains both ways - I got the impression that Eurostar tickets are selling out rapidly (several trains already fully booked).

I'd rather lose a few hundred on the air fares than a couple of thousand on the cruise!

First I have to worry about the volcano, then I have to worry about BA strike, I am so depressed! Been planning my 30th anniversary w/Husband and 5 adult kids. booked suites on rccl for may 29 splendour. We are flying May 25 out of jfk to lhr and then on may26 to venice. so I have one long haul and one short haul! Keeping my fingers crossed!

jean

First I have to worry about the volcano, then I have to worry about BA strike, I am so depressed! Been planning my 30th anniversary w/Husband and 5 adult kids. booked suites on rccl for may 29 splendour. We are flying May 25 out of jfk to lhr and then on may26 to venice. so I have one long haul and one short haul! Keeping my fingers crossed!

jean

Luckily my flights are outside the strike date but I did some research before the dates where announced. I was most worried about my Venice flight. I found out there is only one flight a day to Venice from Heathrow but there are 8 to Milan and 6 to Rome. If your flight to Venice gets canceled and they can't rebook you for days ask to be put on a flight to either Milan or Rome you will have a much better shot. Then once there take the train. Both have trains leaving at least once an hour for Venice between 8 am and 5pm. Milan is about a 2 hr train ride and Rome a 3 hr train ride.

If you JFK flight is canceled check out the American flights leaving from JFK. They are a codeshare with BA and ask if you can be put on one of those.

Good Luck and I hope you have a great time!

thanks for info, our fight from london to venice is from gatwick to venice the ba site said that flight from gatwick will not be cancelled. But like you said there may be a good chance of jfk to lhr, so I will see what AA has that night.

jean

From the Financial Times in London, they have this headline today: "BA and Unite square up for strike" with these highlights and analysis: "Doubts about the strategy of both British Airways and the Unite union began to emerge yesterday as the two sides squared up for the 20-day strike the airline's cabin crew have threatened from next Tuesday. In the City of London, where Willie Walsh, BA's chief executive, has enjoyed broad support during the dispute, the prospect of a third period of walk-outs within two months has led to signs of disquiet. Industry analysts told the Financial Times the length of the threatened stoppages, and concern about how long it would take to restore relations between management and staff, were beginning to provoke what one described as 'misgivings'."

Now with the new UK Prime Minister decided, kind of, with their new "coalition" government, there could still be some jockeying back and forth in these negotiations. What do our London experts guess on how this all plays out?

Later in the story, it notes: "But it is clear that both the BA chief and his counterparts at Unite are about to enter the most difficult phase of a dispute that has lasted more than a year. The union has urged BA to reopen talks. The airline said yesterday it was 'available" but "nothing was planned'."

The full story is at:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4645d0ac-5d5e-11df-8373-00144feab49a.html

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Now with the new UK Prime Minister decided, kind of, with their new "coalition" government, there could still be some jockeying back and forth in these negotiations. What do our London experts guess on how this all plays out?
I don't think that the new government will touch this with a bargepole. They have rather more important things to get on with at the moment than to deal with a strike that will, at worst, hamper the airline's flying schedule. We are not talking about something that will shut down BA.

steveh,

I also looked into train tkts, but since we are in the us, I would have to also purchase additional air line tkts, which would be too much money as there are 7 of us. I will have to wait till may 18 to find out about ba flight, then check flying with another airline into madrid, or milan or barcelona, then book train tkts. by that time it is only 6 days before, airfares will be too much to get to europe and then rail tkts will be sold out! I just wish we could be told now rather than waiting till 5/18 when I am supposed to leave on 5/25.

jean

I don't think that the new government will touch this with a bargepole. They have rather more important things to get on with at the moment than to deal with a strike that will, at worst, hamper the airline's flying schedule. We are not talking about something that will shut down BA.

