CRAZY question about missing the boat...

Savlamara

Okay I have a friend that is extremely, i mean EXTREMELY late. She misses or is late for every. single. thing. Flights, work, church, shows, everything. I am trying to think positive, but after 20 years of knowing her, I love her, but I have to be realistic.

Here is the question, what is the penalty for missing embarkation, and flying in and getting on at the next port? Would that even be possible to get on at the next port? On the sailing I am speaking of getting on i think day 2 or 3 if she misses embarkation.

Usually if you miss embarkation you can (at your own expense of course) fly to the first port of call and board the ship, but you would need to advise the cruise line of your intention to do so. It also depends on at what port you would be joining the ship.

In the case of your friend, lie to her about boarding time. For example, if you need to be at the port no later than 3:00PM, tell her you have to be there by 1:00.

Edited by cruzeluver
more info

Okay I have a friend that is extremely, i mean EXTREMELY late. She misses or is late for every. single. thing. Flights, work, church, shows, everything. I am trying to think positive, but after 20 years of knowing her, I love her, but I have to be realistic.

Here is the question, what is the penalty for missing embarkation, and flying in and getting on at the next port? Would that even be possible to get on at the next port? On the sailing I am speaking of getting on i think day 2 or 3 if she misses embarkation.

I think her bigger problem will be standing on the dock watching her ship sail away in a foreign port. Hope she has a passport. :D

Usually if you miss embarkation you can (at your own expense of course) fly to the first port of call and board the ship, but you would need to advise the cruise line of your intention to do so. It also depends on at what port you would be joining the ship.

I don't think that is true anymore. I saw some threads on here a while back that they aren't allowing passengers to do that anymore due either to a law or problems with Customs/Immigration.

Trust me I have done the earlier time thing many times, but she has her own booking and gets emailed the same info I do. So she knows what the actual times are. Plus she would be flying into the port. I am fine with coming the day before, but she isnt. So she would fly in the day of.

Trust me I have done the earlier time thing many times, but she has her own booking and gets emailed the same info I do. So she knows what the actual times are. Plus she would be flying into the port. I am fine with coming the day before, but she isnt. So she would fly in the day of.

Make sure her flight is first thing in the morning and maybe meet her at the airport and grab a taxi together.

Make sure her flight is first thing in the morning and maybe meet her at the airport and grab a taxi together.

Yeah, good idea

As someone mentioned...I hope she's got a passport as she'll need to fly to the first port of call at her own expense to board the ship.

Yep she has a passport.

Thanks for the insight all. I know it was a crazy thought. I'll put in a call to my PVP and see what the options are for missed embarkation as well. I like to have backup plans!

Edited by Savlamara

In the Caribbean she will not be allowed to board the ship after the main embarkation.

The only way this is allowed is if the passenger has flights booked thru the cruise line and the cruise line is on the hook to fly them to the first available port.

However, as mentioned above, ICE/CBP has made it very difficult for anything like this to happen.

Tell your friend all of this, and that, if she still wants to go, she HAS to be ontime to board. If she misses the ship, the $$$hundreds she paid is gone.

IOW, don't even think about giving her an "out" for her bad habits.

Edited by thinfool

Hopefully you are not booked in same cabin - sounds like a disaster waiting to happen !

She is an adult, she will only learn to be responsible when she gets left behind/left out because of being late.

My wife has a friend who is usually late. When she is too late, she gets left behind.

Hopefully you are not booked in same cabin - sounds like a disaster waiting to happen !

She is an adult, she will only learn to be responsible when she gets left behind/left out because of being late.

My wife has a friend who is usually late. When she is too late, she gets left behind.

Yes we would be in the same cabin. I have read on here multiple times that no shows were no problem?

I don't think I could vacation with someone like that. It would drive me crazy.

My parents almost missed their ship 2 weekends ago due to the snow storm up north. My mom talked to the cruise line (in their case it was NCL). She was told that they could fly to join the ship, but they wouldn't be able to get onboard in the first two ports, Honduras or Belize. So they would miss half of their cruise. I didn't hear the whole story about why they couldn't board in Honduras or Belize. Maybe some ports do not allow it. Fortunately, my parents were able to get to their ship in time.

Your best bet might be to call Carnival and see what they say. And prepare to cruise by yourself. :) Good luck!

Sounds like a major attention getting issue your friend has - and very little consideration for others. :(

If it was me, I'd be there on time boarding as planned and if she is too late ... oh-well-too-bad...

If she misses and then attempts to fly in for a 2nd try she'll probably be late and miss that one too. But remind her to go ahead and book that extra flight ahead of time just in case.

Have a great cruise and don't let her missing the trip ruin your time.:)

Just make sure she carries her passport and a high limit credit card (and cash) at each port.

Then stop worrying or caring if she makes it. This kind of behavior is more stressful for you than her and you reward her behavior by your reactions. Simply stop reacting when she shows up early, late or on time. Your stress level will go way down and her's will go up and then she will either change this bad behavior or not but you won't be having a stroke from the stress.

Just let her be, why would you even want to babysit someone like that.

Unless she is family, I would not want to ruin my vacation by constantly worrying about her missing embarkation, missing shore excursion, missing dinner reservation, missing the ship's sail away time at every port, missing her flight and what not. She is an adult, it is time she learn to act like one.

Not to mention her being habitually late also impacts the ship's crew and other cruisers because departure will be delayed.

Edited by PCHENG

I would worry about myself and leave her to deal with it on her own. If she misses the ship then its a lesson learned the hard way. I hate dealing with people like that. DH and I are the opposite. We plan and arrive early for everything. Its painful when we host parties or even go to them. When we attend parties we have to force ourselves to be alittle late because we are always the only ones there for the first hour. We host holidays and our family knows that if they are not here by 2 we are not holding up dinner!

Anyways mentally prepare to be a solo cruiser as your back up plan just in case but let her worry about herself. If she misses the ship then she deserves it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

She's always late because she chooses to be. You're the one that is stressed...she doesn't have a care in the world.

I would not worry about her at all. She's a big girl.

Get yourself to the ship and let her worry about herself.

I have also been reading about how the cruise lines have tightened their criteria about who may fly to the next port to join the ship and this is not allowed as much as it used to be. I am also in the worry about you and let your friend worry about herself camp, especially if she's paying her own way. I do not think there is a down side to her not showing up and you having your cabin to yourself.