tram or canal bus?

One definitely ought to do a canal cruise if you do not use the canal bus.

The trams are easy to use. But, locating the proper tram for where we wanted to go was a challenge for us in the Central Station area. Even locating where to board a tram going in the opposite direction from where we were was not always easy. But, this may have been due to the fact we were first time visitors to Amsterdam.

Trams are great. I would use them for getting around the city and take a canal tour at night for the experience. We did one with wine and cheese and a small Jazz combo aboard and it was very nice. OTOH, the canal bus stops are easy to use since there's only a short walk from canal to canal and places in between. I would still use the Tram for most transportation.

Cheers

Edited by skisteamboat

Just returned from a week in Amsterdam and for us, tram and bus were the way to get around town. One problem with the trams was that a large section of the system is being renovated. Several of the lines have been temporarily changed. From what I saw not sure if they will be done by Decmeber. If you are taking more than two bus/tram trips in the same day it pays to get a 24 hour ticket. You can purchase tickets on the tram or bus.

• 5 months later...

I hope it is OK for me to add my question here. I am confused by the ticket situation. There talk about a chip card that has to be purchased then loaded with the pass. You have made it simple. I do not have to buy a chip card. I just get on my first tram and buy the 24 hour pass, correct. Now, I have to scan the pass when I get on and off? Thanks.

I hope it is OK for me to add my question here. I am confused by the ticket situation. There talk about a chip card that has to be purchased then loaded with the pass. You have made it simple. I do not have to buy a chip card. I just get on my first tram and buy the 24 hour pass, correct. Now, I have to scan the pass when I get on and off? Thanks.

depends on where you are going if the day pass will work better for you or not

You can buy the 24 hr pass on the tram (go to centre of the tram conductor) then you scan when you get on the trams & when you get off the trams

It is just how it works there ;)

If you are there longer than 1 day I would buy one of the other passes ..we had the 48 hr pass

http://en.gvb.nl/ovinmamsterdam/Pages/bestdeal.aspx

Edited by LHT28

The first day we arrive around 8 on Sunday the 13th of April. We plan to take the canal bus that day. Then, the next day, we will use the tram to go to the Rijksmuseum and other places all day. The next day we will go to Keukenhof, if tulips are peak, or the waterland towns. We will get the Waterland ticket. Is it still 10 Euros? Then, we will be gone for several days and back for a day and a half. The half day we might use the tram not sure yet. Then, for the whole day, we will either do waterland or Keukenhof. Thank you so much.

• 2 weeks later...
The first day we arrive around 8 on Sunday the 13th of April. We plan to take the canal bus that day. Then, the next day, we will use the tram to go to the Rijksmuseum and other places all day. The next day we will go to Keukenhof, if tulips are peak, or the waterland towns. We will get the Waterland ticket. Is it still 10 Euros? Then, we will be gone for several days and back for a day and a half. The half day we might use the tram not sure yet. Then, for the whole day, we will either do waterland or Keukenhof. Thank you so much.

What is the Waterland ticket? I never heard of that ticket before. We will be heading to Amsterdam in 56 days.

Thanks,

Marion

It is a bus ticket that one uses in one day to go to several towns of your choosing North of Amsterdam. We will visit Volendam, Marken, Broeck in Waterland and Monnickendam. If you go to your browser and type in any of these town names, you will see pictures. The ticket is 10 euros. You use the EBS buses. Go to their site and use the planner to enter where you want to go. In that way, you find out the bus numbers. You go get on the bus and buy the ticket on the bus.

Check these cards: http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/Experience/Deals/I%20amsterdam%20City%20Card/Benefits%20of%20the%20card

or

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/experience/plan-your-trip/getting-around/public-transport/region-day-ticket

It is a bus ticket that one uses in one day to go to several towns of your choosing North of Amsterdam. We will visit Volendam, Marken, Broeck in Waterland and Monnickendam. If you go to your browser and type in any of these town names, you will see pictures. The ticket is 10 euros. You use the EBS buses. Go to their site and use the planner to enter where you want to go. In that way, you find out the bus numbers. You go get on the bus and buy the ticket on the bus.

Thanks - so much to learn- so little time! LOL

Marion