Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (M B T A ) Buy your Charlie Cards !

AAAAmerican

The "T" fare is $2 without a Charlie Card(Charlie Ticket) and $1.70 with a Charlie card. You can order a Charlie Card online with $5 or $10 preloaded onto it. A Charlie card can be used to pay for more than 1 person. So you can preorder a Charlie Card to use on the Silver Line when you disembark, and then add value to it at a ticket machine when you get off your first ride.

We are going to take the silver line from the cruise ship to South Station.

Then we are taking the Red Line to the John Adams Home and Museum.

Should I buy my bus and subway ticket online before I go. Can I just pay

for the bus when I step on. I think I may have read you could get a 1 day pass for $9.00 and that would cover us no matter how many times we got off and on the T. Is this true? We may stop at John F. Kennendy Library too. I have already been there but might do it again. We really want to see John Adams Home. I have been to Boston twice and this would be something different. What a terrific city. Thanks for the info:)

I'm not sure the $9 all day pass will really be worth it for you. You can't buy them online and I don't think you can buy them at Black Falcon - no vending machines. So you'd have to spend $2 to get to a place where you could buy them, so it would be $11 instead of $9.

If you're going to John Adams house, that is one fare. If you come back and stop at JFK Library, it's another fare, and a 3rd fare to get back to Black Falcon. You'd have to get on and off the "T" more than 6 times to make the day pass cost effective. The fare with a Charlie Card (as opposed to an individual Charlie Ticket) is only $1.70.

If it were me, I'd buy a $5 or $10 card online and take it from there. You'll be all set to go when you get off the ship while others are trying to figure out what to do. Chances are you will always be riding one of the subways, so you will have access to the fare vending machines to add value to the card. With a debit or credit card, you can always add the exact amount you need, even if it's $.20.

Archived