Best Dining Time for Alaskan Cruise ???

GrandCanyon2005

We like to eat our meals at 6:00, and like the traditional seating and getting to know your waiters. There are only two port excursions this interferes with: Skagway (departure is at 8:30) and Ketchikan (departure is at 6:00). Two questions:

First, should we change our dining time to the later hour just for Skagway and/or Ketchikan?

Second, our Hubbard and Glacier Bay cruise has us leaving at 8:00 and 7:30, respectively. Am I crazy for wanting to do the Ultimate Balcony Dining on these days (around 6:00) as we cruise out ... will we freeze our tooshies off?

Well, we're planning on doing Ultimate Balcony Dinner too. I've read that you can have it inside your room if the weather is too dreary, so we're going to go for it. We figure if it's too yucky out, we still can see Alaska through the window!

We like to eat our meals at 6:00, and like the traditional seating and getting to know your waiters. There are only two port excursions this interferes with: Skagway (departure is at 8:30) and Ketchikan (departure is at 6:00). Two questions:

First, should we change our dining time to the later hour just for Skagway and/or Ketchikan?

We like Anytime Dining so we are not tied down to a specific time.

Second, our Hubbard and Glacier Bay cruise has us leaving at 8:00 and 7:30, respectively. Am I crazy for wanting to do the Ultimate Balcony Dining on these days (around 6:00) as we cruise out ... will we freeze our tooshies off?

We did the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast in Tracy Arm back in 2009, but that was an exceptionally warm week, where it was in the 80s in ports. It can certainly be done if you get lucky with the weather, but you might have to wait until you are on board and see what your weather is like.

At home we like to eat around 6-6:30 pm. But, on a cruise we always ask for the later seating. This would be especially true in Alaska--where you are in a different port almost everday. Even if you leave port or return from the excursion before the meal time you need to include the time to get back to your room and get ready for dinner. You would not go to the MDR in rain pants or jeans, etc.

Also, we eat more on a cruise and do not have trouble waiting until the later time.

At home we like to eat around 6-6:30 pm. But, on a cruise we always ask for the later seating. This would be especially true in Alaska--where you are in a different port almost everday. Even if you leave port or return from the excursion before the meal time you need to include the time to get back to your room and get ready for dinner. You would not go to the MDR in rain pants or jeans, etc.

Also, we eat more on a cruise and do not have trouble waiting until the later time.

Rain pants? Wow. Do they have MTD on Celebrity? Maybe 7:30 or 8:00 for dinner is the best. H

I wouldn't change it.

If your cruise line offer alternatives such as buffets or other dining venues you could use them those evenings plus you might not stay in port that late and decide to return to the ship for dinner at 6:00 PM.

It wil be quite cold in my opinion to dine outside on those two days that you visit the glaciers.

Keith

The balcony meals in Alaska, need to be accepting of having them inside. It is rare to be out without a coat on, during sailing and your food is going to quickly cool down.

Frankly, skip the meals, if needed, if you have a touring priority. There are alternative dining options.

There's really only one port departure time that would be affected on your cruise. You will need to be back on the ship at least a half hour before the scheduled departure time, so Ketchikan would be OK. I'd keep the early traditional since that is what you like. And then plan on the balcony dinner for Skagway since you think you'll miss your regular dining time that evening. Just let your waiters and tablemates know the night before.

IMO, there is NO good time to dine. :rolleyes: No matter what time, if the glaciers decide to calve you will see at least half of those dining in the MDR rush out to watch. That's what we did..............and it's a great memory to have.

If we're in an "active" location, I'd prefer to grab this and that in the buffet and enjoy what I came to see...........but that's just me.;)

Then, if we're starving later we can order Room Service.

Archived