Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > British Isles/Western Europe

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

British Isles/Western Europe Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)

Old October 6th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default tram or canal bus?

We will be in Amsterdam in December. Should we use the canal bus or the trams to get around the city? Thanks for any help you can give us.

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:11 AM
5,000+ Club

Location: The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico

It just depends where you want to go. I think trams give far more choices. Canalbus of course can only be used in canals.
Frequent stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Old October 7th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Trams for me

My frequent trips to Amsterdam have left me with the personal opinion that the tram is by far the best way of travelling around the city. I always buy a 24 hr pass to get around.

Roy and Fiona

What's next:
April 2014 - 16 nights Legend of the Seas - TA to Copenhagen from Fort Lauderdale

Previous cruises:
2013 Independence of the Seas - Southampton, Le Havre and Zeebrugge
2012 Brilliance of the Seas - Copenhagen to Norwegian Fjords
2011 Independence OTS: 4 nights from Southampton - Cobh, Ireland; Voyager OTS 7 Adriatic night ex-Venice; Navigator OTS 7 nights ex-Rome.
2010 Majesty OTS 3+4 nights Bahamas B2B * Oasis OTS 'The Oasis Camels Cruise' 7 nights E. Caribbean * 5 nights Grandeur OTS from Fort Lauderdale - W Caribbean.
2009 Independence OTS: 4 nights from Southampton - Cobh, Ireland * Navigator OTS: 5 nights from Malaga - Tenerrife and Maderia.
2008 Monarch OTS: 3 & 4 night, back to back from Los Angeles - Baja California.
2007 Jewel OTS: 4 nights from Oslo- Copenhagen and Hamburg
2006 Jewel OTS: 7 nights 'The Foliage Cruise' 7 nights from Boston - New England & Canada
2005 Jewel OTS: 'The Scotch & Water Cruise' 12 nights from Harwich - Scandinavia & Russia * Brilliance OTS: 3 nights from Bacelona - Mediterranean
2004 Monarch OTS: from Los Angeles - Baja California
2003 Splendour OTS: 7 nights from Bacelona - Europe

Old October 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would go on both as you will get a different perspective from the canal.

Old October 7th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

One definitely ought to do a canal cruise if you do not use the canal bus.

The trams are easy to use. But, locating the proper tram for where we wanted to go was a challenge for us in the Central Station area. Even locating where to board a tram going in the opposite direction from where we were was not always easy. But, this may have been due to the fact we were first time visitors to Amsterdam.

Old October 10th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Trams are great. I would use them for getting around the city and take a canal tour at night for the experience. We did one with wine and cheese and a small Jazz combo aboard and it was very nice. OTOH, the canal bus stops are easy to use since there's only a short walk from canal to canal and places in between. I would still use the Tram for most transportation.

Cheers

Last edited by skisteamboat; October 10th, 2013 at 07:59 AM.

Old October 17th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just returned from a week in Amsterdam and for us, tram and bus were the way to get around town. One problem with the trams was that a large section of the system is being renovated. Several of the lines have been temporarily changed. From what I saw not sure if they will be done by Decmeber. If you are taking more than two bus/tram trips in the same day it pays to get a 24 hour ticket. You can purchase tickets on the tram or bus.

[

Monarch of Seas - So Caribbean 1997, Song of America - Mexico 1998, Legend of Seas - Hawaii 1999, Vision of Seas - Alaska 2001, Golden Princess - Mediterranian 2002, Noordam - Rome/Copenhagen Repositioning 2003, Monarch of Seas - Baja 2004, Serenade of Seas -Panama Canal 2005, Ryndam - Pacific NW 2006, Constellation -Canada New England 2006, Mariner of Seas - Western Caribbean 2008, Serenade of the Seas - Ultimate Alaska 2009, Equinox - Holy Land 2010, Constellation - Turkey & Greece 2011, Mariner of the Seas - Western Caribbean 2012, Silhouette - Italy & Croatia 2012, Brilliance of the Seas - Baltic 2013

Old March 21st, 2014, 08:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

I hope it is OK for me to add my question here. I am confused by the ticket situation. There talk about a chip card that has to be purchased then loaded with the pass. You have made it simple. I do not have to buy a chip card. I just get on my first tram and buy the 24 hour pass, correct. Now, I have to scan the pass when I get on and off? Thanks.

Old March 21st, 2014, 11:28 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&T View Post
I hope it is OK for me to add my question here. I am confused by the ticket situation. There talk about a chip card that has to be purchased then loaded with the pass. You have made it simple. I do not have to buy a chip card. I just get on my first tram and buy the 24 hour pass, correct. Now, I have to scan the pass when I get on and off? Thanks.
depends on where you are going if the day pass will work better for you or not

You can buy the 24 hr pass on the tram (go to centre of the tram conductor) then you scan when you get on the trams & when you get off the trams
It is just how it works there

If you are there longer than 1 day I would buy one of the other passes ..we had the 48 hr pass
http://en.gvb.nl/ovinmamsterdam/Pages/bestdeal.aspx

Last edited by LHT28; March 21st, 2014 at 11:32 AM.

