Cruising vegan (mostly)

MackC

Hey all.

My cruise leaves at the end of November and this will be my first trip as a vegan and fitness competitor in training. I've been reading up on the threads here on CC about cruising vegan/vegetarian.

I'm going to bring a few things with me such as protein powder packets and some vegan bars just in case. I've read it's appropriate to tell my waiter of my special diet. But, I'm wondering if it'll just be possible for me to modify the standard menu in the MDR to my needs. I'm not keen on making my diet my waiters problem. Any tips or suggestions welcome.

Do any of you with special dietary needs being things along to supplement your dietary needs?

I've got a very annoying egg allergy and dairy sensitivity that cause full body hives and various other issues. Enough so that consuming these things would ruin my trip. I'm trying to be rational while maintaining my wellness.

Edited by MackC
Deleted an autocorrect

Hey all.

My cruise leaves at the end of November and this will be my first trip as a vegan and fitness competitor in training. I've been reading up on the threads here on CC about cruising vegan/vegetarian.

I'm going to bring a few things with me such as protein powder packets and some vegan bars just in case. I've read it's appropriate to tell my waiter of my special diet. But, I'm wondering if it'll just be possible for me to modify the standard menu in the MDR to my needs. I'm not keen on making my diet my waiters problem. Any tips or suggestions welcome.

Do any of you with special dietary needs being things along to supplement your dietary needs?

I've got a very annoying egg allergy and dairy sensitivity that cause full body hives and various other issues. Enough so that consuming these things would ruin my trip. I'm trying to be rational while maintaining my wellness.

You need to get in touch with the cruise line in advance about the food allergies and vegan diet.

I bring along my protein powder and some organic granola bars when I travel, just in case, but that's it. Everything else I have not had trouble having the ship accommodate--and I have a umber if food allergies and that many more aversions.

It will be nearly I possible to just have the menu items modified, this is banquet style, assembly line food, not made to order. But if you let them know in advance, they will be able to accommodate you.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

One other thing, you are either vegan or you aren't. If you are actually ovo-lacto vegetarian or pescatarian, don't say you are vegan. If you claim to be vegan and then put butter on your vegetables, you have just lost your vegan card, and the kitchen will be far less likely to take your requests seriously. There is no such thing as "mostly vegan."

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Thanks for the input and advice. I'll have to google those terms you provided to be sure and identify myself correctly. I'm new to the lifestyle and I can't say I'm 100% vegan yet, that would be a lie. I'm a vegan rookie please forgive me!!!

Edited by MackC
To remove a previous post containing comments from my unfiltered mouth.

• 2 months later...

Don't feel awkward. The term vegan has a very strict meaning to those who choose this way of eating as part of an ethical philosophy. In that context, the term vegan can describe a life choice beyond food(honey, sugar that has used animal products in processing, etc) , avoiding any animal products for clothing, furniture, etc. Using the word vegan has also become an efficient way to communicate food choice preferences for people whose diet is mostly plant based. I suppose I'd sum it up as the difference between using the word "vegan" as a noun (I am a vegan) versus as a descriptive adjective (vegan lasagna). I'm afraid that telling a Maitre d' that you want to keep to a "predominantly plant based" or "mostly vegan" diet while in the dining room might just cause confusion. The problem with using the descriptor "vegetarian" or any hyphenated subcategory of "vegetarian" is that, if you are trying to avoid foods, for preference or health reasons, that are sometimes considered vegetarian or sub category acceptable (contain eggs, milk, fish etc), the term vegetarian does not always communicate that. You are much more likely to be successful to ask for vegan choices, to say that you are vegan, to help them understand the type of food you prefer.

While you are on your cruise, where language, communication, and restaurant/menu categories are factors, using the term "vegan" to describe your food desires may be the most successful. I suppose, to be most exact, no one could argue if you said "I follow a vegan diet". You would then not ever have to worry about inaccurate representation with someone who has chosen a complete vegan lifestyle. But with dining room staff, I would just go the route of saying what you did, to increase chance of success. PS: French bread, which is flour, salt, yeast, water is vegan