THANKS, Globaliser! I not only "hope" with my heart that your summary is correct, but my brain and the various readings say that you are totally on point with your conclusions. Our BA flights are not until June 29 and July 16, so we have time to see how these things work and play out. If the now-gone Labor government would not help the BA unions versus management, this new PM is even less likely to mess around in this battle. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

based on that info, they are operating all their flights from JFK to LHR between may 18-23. I don't know whether to relax or get more worried. I fly out May 24, so wondering if they will select that route to disrupt in the 2nd wave of cancellations or relax as that is one of the routes that they will try and keep up and going. Any experience out there from the last strke did they change the affected routes in subsequent waves.

jean

based on that info, they are operating all their flights from JFK to LHR between may 18-23.
I'm not sure where you are getting that from. The website says to me that from 18 May to 23 May BA is operating this many flights:-

Heathrow to NYC

18 May JFK operating 3 out of 6; EWR operating 2 out of 2

19 May JFK operating 4 out of 6; EWR operating 2 out of 3

20 May JFK operating 3 out of 6; EWR operating 2 out of 3

21 May JFK operating 4 out of 6; EWR operating 2 out of 3

22 May JFK operating 4 out of 6; EWR operating 2 out of 3

23 May JFK operating 3 out of 6; EWR operating 2 out of 3

NYC to Heathrow

18 May JFK operating 6 out of 6; EWR operating 2 out of 2

19 May JFK operating 4 out of 6; EWR operating 3 out of 3

20 May JFK operating 5 out of 6; EWR operating 2 out of 3

21 May JFK operating 4 out of 6; EWR operating 2 out of 3

22 May JFK operating 4 out of 6; EWR operating 2 out of 3

23 May JFK operating 3 out of 4; EWR operating 1 out of 1

(I think that the 23 May NYC to Heathrow information is incomplete.)

I think it's clear that there will be some NYC to Heathrow flights. It's one of BA's most important long-haul routes (if not the most important), so even if your flight is cancelled it will just be a case of asking to go onto some other flight. There are so many JFK-Heathrow flights every day between all airlines that I think you'd be unlucky to find that there is no space at all. And even then, don't forget to ask about a Newark flight.

Excellent details and updates from Globaliser. From the Financial Times in the last three hours, they have this headline: "BA draws up plan to defy strike" with these highlights: "British Airways is to mount a complex contingency plan to limit the effect of a five-day cabin crew strike but tens of thousands of passengers are still likely to be unable to fly each day. The airline plans to fly more than 60,000 passengers each day – more than 70 per cent of its customers – but about 40 per cent of its long-haul flights and 50 per cent of short-haul flights from Heathrow airport will be cancelled. BA plans to lease up to eight aircraft with pilots and cabin crew from five different airlines in the UK and Europe to help cope with the first of four five-day strikes due to begin on Tuesday. The carrier has also struck deals with more than 50 rival airlines to fill any spare seats with passengers from cancelled BA flights. It has opened an extra call centre staffed by volunteers to help passengers with rebooking and refunds."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f6469298-5eb2-11df-af86-00144feab49a.html

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Our flight Dulles/Heathrow for 22May has been cancelled but we were able to rebook to JFK/Heathrow. We didn't get an email or any notification yet, but our daughter was watching the BA website and caught it early this morning. SO keep checking daily to catch any change as early as possible. Now all we have to worry about is the volcano!

Shorthaul schedules for the first strike period are now confirmed.

Perhaps most importantly for cruise passengers, 4 out of 7 Heathrow to Barcelona flights are operating every day, and all of the Heathrow to Venice flights are operating.

Shorthaul schedules for the first strike period are now confirmed. Perhaps most importantly for cruise passengers, 4 out of 7 Heathrow to Barcelona flights are operating every day, and all of the Heathrow to Venice flights are operating.

Good news and update. THANKS!

From the Guardian in London today, they have this headline: "BA strike: pilots appeal to government to prevent more action by cabin crew. Airline claims volunteer stand-ins improved passenger satisfaction during last Unite strike" with these highlights: "British Airways today claimed volunteer cabin crew who stood in for strikers in March helped raise satisfaction among passengers, as pilots appealed to the government to prevent more strikes next week and end 'tired 1970s-style industrial relations'. The British Airline Pilots Association (Balpa) said 'Cameron/Clegg magic' was needed to help save a great airline. It called on ministers to intervene, as members at BA said unprecedented action by cabin crew members in the Unite union threatened the jobs and working conditions of all BA workers. BA plans to operate most of Heathrow flights when the first of four five-day strikes begins on Tuesday and says Gatwick and London City airports will not be affected by the industrial action."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/14/ba-strike-pilots-appeal

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived