Bad Weather on Castaway Cay

vacamom

We are sailing on the Wonder this Sunday, Feb. 1. It seems the weather could be iffy. Does the ship still dock at CC if it's raining? I'm trying not to worry about it, since there's nothing we can do about it.:) Just wondering if anyone else has had this situation. Thanks!!

Having been in that situation before, 1 of 3 things will happen.

1. You will dock at CC at the regularly scheduled day, DEPENDING on wind conditions and long range forcast.

2. If the long range forcasts says that it will be better on mon then tues, then the ship will probably swap days or even move CC to weds.

3. Depending again on the forcast, they may not try at all and go somewhere else for the day, such as Freeport, or the Keys.

It all really depends on the forcasts, and the speed at which the fronts move. Come Sun, the Capt will look at everything and put a plan in motion.They will try and pick the best day to get to CC.They usually dont cancel CC lightly. And usually its the wind that keeps the ship away from the Island.

Hi Biddy,

I am finding different info about the weather. On one site it says it's supposed to be 81 on Monday and partly cloudy another site says rainy all day Monday and Tuesday. I'm going with the 81 and hoping we'll go to CC on Monday. We were going to do the Atlantis on Monday, but I'm holding off an that for now.

We live in Chicago, so anything will be better than the weather here.:)

Happy packing!

Happy packing to you, too, Vacamom! We're doing layers, and hoping for the best. Just couldn't see blowing $1000 on the dolphins, and having to deal with a case of pneumonia. Am assuming Nassau is still on for Monday, and maybe sea day on Tues., then CC on Wed. Our kids range from 9 to 3, and will, hopefully, LOVE the clubs, thereby giving the adults some much needed alone time. Safe travels!

Word of advice. Check the weather forecast for the Cocoa Beach Melbourne area. What the weather is supposed to be there, will be in the Bahamas within a day or so.

From what I am seeing, there should be no problem getting into Nassau or Castaway Cay as scheduled. (Of course that could change.)

Hoewever, anyone on the 3 day that leaves on Thurs, the day you guys back will be chilly.

I use weather.com and use either Nassau Bahamas or Freeport,as the City. The islands are close enough that the forcasts are pretty close, off maybe a degree or 2.The Noaa site doesnt seem to be updated that often to be accurate. It also gives a satelite pic of the Bahamas to show waht you can expect. The front that just came thru Fl, is just now in Freeport and should be over Nassau and CC later tonight or tom.After just playing with the site, if you drag the map to where Sandy Point in the Abacos are, look a little to the west and up just a little,(If you draw an imagainary line between Sandy Point and The Bight, then look to the left closer to Sandy point)there is a white piece of land. Zoom in until you can read the nameof the Island. When you see Gorda Cay, that is Castaway Cays former name.

We are sailing on the Wonder this Sunday, Feb. 1. It seems the weather could be iffy. Does the ship still dock at CC if it's raining? I'm trying not to worry about it, since there's nothing we can do about it.:) Just wondering if anyone else has had this situation. Thanks!!

Yes they do.

On my first Magic cruise in 1998, it was raining when we got to Castaway Cay but it didn't change very much. People were still swimming and playing in the sand and riding bikes. We went snorkeling which was the same in the rain. I took pictires and looking back at them now, the only way that you can tell that it was raining was that the lifeguards were all wearing rain jackets. By the afternoon it cleared up and lots of people got their cruise burns because they forgot to reapply sun screen.

We just returned from a 3-night (1/29/09). Stopped in Nassau - good weather. That night, the cold front that crossed Florida last week made its way to the Bahamas. It was partly sunny, but the seas were quite choppy and the winds were very strong. Captain Henry tried 2 or 3 times to dock at Castaway Cay, but cross winds were too strong - 35 knots! So, instead we ended up with a sea day. :( He just couldn't get the ship safely in to the dock. The crew was very fast to respond. Within 15 minutes we had all new Navigators with a "sea day" itinerary. It ended up being a very fun day despite the itinerary change. Vista Spa honored our Cabana massages and an additional wine tasting was added. And the kids had tons of fun in the Lab.

We just returned from our trip and Truck was right on with what he said about the weather. The weather in Port Canaveral was chilly on the day we departed. The weather in Nassau was beautiful 80s. Our weather at Castaway Cay was good not great. The captain got into CC on his second try, so we got a little late start. It was very windy that day, so all excursions were canceled. The only thing I felt we missed out on was snorkeling. Other than that, kids swam, rode bikes and played in the sand. I was sad when we had to go back to the boat. Even despite the windy weather, we had a great day. The island is beautiful!!! Our day at sea was cold, but sunny. The moral of this story is...Don't worry about weather! Disney does such a great job, that even if the weather isn't perfect, you will still have great time!

Yes they do.

On my first Magic cruise in 1998, it was raining when we got to Castaway Cay but it didn't change very much. People were still swimming and playing in the sand and riding bikes. We went snorkeling which was the same in the rain. I took pictires and looking back at them now, the only way that you can tell that it was raining was that the lifeguards were all wearing rain jackets. By the afternoon it cleared up and lots of people got their cruise burns because they forgot to reapply sun screen.

One time we docked at Castaway Cay and it was raining. We were given Mickey ponchos and Mickey umbrellas as we got off the ship. It did clear up after a while. Disney is always watching out for its customers.

One time we docked at Castaway Cay and it was raining. We were given Mickey ponchos and Mickey umbrellas as we got off the ship. It did clear up after a while. Disney is always watching out for its customers.

You didnt know there are transparent geodisic domes surround all of Disneys properties? After a certain amount of water hits them, it seals and filters everything except sunlight? :)

j/k

You didnt know there are transparent geodisic domes surround all of Disneys properties? After a certain amount of water hits them, it seals and filters everything except sunlight? :)

j/k

I don't know about that, we you ever caught in a monsoon at AK? It rained so hard that the CM's hearded us into the old Lion King venue because part of the park got flooded. It was the old venue. We were given towels and asked to stay put. After an hour we jogged in the rain to the bus stop. When we got back to Fort Wilderness, soaking wet, my DH who was taking a nap says, Rain? It didn't rain here...

The Magic of Disney and its geodisic domes....

I was kidding about the domes. Its a running joke with castmembers. It started because most guests will believe just about anything.There was a few of us waiting on the monorail, to head to the MK for work Someone walked up smokiing a cigarette. We told him that the MK was sealed in a geodisic dome, and that it was temperature and climate controlled, and that the cigarette would mess up the balance of the air. So the guy said really and put out the cigarette. He thanked us and went on his way. Keep in mind, this was the middle of July, and it was hot, and around 100 with the heat index.

To answer your question, I have been caught at some point in every Disney, Sea World, and Universal Park during a downpour. Each park will do something different. I was at Sea World waiting on the old Shamu Rocks show during a summer night, and it started to lightning and pour. The trainers actually came out, and asked us to stay put for our safety, until the cell passed.

I was driving out of Downtown Disney, when a microburst hit the area. It actually blew out windows in a few of the resorts on Hotel Plaza. Disney really did not do much to keep people in then except to pick up the bus slack from the charters since they got stuck behind several downed trees.

I too was on the 4 night Wonder this past week. Hooray for Captain H for getting us to CC. My family had a great time. Had gotten enough sun @ Nassau to last me the week! The last night due to the front was one of the rockiest ever for me. Not one to get sick but sure took the meds! FYI, if you find yourself getting sea sick, go to Guest Services and they will fix you up w/the meds! Awesome!

Archived