Petrol-----Gasoline

post-----mail

Post code----zip code

queue-----line

bank holiday----legal holiday

Bill----Check at a restaurant

Cheers

Len

While sitting around with several of our Brit friends we met a South Carolina couple (our home) who asked us if we could SHAG.

We responded that we loved to SHAG.

The SHAG is the State Dance of South Carolina. :)

In the UK "shag" is not a dance. :D

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

LuLu

Of course not, most people know a shag is a seabird of the cormorant family (phalacrocorax aristotelis), commonly found around rocky coastlines, especially of Great Britain and Scandinavia.

While sitting around with several of our Brit friends we met a South Carolina couple (our home) who asked us if we could SHAG.

We responded that we loved to SHAG.

LuLu

The joys of the English language - nouns and verbs as homonyms.:eek:

Cider without alcohol is called apple juice (surprisingly logical for us Brits);).

I can't drink cider without ill effects - I am a beer drinker - drinking cider has the same effect on me as putting diesel into a petrol engine.:eek:

Apple juice, exactly!

I'm not sure what it is about cider, even the normal very commercial stuff, but a lot of people can't drink it.

And don't get me started on Scrumpy :eek:

Some ciders, ar in Britain, are made of pear or strawberry or elderberry with no apple at all. Other than the pear one, which is very sweet, they are very nice.

Some ciders, ar in Britain, are made of pear or strawberry or elderberry with no apple at all. Other than the pear one, which is very sweet, they are very nice.

Grrr, don't get me started :) Cider is made from apples, whatever the marketing people might say. The cider-like drink made from pears should be called perry.

I think the ones with berries are apple or pear based, blended with the relevant flavour? Round these parts there is also an old tradition of a cider-like drink made from plums, known as jerkum...which has so far defeated the marketing folk :eek:

The cider-like drink made from pears should be called perry.

And the sparkling one is champagne perry.

Invented in your neck-of-the-woods, Eagle.

In Shepton Mallet.

Became the best-known (mebbe the only?) sparkling perry, Babycham.

Apparently still in production, and still in Shepton Mallet

In the sixties it's what we teenagers would buy our girlfriends if we couldn't afford to buy them a Snowball.

We, and the girls, thought Babycham was champagne.:o

We didn't quite know what a Snowball was, but we figured from the price that it wasn't snow. :D

JB :)

In the sixties it's what we teenagers would buy our girlfriends if we couldn't afford to buy them a Snowball.

We didn't quite know what a Snowball was, but we figured from the price that it wasn't snow. :D

So of course you will remember the Party Seven's that did the rounds of parties until someone eventually found a can opener (imagine it being a ring pull:rolleyes:) and had to re-decorete the ceiling!!:D Good times!

Simon

And the sparkling one is champagne perry.

Invented in your neck-of-the-woods, Eagle.

In Shepton Mallet.

Became the best-known (mebbe the only?) sparkling perry, Babycham.

Apparently still in production, and still in Shepton Mallet

Snowball = yellow snow...:)

Babycham, with a cherry on a stick of course = the height of sophistication for a teenage girl with her hair up in a beehive and a skirt so short she daren't bend over.

So of course you will remember the Party Seven's that did the rounds of parties until someone eventually found a can opener (imagine it being a ring pull:rolleyes:) and had to re-decorete the ceiling!!:D Good times!

Simon

Our first contact with re-cycling - Party Seven tins became waste paper baskets and Mateus Rose bottles became lamp stands.

Once you've mastered English, come on over to Ireland where we'll add on Hiberno-English, and teach you about presses, hot presses, messages, teaming the poppies (or the prataís), sliced pans, and how some people aren't as green as they're cabbage looking -possibly referring to yer wan over there.

Then we'll move on to the difficult stuff ;)

Used to love Babycham - with the little white plastic deer around the neck of the bottle.

Also differences we picked up on..

Biscuits in the USA is different to a biscuit in UK - in UK & Australia is a cookie (not served with gravy).

Candy in the USA is chocolate in UK and Australia.

Dosh is money-cash

And from watching the highly informative TOWIE - well jel means extremely jealous.

As well as the previous baps and norks you can add knockers for female breasts.

...and thats why we call them 'bum bags', not 'fanny packs'!

Simon

Ah yes, had a very interesting conversation with a vendor at Disney a few years back. One of the highlights of my holiday! Never ask a Midwife why we don't call them Fanny Packs. He now know exactly what a fanny is! Hilarious conversation.

Our first contact with re-cycling - Party Seven tins became waste paper baskets and Mateus Rose bottles became lamp stands.

Steve, you are clearly a man of sophistication - Mateus Rose, a wine for the connoisseur. :rolleyes:

Same as Black Tower Lieb', rather than the Blue Nun which was preferred by the plebs. :D

Used to love Babycham - with the little white plastic deer around the neck of the bottle.

Also differences we picked up on..

Biscuits in the USA is different to a biscuit in UK - in UK & Australia is a cookie (not served with gravy).

Candy in the USA is chocolate in UK and Australia.

Dosh is money-cash

And from watching the highly informative TOWIE - well jel means extremely jealous.

As well as the previous baps and norks you can add knockers for female breasts.

Babycham has had a bit of a revival. And it is actually pretty nice with a shot of brandy added. Cuts that sweetness right down! :)

Grrr, don't get me started :) Cider is made from apples, whatever the marketing people might say. The cider-like drink made from pears should be called perry.

I think the ones with berries are apple or pear based, blended with the relevant flavour? Round these parts there is also an old tradition of a cider-like drink made from plums, known as jerkum...which has so far defeated the marketing folk :eek:

Exactly. Cider is made from apples and only apples! And it is an alcoholic drink. Or 'adult beverage' as the common parlance seems to go these days. Oh yes, I'm getting old.

I hear myself saying "perry" under my breath when younger companions in the pub order "pear cider". :D

Steve, you are clearly a man of sophistication - Mateus Rose, a wine for the connoisseur. :rolleyes:

Same as Black Tower Lieb', rather than the Blue Nun which was preferred by the plebs. :D

Oh yes, Black Tower was seen as the height of sophistication and good taste:rolleyes:. Otherwise it was Peter Dominic red or white - no guff about grape varieties...

The Mateus Rose lamp-stands were made by some of my friends parents - not me, guv, honest!

Being a beer drinker, I recall with horror the white cans of Long Life 'beer' and Watneys Red (like making love in a boat...).

The joy of finding Burton ale or Ruddles County on hand-pump made up for it though.