Old March 21st, 2014, 01:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

The first day we arrive around 8 on Sunday the 13th of April. We plan to take the canal bus that day. Then, the next day, we will use the tram to go to the Rijksmuseum and other places all day. The next day we will go to Keukenhof, if tulips are peak, or the waterland towns. We will get the Waterland ticket. Is it still 10 Euros? Then, we will be gone for several days and back for a day and a half. The half day we might use the tram not sure yet. Then, for the whole day, we will either do waterland or Keukenhof. Thank you so much.

Old April 1st, 2014, 03:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
The first day we arrive around 8 on Sunday the 13th of April. We plan to take the canal bus that day. Then, the next day, we will use the tram to go to the Rijksmuseum and other places all day. The next day we will go to Keukenhof, if tulips are peak, or the waterland towns. We will get the Waterland ticket. Is it still 10 Euros? Then, we will be gone for several days and back for a day and a half. The half day we might use the tram not sure yet. Then, for the whole day, we will either do waterland or Keukenhof. Thank you so much.
What is the Waterland ticket? I never heard of that ticket before. We will be heading to Amsterdam in 56 days.

Thanks,

Marion
Queen of Bermuda 6/62,Carnival Paradise 3/99,Renaissance 4 2/01,Summit 11/01,Millennium 2/02,Mercury 11/02,Star Princess 2/03,Zuiderdam 8/03,Century 10/03,Voyager of the Sea 2/04,Regal Princess - Alaska 7/04,Zaandam 12/04,Galaxy 9/05Infinity 1/06,Jewel of the Seas 8/06,Zenith 1/07,Adventurer of the Seas 9/07,Oceania Insignia TA 3/08,Solstice 11/08,NCL Jade 5/09,Diamond Princess-Alaska 8/09,Oceania Regatta TA 11/14/09,Oceania Marina TA 1/22/11,Oasis of the Seas 10/29/11,Oceania Marina 1/3/12,Amazara Journey TA 4/18/12,Carnival Breeze 10/1/12,Azamara Quest TA 11/13/13,NCL Epic 2/22/14,Avalon Visionary 5/24/14,Carnival Splendor 9/27/14

Old April 1st, 2014, 03:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

It is a bus ticket that one uses in one day to go to several towns of your choosing North of Amsterdam. We will visit Volendam, Marken, Broeck in Waterland and Monnickendam. If you go to your browser and type in any of these town names, you will see pictures. The ticket is 10 euros. You use the EBS buses. Go to their site and use the planner to enter where you want to go. In that way, you find out the bus numbers. You go get on the bus and buy the ticket on the bus.

Old April 1st, 2014, 04:08 PM
5,000+ Club

Location: The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico

Quote:
Check these cards: http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/Expe...f%20the%20card
or
http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/expe...ion-day-ticket
Frequent stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Old April 1st, 2014, 05:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

OK. Thanks.

Old April 1st, 2014, 07:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
It is a bus ticket that one uses in one day to go to several towns of your choosing North of Amsterdam. We will visit Volendam, Marken, Broeck in Waterland and Monnickendam. If you go to your browser and type in any of these town names, you will see pictures. The ticket is 10 euros. You use the EBS buses. Go to their site and use the planner to enter where you want to go. In that way, you find out the bus numbers. You go get on the bus and buy the ticket on the bus.
Thanks - so much to learn- so little time! LOL

Marion
Queen of Bermuda 6/62,Carnival Paradise 3/99,Renaissance 4 2/01,Summit 11/01,Millennium 2/02,Mercury 11/02,Star Princess 2/03,Zuiderdam 8/03,Century 10/03,Voyager of the Sea 2/04,Regal Princess - Alaska 7/04,Zaandam 12/04,Galaxy 9/05Infinity 1/06,Jewel of the Seas 8/06,Zenith 1/07,Adventurer of the Seas 9/07,Oceania Insignia TA 3/08,Solstice 11/08,NCL Jade 5/09,Diamond Princess-Alaska 8/09,Oceania Regatta TA 11/14/09,Oceania Marina TA 1/22/11,Oasis of the Seas 10/29/11,Oceania Marina 1/3/12,Amazara Journey TA 4/18/12,Carnival Breeze 10/1/12,Azamara Quest TA 11/13/13,NCL Epic 2/22/14,Avalon Visionary 5/24/14,Carnival Splendor 9/27/14

Old April 1st, 2014, 08:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Happy to answer any questions you have.