ms Oosterdam in Juneau July 11, 2017

Scrapnana

Oosterdam will be at the CT dock from 1300-2100.

Also in port are Norwegian Jewel (0700-1330) and Pearl (1400-2200) trading off the AJ dock, Millennium (0700-2130) at the AS dock, and Coral Princess (0800-2115) at the FKL dock. Seabourn Sojourn will be tendering (0800-2200).

If you liked Monday's weather, you won't be disappointed on Tuesday. Yes, once again they are calling for periods of rain (90% chance) with a high of only 56F/13C and a low of 48F/9C. Sunrise is at 4:08 am and sunset at 9:56 pm.

The PTZtv webcam can be found at http://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/ .

They also have the small SeaBird going to CT's inter dock. [600-2300]. Plan to be here for Oostie.

Ah, the Sea Bird, the only one of today's ships I have actually sailed (Columbia River, 2001). I wonder if it will appear at all on the webcam.

Roy

Ah, the Sea Bird, the only one of today's ships I have actually sailed (Columbia River, 2001). I wonder if it will appear at all on the webcam.

Roy

National Geographic's 'Seabird,' a different experience in small ship cruising

IMG_5889-2-copy-2.jpg

First noisemaker of the day; a DeHavilland-Canada DHC-3T Turbo Otter, operated by Wings Airways coming into Juneau's float plane dock. The company's DHC-3 Otters were converted between 2004 and 2005 from Pratt and Whitney radial engines to Garrett TPE331-10 turbine engines, hence the "T" in DHC-3T

I can't imagine the people taking the float planes are going to have a great view.:(

They have a "high" and a "low" ceiling flight plan depending on weather conditions. The "low" one obviously isn't as great as flight seeing on a nice day, but it is still a thrill (the lake landing is still there) for someone who has never done it

Edited by Copper10-8

National Geographic's 'Seabird,' a different experience in small ship cruising

IMG_5889-2-copy-2.jpg

Yes, but quite familiar to me. My understanding is that the design for Sea Bird and Sea Lion or is a virtual copy of my first Blount ship, and that Luther Blount actually took Lindblad to court and won a significant award for patent infringement. . When I sailed her in 2001 that first Blount ship was the only 1 I had yet been on so it felt REALLY familiar. There current ships are somewhat larger 5M longer and 3M wider but still pretty much the same. I have also sailed on one of Cruise West's mini ship but still find Blount the best of the bunch. I think there's something special about than New England work ethic.

Sea Bird never appeared on camera; it pulled in while the focus was on Millennium mooring.

Just back from the Dentist, Oosterdam getting pretty close now.

Roy

Sojourn getting ready to start tender ops

I had the impression Sojourn deployed at least one tender while still docked and may have had some business right away. I think I heard "13 guests and 3 crew" while the ship was still headed for anchorage. People who pay Seabourn prices don't want to stand on the dock while the crew sets up tender service.

Roy