Beverage Package ID

gypsylady

When you have the classic beverage package, do they place a sticker on the card to signify it to the waiter/bartender like they often do with the soda package or is it encoded in the card to be revealed when they swipe it?

If your package is purchased or a purchase incentive (123Go/Pick Your Perk) at least a week or so before cruise start, they have time to imprint your package directly onto your cruise card.

If you purchase on board or upgrade on board, you get a sticker.

I also understand that if you need to get your card reprinted, everything prints so the sticker is not added to the new card.

When you have the classic beverage package, do they place a sticker on the card to signify it to the waiter/bartender like they often do with the soda package or is it encoded in the card to be revealed when they swipe it?

They print a 4 letter code (i think thats how many digits, like PALL or PCLA) on the card if repurchased. If bought on board it's a sticker.

However I don't believe its "encoded ": on the swipe of card to automatically take it off. Watch cashiers - they always look at the card to determine what package when entering the sale. and they push a whole lot of buttons likely in order to mark the sale as free due to package, not relying on the swipe of the card to automatically handle all that.

All the card swipe does is enter your folio number in the register to save them from hand keying that data and possibly hand keying the wrong folio number.

As I install and maintain POS systems, I have gadgets laying around. Here's what the swipe of my SeaPass cards return:

March 8 Summit sailing (paid for drinks as they came, no package)

%LASTNAME,,CURTIS ^00000^9098 ^47770711 ^ ?

;000000000000721923=?

9098 was cabin

47770711 was confirmation number

721923 was my folio number

Here's my May 29 Summit, booked last minute after they had transmitted info to the ship (again, no package)

;000000000000007503=?

Missing all the other details, only folio number, which was 7503

And my April 19 Eclipse TA, I bought the Premium beverage package.

%LASTNAME,,CURTIS ^00000^1616 ^59965181 ^ ?

;000000000000322269=?

Cabin 1616

Confirmation 59965161

Folio 322269

Notice, no difference in syntax versus the March Summit sailing, that I paid as I went.

Edited by cle-guy

When we received our final bill there were several drink charges at a couple of bars that I know were not ours due to the time of day they posted. No charge to us since we had a premium beverage package but we still wondered how that happened. I assumed that when they swiped our card, the computer read our number but from what I am reading here, the bartender has to enter the information each time.

Has anyone else had charges that shouldn't be there end up on their statement?

When we received our final bill there were several drink charges at a couple of bars that I know were not ours due to the time of day they posted. No charge to us since we had a premium beverage package but we still wondered how that happened. I assumed that when they swiped our card, the computer read our number but from what I am reading here, the bartender has to enter the information each time.

Not to profess that I know as much as CLE-GUY does about POS Sales Systems, but I've been under the impression that Celebrity's system operates by Cabin Number primarily (or name). This is Why the Wait Staff don't need SeaPass Cards from each of their more regular Guests... They memorize your name or room number.

But I agree with CLE-GUY even with the card in hand for them it isn't just a case of swipe & go... There seems to be a lot of levels of key strokes involved (item, program type, probably their own employee code etc)

So mistakes can & do happen when their are a lot of keystrokes made in what otherwise should be a quick transaction (especially so when things are busy)

Still tho the Program is a zillion times better (for us) than without... Just the ability not to sign a zillion chits is a timesaver for ALL involved.

Cheers!

On our last cruise my 10yo DD had a purchase for a "bucket of beers" on her account :eek: That charge was very promptly removed by guest relations lol

I have noticed a few extra drinks on our account when we had the beverage package that we did not consume (e.g. 3 glasses of wine each with dinner when we only had 2). Naturally I didn't bother questioning this, but wondered at the time if it somehow benefited the drinks waiter by showing he "sold" extra drinks on his shift?

But I agree with CLE-GUY even with the card in hand for them it isn't just a case of swipe & go... There seems to be a lot of levels of key strokes involved (item, program type, probably their own employee code etc)

If you note the manual bar set ups, or when they sell water getting off the ship, or watch the MDR staff/sommolier, or the brunch orange juice sales guy (well, when there was the sea day brunch) they write down the folio number, even waiters do. Otherwise they wouldn't always hit the correct sea pass card billing account in the event a cabin has a family of 4 in it, all would have same cabin number and last name.

