Looking at Constellation for an Adriatic cruise, anyone done this one, any tips?

kikki21

Starting to look at cruises for next year, would love to do a cruise out of Venice around the Adriatic coastline, in particular want to visit Dubrovnik & Kotor. I notice that Connie does these cruises & want to get a view of what people think of them!

Thank you [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great ship and a great cruise! Did it last year and really enjoyed it.

Here´s a detailed review with tips, tour operators etc. Let it be a teaser for your cruise...

http://www.travellove.one/Our-Trips/Adriatic-Constellation-1---Ven/adriatic-constellation-1---venice.html

If we can help with any more information let us know!

Oliver

Agree totally with Miaminice. We took this cruise in September 2015. Love Constellation, she may be getting on in years but she is still a great ship.

Fantastic ports, all with interesting places to visit. Highly recommend staying in Venice for a few extra days before joining the ship as there is so much to see, do and eat. Try cicchetti, similar to tapas, for cheap eats.

Pick up the bus to Dubrovnik from the cruise port. As quick as the transfer from the ship and much cheaper - local currency needed, tho.

Highly recommend this cruise. Happy to help.

Here´s a detailed review with tips, tour operators etc. Let it be a teaser for your cruise...

http://www.travellove.one/Our-Trips/Adriatic-Constellation-1---Ven/adriatic-constellation-1---venice.html

Oliver

Wow! Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your pictures and account of your Venice trip! We were on the Connie last October also and really enjoyed the itinerary. I'm looking forward to reviewing your other trips, too, as we have done many of the same cruises. Thanks for sharing!

We are headed that way in a few weeks and really looking forward to it after hearing about our friends trip last May. One sure sign that this is a a special trip is that our cruise has been pretty much sold out for months.

Is anyone going on the connie Oct 15, rome- greece. The stops are Malta, Jerusalem, Haifa, crete and Mykonos and end in Athens. Looking for suggestions for tours in those places. It seems Malta can be done on your own, hop on,,hop off buses. Anyone want to coordinate excursions?

We did this on the Constellation in May 2016. We booked a Sunset Veranda which so worth it for the sail-ins and sail-outs. Although we were primarily interested in Croatia, we found the stop in Slovenia to be awesome. It was a great trip. Highly recommend!

Is anyone going on the connie Oct 15, rome- greece. The stops are Malta, Jerusalem, Haifa, crete and Mykonos and end in Athens. Looking for suggestions for tours in those places. It seems Malta can be done on your own, hop on,,hop off buses. Anyone want to coordinate excursions?

If you check your roll call, you'll probably find that quite a few excursions are already being coordinated.

I can help you there...

Jerusalem, Haifa etc. here: http://www.travellove.one/Our-Trips/Holy-Land-Cruise-01/holy-land-cruise-01.html

Crete and Athens etc. was also part of this one: http://www.travellove.one/Our-Trips/Reflection-Eastern-Med-01/reflection-eastern-med-01.html

And the most recent on Malta in this one:

Starting to look at cruises for next year, would love to do a cruise out of Venice around the Adriatic coastline, in particular want to visit Dubrovnik & Kotor. I notice that Connie does these cruises & want to get a view of what people think of them!

Thank you [emoji4]

We just got off this cruise two days ago on the Constellation. It looks like only change next year is that they are eliminating two days in Dubrovnik and adding a day in Slovenia. The rest (Kotor, two days in Malta, Catania, and Naples) is the same for the Venice to Civitavecchia itinerary.

I loved the itinerary. Here is a list of what we did:

Dubrovnik Day 1 - Tour of Cavtat, Mount Srd, and Old Town and dinner at a nice restaurant in Old Town.

Dubrovnik Day 2 - Walked city walls and took ferry to Lokrum for beach day.

Kotor - Tour of Budva Old Town, Lipa Caves,Centij, and Old Town of Kotor. This included the scenic drive of the mountain which was outstanding.

Valletta Day 1 - transferred to Hornblower Boat for Comino and Blue Lagoon and tour of Gozo.

Valletta Day 2 - hop on hop off Mdina and Valletta

Catania - Siracusa/Ortigia. We had been to Messina before, otherwise we would have done Etna/Taormina.

Naples - have done this port so many times and got back to Positano, Sorrento and saw Herculaneum for first time (once was enough for us for Pompeii).

This is extremely port intensive and can be tiring because of the heat. My advice would be to include either Blue Grotto or Blue Lagoon on one of the Valletta, Malta days and maybe get to Capri for boat ride and swim on Naples day. Lokrum Island in Dubrovnik is great, but with a one day limit there, concentrate on old town, walking the walls, and maybe Cavtat.

