Trip insurance & independent excursion

lladage

I really hope someone has had some past experience with this. I have purchased independent trip insurance (Travelex), and now have a tour operator requiring a non-refundable deposit. While it seems to be the norm for independent excursions in the British Isles, this is a rather large deposit as it covers hiring a coach for a group of people. I certainly don't plan to cancel for any reason that wouldn't be covered by my trip insurance, but as we all know, things happen. If for any reason our ship does not dock as expected, I will be out a lot of money. I called Travelex and asked if this non-refundable deposit would be covered and they said it would if due to weather or mechanical problems, but I still don't have a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling about this. Has anyone made a claim on their trip insurance for a non-refundable deposit for an independent excursion due to the ship not docking as scheduled? And if so, what was the result? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Lynn

I really hope someone has had some past experience with this. I have purchased independent trip insurance (Travelex), and now have a tour operator requiring a non-refundable deposit. While it seems to be the norm for independent excursions in the British Isles, this is a rather large deposit as it covers hiring a coach for a group of people. I certainly don't plan to cancel for any reason that wouldn't be covered by my trip insurance, but as we all know, things happen. If for any reason our ship does not dock as expected, I will be out a lot of money. I called Travelex and asked if this non-refundable deposit would be covered and they said it would if due to weather or mechanical problems, but I still don't have a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling about this. Has anyone made a claim on their trip insurance for a non-refundable deposit for an independent excursion due to the ship not docking as scheduled? And if so, what was the result? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Lynn

Which port? Perhaps someone can recommend another guide (I know that was not your question). Every port tour we have taken would not require any payment if the ship did not dock for weather or any reason.

I have not used that policy but with CSA it would be a "missed connection" if the ship did not dock.

Lynn

Just for clarification, it sounds like you are paying the deposit for a group of people rather than each individual paying their own.

I could see where the insurance company would be willing to reimburse you for your portion, but not reimburse you for the rest of the group. The insurance company is being paid by you to share a risk based on what your cruise costs, not the entire group.

Then again, I could be mistaken. I look forward to hearing from others.

Just for clarification, it sounds like you are paying the deposit for a group of people rather than each individual paying their own.

I could see where the insurance company would be willing to reimburse you for your portion, but not reimburse you for the rest of the group. The insurance company is being paid by you to share a risk based on what your cruise costs, not the entire group.

Then again, I could be mistaken. I look forward to hearing from others.

Yes, I've organized a private excursion from Belfast to the Giants Causeway and Bushmill Distillery. There are tons of these excursions offered but none that fit into our time in port, therefore the private excursion (which is less that 1/4 the cruise line price). I've got a group from our roll call wanting to join us, but someone has to bite the bullet and book the tour and put down the required deposit. As I said in my original post, I have no intention of cancelling the excursion. The tour operator says he has never heard of a cruise ship not being able to dock at Belfast, so hopefully weather will not be a problem, but the Caribbean Princess has a history of mechanical problems. I would just feel better about this if I knew of someone else who had made a similar claim and been reimbursed.

Lynn

Yes, I've organized a private excursion from Belfast to the Giants Causeway and Bushmill Distillery. There are tons of these excursions offered but none that fit into our time in port, therefore the private excursion (which is less that 1/4 the cruise line price). I've got a group from our roll call wanting to join us, but someone has to bite the bullet and book the tour and put down the required deposit. As I said in my original post, I have no intention of cancelling the excursion. The tour operator says he has never heard of a cruise ship not being able to dock at Belfast, so hopefully weather will not be a problem, but the Caribbean Princess has a history of mechanical problems. I would just feel better about this if I knew of someone else who had made a similar claim and been reimbursed.

Lynn

Why don't you get at least one other person to split the deposit with you?

If the ship does not dock as expected, most tour companies will refund anything you have paid. Why won't this company? I would be asking that of the tour company.

You must make sure you add coverage for the full amount of the deposit are making on top of what you paid for just your cruise.

I am traveling to Italy and also booked a private excursion with several other people and each of us paid a portion of the deposit. It isn't fair to you because what will you do if one of the others decide to drop out at the last minute? If they each put up a piece of the deposit you can guarantee no one will drop out.

Archived