Dream or Valor?

jwalk03

Ok so I need some help now deciding on my next cruise. I was all set to do the Dream Eastern cruise to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten, but now they have changed the itinerary on me and I can’t decide if I should stick with the

Dream and do the new itinerary (Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk)

OR if I should do the Southern Route on the Valor from San Juan- St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten.

All of these ports would be new for me, and I have not been on either ship before. I have been on Freedom which is the same class of ship as Valor, and in looking at the deck plans looks almost identical to me. Is there anything on Valor that is not on Freedom or vice versa?

Also what can’t miss things does Dream have that Valor does not?

The price is basically the same (Valor is cheaper but airfare is more so it’s basically a wash, and not really a consideration.)

It is only my g/f and I going, both in our late 20s. We love gorgeous beaches, so that is definitely a consideration as to which has the best! We spend most of our cruise sunning by the pools & hot tubs, so that’s another key feature.

As for entertainment, the comedians are typically our favorite part, though we did really really enjoy the Beatles show on Freedom (The other main shows not so much at all!) I also really enjoyed the sports bar on Freedom, and we are going during football season so I’m sure I’ll be spending more time there this time than last, when we went during basketball season.

Any helpful insight is much appreciated!!

I would tell you to do the Southern Route out of San Juan. It is so great there. IN fact I am just in the middle of writing my review from our trip this last Dec. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1768746

These islands are so much fun and much more laid Caribbean style than the Bahamas. Either way enjoy your cruise.

I would pick Puerto Rico but remember I am Puerto Rican. You could do a week in Puerto Rico and a week on a cruise. If you went to rent a place their for the week you can. I real like St. Thomas and Barbados St. Maarten is nice to. The only problem is air fair is high. If you have Jet Blue check them out I do not remember how many bags they allow on for free I just know they let you bring bags on for free.

Grand Turk is nice.

Did that first choice in spring of '11 on the Liberty. About to sail that second choice (the one out of San Juan) this spring on the Valor. LOVED the one on the Liberty. If money is an issue and you can drive to the port, do the first one. We drove to Miami but we live in the Atlanta area. It was a 10.5 hour drive. Not too bad...cheaper than flying. This time we're going all the way and flying into San Juan. Like the other poster said, it's not cheap. But if you're patient, you can get a decent deal. Right now we have a one way to SJ for $150 a person. Not too bad. Just waiting for the right deal to book our way back. If money isn't an issue, by ALL MEANS do the Southern!!!! Can't WAIT for this trip! And if you're looking for the best beaches like you mentioned, this is it. St. Lucia has been compared to Hawaii and/or Dominican Republic with its beauty. And St. Kittts (great history and beauty too) looks to be amazing as well. I'm really looking forward to these two islands most of all. St. Maarten seems quirky, cool, and beautiful too.:D

I would pick Puerto Rico but remember I am Puerto Rican. You could do a week in Puerto Rico and a week on a cruise. If you went to rent a place their for the week you can. I real like St. Thomas and Barbados St. Maarten is nice to. The only problem is air fair is high. If you have Jet Blue check them out I do not remember how many bags they allow on for free I just know they let you bring bags on for free.

Grand Turk is nice.

JCool my husband and I are flying into beautiful Puerto Rico for a 5 day vacation pre-cruise this December. We rented an apartment in Old San Juan, La Puntilla. It is so much less expensive then a hotel but larger and nicer...with an ocean view!:) Any must see tips you would like to point out would be greatly appreciated. Also great places to taste the local cuisine if you have some favorites you would like to share.

This is a good place to eat Cafeteria Mallorca 300 San Francisco, San Juan 00933, Puerto Rico 724 4607 I know you know this place. When we rent a car we rent from Charlie car rental. But it is hard to find parking in Old San Juan.

Ok so I need some help now deciding on my next cruise. I was all set to do the Dream Eastern cruise to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten, but now they have changed the itinerary on me and I can’t decide if I should stick with the

Dream and do the new itinerary (Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk)

OR if I should do the Southern Route on the Valor from San Juan- St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten.

All of these ports would be new for me, and I have not been on either ship before. I have been on Freedom which is the same class of ship as Valor, and in looking at the deck plans looks almost identical to me. Is there anything on Valor that is not on Freedom or vice versa?

Also what can’t miss things does Dream have that Valor does not?

The price is basically the same (Valor is cheaper but airfare is more so it’s basically a wash, and not really a consideration.)

It is only my g/f and I going, both in our late 20s. We love gorgeous beaches, so that is definitely a consideration as to which has the best! We spend most of our cruise sunning by the pools & hot tubs, so that’s another key feature.

As for entertainment, the comedians are typically our favorite part, though we did really really enjoy the Beatles show on Freedom (The other main shows not so much at all!) I also really enjoyed the sports bar on Freedom, and we are going during football season so I’m sure I’ll be spending more time there this time than last, when we went during basketball season.

Any helpful insight is much appreciated!!

Valor!!!!

I did not enjoy the dream because it too big and pools are tiny and public spaces always crowded. The extra wide promenade deck 5 extends out so far that no one has a good view down to the water and the deck 5 parties,hot tubs and cookouts destroy your peace and privacy on your balcony. The only positive for me was the spa which had a huge thallasotheraphy pol and heated tile loungers and aromatherapy and steam or sauna rooms. However the daily rate is expensive.

It's funny what I am reading....some have done both ships, and some have done both itineraries (me--well, working on the SJ one in March). What I think is this: It all boils down to which is more important to you....the actual ship or the itinerary. I would say itinerary. You just never know when you will have the opp. to get to those places again. Never take anything for granted:cool:.

Thank you everyone for your input so far!

I really like the Valor itinerary better, but my last cruise was on the Freedom and really want to experience a "new" ship. Even though Valor is a different ship, it looks almost identical to the Freedom to me.....

O I wish I could decide!! lol

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I'm in the same "boat" (;)) as you. Trying to decide between the Freedom and the Breeze. Either itinerary is fine with me.....but Freedom is a better price and I can get a bigger balcony or even a wrap-around......but I've been on the Freedom, Liberty, and Valor.....(all the same class) and wonder if I'd like the Breeze. I do hate crowds and long lines in the Lido restaurant. We like to lay out in the sun on sea days, and it doesn't really matter where.....just somewhere (with no smoking). :D

In this case I don't think you can go wrong with either ship, so I'd choose by itinerary, and by far my choice would be the Southern option. It's great to explore ports you haven't been to, and that cruise goes to some great ports. I loved the Valor too, but I'm sure I'd also like the Dream.

Archived