The Constellation was great as it came out of dry dock and everything showed well. The hidden gem for us on the ship was the Sunset Bar on Deck 10 outside. There's good entertainment and a nice breeze.

Brilliant thanks everyone! [emoji4]

I've been to Venice a few times & stopped over but it's a city you can keep going back to so many times.

I've also been to Dubrovnik once on a cruise & loved it so an overnight there would be great.

I like the sound of all the ports actually.

Just been to Malta & Naples & can definitely find things to do there.

I sailed on the Galaxy & loved the ship so the Connie should be great.

I'll read the reviews & persuade my fiancé we need to book.

Oliver

Of course, the passengers on that particular cruise were exceptional! ;-)

It's a great itinerary, especially if it includes Dubrovnik overnight, which enables you to get into the old town early on the second day, before the day-trippers arrive.

Stuart

Oliver

Read your review Oliver - what a fantastic cruise you had! It's definitely made me want to book it even more!

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

I don't believe we've met but I think we were on the same Iceland cruise in May of 2016. That said, thank you for this excellent report since we are booked on the September 27, 2018 cruise, Venice to Rome. We too will be arriving at the airport and would like to utilize the bus to Piazzale Roma. A few years ago a regular poster strongly recommended the Santa Chiara Hotel, especially for convenience and proximity to the PeopleMover. Can you comment on this recommendation?

Bill

Thank you [emoji4]

We were on the Connie this time last year, one of the stops was Kotor and we loved it. We did a Blue Cave Kayak trip from Viator and it was one of the high lights of the trip. another port we loved was Zadar.

Greetings, I booked this 9/27/18 cruise back in April and got a nice price on an o/v room. I had since decided that I would prefer a balcony room - each time I have looked, the balcony prices seem to have gone totally crazy!!!!

Am I missing something? or am I really looking too early and the balconies will come back to a decent cost?

I am about to look at the other reviews, even tho I am already excited for this trip! actually had it booked last year and had to cancel it........

Greetings, I booked this 9/27/18 cruise back in April and got a nice price on an o/v room. I had since decided that I would prefer a balcony room - each time I have looked, the balcony prices seem to have gone totally crazy!!!!

Am I missing something? or am I really looking too early and the balconies will come back to a decent cost?

I am about to look at the other reviews, even tho I am already excited for this trip! actually had it booked last year and had to cancel it........

I took a look at your cruise on the Celebrity website. Prices are a little strange. Concierge staterooms are currently less than regular Veranda rooms :confused: I have no idea how the pricing algorithms work nor how the revenue managers make pricing decisions. I noticed that there appeared to be many Veranda staterooms already booked and perhaps that is why the prices for those have not come down. We are booked on an April 2018 Transatlantic on Celebrity and there have been many price decreases on Veranda staterooms. OTOH other categories (Aqua and Suites) have increased sharply. But, you still have a long time to look for a decrease. Happy cruising!

Hi Oliver,

I don't believe we've met but I think we were on the same Iceland cruise in May of 2016. That said, thank you for this excellent report since we are booked on the September 27, 2018 cruise, Venice to Rome. We too will be arriving at the airport and would like to utilize the bus to Piazzale Roma. A few years ago a regular poster strongly recommended the Santa Chiara Hotel, especially for convenience and proximity to the PeopleMover. Can you comment on this recommendation?

Bill

Dear Bill,

I just checked the location of the Santa Chiara Hotel. In terms of being close to the bus stop and the people mover it seems perfect. To explore Venice you could cross the bridge to the train station and take one of the water buses right there. So the location looks great.

Oliver

Oliver

Thank you for the wonderful review and photos. It brought back memories of our favorite ports. We want to do Celebrity Europe cruise next year and the Constellation goes to our favorite ports but afraid we might be disappointed in the ship after sailing on the Solstice class, but you photos may have put those to rest..

Thank you for the wonderful review and photos. It brought back memories of our favorite ports. We want to do Celebrity Europe cruise next year and the Constellation goes to our favorite ports but afraid we might be disappointed in the ship after sailing on the Solstice class, but you photos may have put those to rest..

I can't tell you about S Class and this was our first Celebrity cruise, but I loved the Constellation. It had just come out of dry dock and public areas looked refreshed (last week) We had been regulars on Princess and this compared favorably to our cruises on Princess. The ship has 2,200 passengers and never seemed crowded. It has just about everything you want, if even on a smaller scale. Don't forget, because of its size, the Constellation can do ports that the bigger ships cannot. In the end, you need to decide how important the ships are and how important the itinerary is. We actually changed our Alaska cruise from Solstice (Seattle to Seattle) to Millennium (Vancouver to Seward) after our Constellation cruise.