They may use cabin number as an ALU (Alternate Look Up) on occasion but the primary will always be the folio, in order to ensure proper billing.

After a couple of days at the martini bar and getting familiar with the staff, they don't even ask for our cards because they have our folio number and name. Same goes for the sommelier in the MDR. I'm just guessing that they get mixed up once in a while, but the skeptic in me also wonders if they are shouting free drinks for customers without the package and just putting them on a card that won't be charged. Either way I'm not bothered as long as I don't get charged.

The last time we cruised our bill was so many pages that I didn't have the time to go through all the drinks. :D

And I wonder how many times someone thinks they had two glasses of wine, but really had three!!;)

We heard a few cruises ago from a bartender that the 15% prepaid gratuities charge from drink packages (paid by passengers or contributed by Celebrity as part of the 1-2-3 offer) are put into a pool and the employees divide up the pool based on drinks served. So it motivates servers to swipe your card or enter your folio number as many times as possible.....presumably for legitimate drinks you ordered. But might also explain the odd extra drink on your final bill that you don't recognize ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The sticker or indication only serves as a reminder to the server as to what package you have to help keep the drinks within your price point. They still will swipe your card for the purchase or if you frequent the bar will have it stored. I had cards with the sticker and some with it printed on and both got worn off. Still got my drinks as when they swiped my card it showed up with a package.

When leaving for a port if you get a bottle of water you will have to sign a slip, you dont just flash your card showing the sticker and get a bottle, same if you get a bottle of water in the spa or gym 1111

Drink up 🍸🍺🍻

When leaving for a port if you get a bottle of water you will have to sign a slip, you dont just flash your card showing the sticker and get a bottle,

I've never signed a slip when getting stuff leaving the ship. They HAVE taken my card number, keeping a single sheet of paper with a list of folio numbers, but never been handed a slip to sign. Most places yes a slip is prepared, but this instance, just wrote down my number in a list with a bunch of others to input later. Much as MDR staff don't take card but for the 1st evening, they just write it up and never give you a slip to sign on subsequent nights.

Maybe only those who pay as they go without packages have to sign slips...? Or those getting beverages that are 'off package' do?

Same happened most times when getting premium beverages in the Sea day brunch, only 1 time did I sign a slip, mostly was just a long list they wrote down the folio number. And that 1 time, the guy was a bit disorganized to say it nicely...

Thank to all of you for the information and cautionary tales. My card will be embedded with the information as I have the AI package offered to select Canadian cities.

Nice! Where do you find deals like this? (as you can see I'm very new here)

Nice! Where do you find deals like this? (as you can see I'm very new here)

Hi MOM-RULES,

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Celebrity Board

No doubt, GYPSYLADY is talking about the Caribbean Charters that Celebrity is running out of select Cdn Cities in Ontario, Quebec & The Maritimes for this winter... E-Ports being Fort Lauderdale or Miami (ships = Silhouette & Reflection)

They are AI Pkgs that include airfare, hotels, all transfers & the cruise... Ads have been running in Cdn Newspapers that also serve as the hub (ie London, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal & Halifax)... Check the Weekly Travel Section... Ads have been 1/2 or Full Page & in Colour.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Hi MOM-RULES,

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Celebrity Board

No doubt, GYPSYLADY is talking about the Caribbean Charters that Celebrity is running out of select Cdn Cities in Ontario, Quebec & The Maritimes for this winter... E-Ports being Fort Lauderdale or Miami (ships = Silhouette & Reflection)

They are AI Pkgs that include airfare, hotels, all transfers & the cruise... Ads have been running in Cdn Newspapers that also serve as the hub (ie London, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal & Halifax)... Check the Weekly Travel Section... Ads have been 1/2 or Full Page & in Colour.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Thanks for the welcome and the information!