Recall of PeaPod travel tents

boulders

That is very sad. We love our Peapod. We started using it when our dd was 18 months old. For anyone who does use the Peapod, it is important that the air mattress be inserted in to the special pouch and not just placed inside the tent.

We also leave one door panel open and roll it up. Even though this has been recalled I would continue to use it. But I would caution parents to take precautions. I would never Use with a baby under 12 months.

We will not be taking advantage of the update kit and will continue to use with our son, now age 3.5. Although the death of any child is a tragedy, I 100% can say that as a parent, I would not have used the tent for a 5 month old, let alone a pair of 5 month olds together, which is the death that occurred. Articles on the recall also clearly state that the dangerous "pocket" forms when the air mattress is placed inside the tent and not in the intended zippered mattress compartment under the sleeping area. I really hope this doesn't kill the company, because it's a great product when used for the appropriate age group.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I was surprised to read this as well. My now 17-month old LOVES his peapod and I cannot figure out how in the world any type of "pocket" could occur with the mattress unless someone is ignoring the clearly posted useage instructions is putting the mattress inside the tent instead of in the designated outside zipper pocket. My son started sleeping in this during a camping trip we took when he was almost 11 months (probably wouldn't use it for overnight sleep until they are solidly mobile) and we found quite quickly that he slept better in the tent than even in his crib. I don't know if it was the cozy tent atmosphere or the air mattress, but whatever it was, we still use it daily and he loves it. Makes travel so easy, no matter where we go or what the unfamiliar surroundings are, he falls right to sleep and sleeps like a rock. He didn't do that as well in a pack-n-play. And MAN is that thing easier to cart around!! :)

I grieve for the parents who suffered the loss, but I would still highly recommend the bed for travel.

~Lisa :p

• 4 weeks later...

We haven't tried it on a ship bed, but the peapod lite is pretty large. You may want to take measurements. It doesn't fit comfortably between my husband and I on our queen bed at home. As a tent for the beach though, it works like a charm!!!

I didn't even though of using the pull-out couch! I would think it should have no problems fitting there. The cruiseline should be able to tell you the dimensions to be sure. To be extra safe, I would probably bring a bungee cord to secure the tent to the bed in the unlikely case the ship moves around a bit (the bottom of the peapod is smooth).

It may also fit between two adults on the king bed. Really depends on the size of the adults and how much sleeping room they need.

It's sad to hear of incidents of children suffering from adult stupidity. Many product recalls are just from adult stupidity. I remember the bumbo seat was recalled because parents placed the seat on top of a table, then the baby would fall out of it and off the table!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I agree with you, Showtune. It's a fantastic company, though it's really a shame that something like this took place. Obviously the target group should be considered.

We will not be taking advantage of the update kit and will continue to use with our son, now age 3.5. Although the death of any child is a tragedy, I 100% can say that as a parent, I would not have used the tent for a 5 month old, let alone a pair of 5 month olds together, which is the death that occurred. Articles on the recall also clearly state that the dangerous "pocket" forms when the air mattress is placed inside the tent and not in the intended zippered mattress compartment under the sleeping area. I really hope this doesn't kill the company, because it's a great product when used for the appropriate age group.

We got the repair kit, but didn't use it for our last trip to Mexico. The original set up seems very safe to us. As for where in a cabin we set our up... I think we just put it on the love seat thingy beside the bed. It fit nicely :)

Archived